Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
MrFrood

#811 Post by MrFrood »

I believe that would be root-tail

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#812 Post by canci »

tnx :)

it's some anime wallpaper I got from, uhm, dunno where... I randomly change the colour of it, and kinda
sticked to this one. PM me if you want it.

MOC is, well, very fast, only uses a console... add to that the fact that once you have FFMPEG from Debian
Multimedia and the moc ffmpeg plugin, it plays more or less everything. Although WMA crashes moc
for me sometimes.

The terminal in the background is actually only output from a log file - It's root-tail, a prog that shows the last
lines of a text file in the background. Pretty nifty to show /var/log/messages which shows
stuff like if USB drives have been recognized.

Welcome to Fluxbox!
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

diveli

#813 Post by diveli »

Nice one. I got moc and root-tail going except that root-tail disappears after a few seconds. Maybe a lenny-related problem... haven't nutted that out yet.

[edit] figured that one out - doesn't like running alongside conky

Big fan of moc :)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#814 Post by canci »

diveli wrote:[root-tail] doesn't like running alongside conky
I had the same problem - tried to fix it by making a script that'd call root-tail from conky, but it gave the same
result... :( Any1 has a tip on how to incorporate both on a root window?

TNX!
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

Ook

#815 Post by Ook »

Well, no tips, but I have conky 1.4.4-1 and root-tail 1.2-2 running together under openbox 3.3-2.1 on etch kernel 2.6.18-6-686. No problems. If you think of any relevant questions . . .

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#816 Post by canci »

@Ook: TNX for the info! I have the same versions, so it might perhaps be Fluxbox not being able to appoint
root window space to both conky and root-tail? If this is blasphemy, don't yell, I just assumed... :) Anyway,
could you [Ook] paste me the flags you use with root-tail?

TNX!

READ THIS:

hellfire[bg]

#817 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Right now it looks like this:
It is Fedora inspired with the wallpaper form Fedora 7, the gtk theme is Nodoka and the icon theme is Echo. I have also installed the nodoka theme for the notification daemon.
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Ook

#818 Post by Ook »

canci wrote:@Ook: TNX for the info! I have the same versions, so it might perhaps be Fluxbox not being able to appoint
root window space to both conky and root-tail? If this is blasphemy, don't yell, I just assumed... :) Anyway,
could you [Ook] paste me the flags you use with root-tail?

TNX!
I'm neither a yeller nor someone who knows what he is doing :!: :)

I don't use the id option. Just a real simple line in my autostart.sh file.

Code: Select all

root-tail -g 848x614+5+32 -font fixed /var/log/syslog,green /var/log/auth.log,yellow /var/log/faillog,red /var/log/user.log,white /var/log/dmesg,aqua /var/log/debug,"#ffA500" /var/log/Xorg.0.log,grey &
Here is a how-to about getting root-tail to work in XFCE--maybe a problem similar to your fluxbox problem--using a the id flag with an xprop command. No date or version numbers, but maybe there is something to it.

http://www.explodingpanda.com/slackpages/roottail.php

There are some options to root-tail:
moRT,
root-portal,
xroottext,
paralogger.

I don't know if they are all in Debian repositories.[/code]

chickamade

#819 Post by chickamade »

Theme: Elegant Brit

Wallpaper: http://customize.org/wallpapers/52135?skin=gaia

Vim font is Monaco, colorscheme is zen.

Dock: just the default panel customized

OmniCloud

#820 Post by OmniCloud »

Here's my buntu desktop with Gnome...

I switch between awn and desktop icons;) Here's my other setup...

"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, haughty, blasphemers, without love of goodness...."

Seek truth...

diveli

#821 Post by diveli »

canci wrote:
diveli wrote:[root-tail] doesn't like running alongside conky
I had the same problem - tried to fix it by making a script that'd call root-tail from conky, but it gave the same
result... :( Any1 has a tip on how to incorporate both on a root window?

TNX!
Nailed this one in the end. conky needed to run in its own window (own_window yes in .conkyrc). After that, root-tail was happy.

Shakey_Jake33

#822 Post by Shakey_Jake33 »

Some mighty impressive desktops here! Mine is so boring in comparison.
The background is J-Pop group AKB48, before anyone ask. And yeah, low res backgrounds look nasty...

Mind you, boring my desktop may be, but it's exactly how I want it (and exactly how I cannot get it in Windows). Minimalist and low resource, but not overly so as to make things a pain. You guys have impressive desktops with use of transparencies and panels, but that's exactly the kind of thing I don't want tbh, extra stuff using resources. Same reason I don't like Compiz or Aero.

Each to their own of course, the main strength of FOSS is choice etc!

OmniCloud

#823 Post by OmniCloud »

Shakey_Jake33 wrote:Some mighty impressive desktops here! Mine is so boring in comparison.
The background is J-Pop group AKB48, before anyone ask. And yeah, low res backgrounds look nasty...

Mind you, boring my desktop may be, but it's exactly how I want it (and exactly how I cannot get it in Windows). Minimalist and low resource, but not overly so as to make things a pain. You guys have impressive desktops with use of transparencies and panels, but that's exactly the kind of thing I don't want tbh, extra stuff using resources. Same reason I don't like Compiz or Aero.

Each to their own of course, the main strength of FOSS is choice etc!
indeed, that's why many of the users run fluxbox on there system as well when the need to just get things done quickly is needed.

my memory stays around 350mb tops with many apps running on Debian. With buntu because of Compiz it gets a little higher than that.

However, flux always stays in the 125-200 range and very fast.

Nothing beats puppy tho man...Nothing! lol
"But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, haughty, blasphemers, without love of goodness...."

Seek truth...

Shakey_Jake33

#824 Post by Shakey_Jake33 »

I checked out the screenshots on the Fluxbox page, and it does look very nice for such a minimalist desktop environment! I may give it a test on my Barton over the weekend.

lucho

#825 Post by lucho »

After a period of absence here's my main desktops. The first is my tried-and-true Debian, in 64-bit Sid. The second is more recent: I decided to give Slackware a try. It's the 64-bit version, BlueWhite64. Both run a barebones KDE 3.5.9

Procrastination is like masturbation: you're only screwing yourself

stoffepojken

#826 Post by stoffepojken »

GNOME, AWN, Emacs @ Debian Testing

julian67

#827 Post by julian67 »

Debian Lenny, Xfce.

Pakos

#828 Post by Pakos »

Image Image

drokmed

#829 Post by drokmed »