Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ruffwoof

Re: What does your desktop look like?

#5146 Post by ruffwoof »

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:
Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

EDIT: Just timed it, 7 seconds.
systemd-analyze time I guess. If you count from when turning the PC on ... well mine takes ages to run through BIOS and then waits a while for me to maybe press DEL or a Fn key ... before finally getting to the grub menu :( That alone is around a 30 second wait on mine. Then more usually another 30 seconds to get to the Debian login prompt.

GarryRicketson

#5147 Post by GarryRicketson »

That is all very nice, but let's keep in mind the topic is :

What does your desktop look like?
Not "How fast can your computer boot"
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
7.Stay on topic. Sometimes threads morph into something completely off topic, this is unavoidable when a bunch of people communicate. However, try to limit the off topic discussions to the off topic category. Long off topic discussions in other categories might get moved or locked.
Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc. Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board.
Avoid 'thread hijacking'. Unless your question is directly related to the thread's topic, start a new one.

stevepusser

#5148 Post by stevepusser »

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:
Lysander wrote:You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!
Love your wallpaper of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park (California) (searched using Tiny Eye reverse image search) :)

systemd-analyze plot >s.svg and then viewing the (large) svg file shows that wicd (network) is the bottleneck for me. Without that would be a second or two faster. My setup gets to the login prompt and networking messages are still showing as I've entered the userid and password, so perhaps the timing might be several seconds less if I swapped wicd out ... but I like it personally.

I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:
Thanks for the confirmation of location! I had no idea where it was but suspected it was somewhere in the US. What a beautiful location.

Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

EDIT: Just timed it, 7 seconds.
The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#5149 Post by Lysander »

stevepusser wrote:
The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.
Indeed, thanks for the link. Very interesting to see the same location in different state during the day.

And here's a photo in situ

ruffwoof

#5150 Post by ruffwoof »

Debian standard (command line) ... added xorg, openbox, compton (shadow effects), stalonetray (tray) ... and if you edit the openbox menu to have blank label values, leaving just icons ... then the effect is quite nice IMO

If in obconf you set a 1 pixel left screen edge margin, then even if a window is 'full screen' you can still mouse over to the left screen edge and click to access the menu

Openbox Pipe menus options are a nice feature, this one just has a menu item that pulls in the date and time

Add in Brightside for hot corners and set a corner to start skippy-xd ... and you can have a tiled view of all open windows simply by mousing into a corner

From there you can either click to focus, middle or right mouse click to minimise or close the window(s).

All with no KDE, Gnome, LXDE, Xfce ... etc, installed (nice and lightweight ... quick too). That said some elements are worthy of being installed ... pcmanfm file browser, lxinput (keyboard/mouse settings), lxapperance (theme etc.) are good additions IMO.

I've set the key bindings so that left click on the desktop launches the openbox menu and right click starts up the desktop-switch/open-programs menu ... as I'm not fond of the default clicking the middle (scrollwheel in my case) 'button'.

Lysander

#5151 Post by Lysander »

Choosing wallpaper is not an easy task! I have probably spent quite a few hours on it overall today. Maybe part of the problem is too much choice?

Anyway, this is what I have settled on for now. A while back I remember having abstract wallpapers, and this hit me this evening.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5152 Post by None1975 »

[quote="Lysander" A while back I remember having abstract wallpapers, and this hit me this evening.[/quote]
Nice wallpaper!
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5153 Post by None1975 »

My i3wm and Debian 8.8 :)

Nili

#5154 Post by Nili »

None1975 wrote:My i3wm and Debian 8.8 :)
Pretty good console actions, i3 is fantastic wm,
I think your setup needs some better colors from any of these #source1, source#2, sources#3
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5155 Post by None1975 »

Nili wrote:I think your setup needs some better colors from any of these #source1, source#2, sources#3
Thanks for share it. I will look at this.

Lysander

#5156 Post by Lysander »

Latest addition:

I am changing my wallpaper a lot at the moment. Normally it is once every few weeks/months, at the moment it is once every few days.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5157 Post by Hallvor »

Debian Stretch with KDE.

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5158 Post by None1975 »

Debian 9 and i3wm (branch "gaps-next")

chdslv

#5159 Post by chdslv »

Clean Crunchy with Debian 9 Stretch and auto-updating menu. Tint2 is there, but auto-hidden.

And with Skippy-XD

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5160 Post by None1975 »

i3wm google material design-work in progress...

ruffwoof

#5161 Post by ruffwoof »

Picture speaks for itself. Somewhat less obvious however is the menu button ... which is for JWM

Plan is to stay with oldstable (currently Jessie, until Stretch enters oldstable perhaps in a couple of years time). Everything just works (if it ain't broke...).

bester69

#5162 Post by bester69 »

- Stretch
- KDE 5.9
- Infinality Segoe UI (Win10 Fonts)

Press links to see in full size capt.

Layout kind of Unity; KDE Global Menú Bar (since KDE 5.9. similar to unity bar menu):
https://s2.postimg.org/hc7aud0rt/Escritorio_1_053.jpg

Kmail and KDE's Unity type bar
https://s24.postimg.org/6ts3th0lh/Escritorio_1_057.jpg

https://s11.postimg.org/kb5rcooz7/Escritorio_1_052.jpg

https://s14.postimg.org/o3e87m2cx/Escritorio_1_050.jpg
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

SavoyRoad

#5163 Post by SavoyRoad »

- Stretch
- bspwm

desktop

ncmpcpp + ranger + neofetch

qutebrowser

ruffwoof

#5164 Post by ruffwoof »

Fancy a animated wallpaper?

I use jwm for windows (and panel/tray) management and pcmanfm --desktop for desktop icons. Turn off pcmanfm --desktop ... and you're left with no icons, just the tray. You can then use that desktop space to play animated gifs .. or whatever. I've set up a looping mplayer playlist

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/user/Desktop/Docs/scripts
echo lady-gaga-poker-face.mp4 >playlist
echo lady-gaga-judas1.mp4 >>playlist
echo lady-gaga-bad-romance.mp4 >>playlist
echo gossip-heavy-cross.webm >>playlist
mplayer -vf scale -zoom -xy 1280 -loop 0 -rootwin -playlist playlist
(loop 0 is loop forever, using the root window as the output and I've scaled to my 1280x720 (720p) TV monitor that I use).

Turn the desktop back on again (in my case pcmanfm --desktop) ... and all of your icons reappear again. Toggle as desired.

For the animated wallpaper you could use online content (this is a low quality example)

Code: Select all

mplayer -vf scale -zoom -xy 1280 -loop 0 -rootwin mms://media4.abc.net.au/broadbandkids/20070521_1500/story1hi.wmv
Pulseaudio along with pavucontrol is nice, as pavucontrol shows all outputs on a single tab and you can dial up/down the volume of individual sources as desired (perhaps turn down the 'wallpaper' volume to turn up the radio or a youtube ... etc.).

deborah-and-ian

#5165 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Debian 9 Stretch
Openbox
gnome-terminal
ranger file manager

Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins