What does your desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby debiman » 2017-04-24 05:28

sjukfan wrote:Openbox, tint2... yeah... that's it. Usually filled with tons and tons of windows. The grey area is outside monitor area, the right screen is flipped so it's 1024x1280, great for emails or reading pdfs or whatsnot.

http://i.imgur.com/KUix4wa.jpg

heh, really nice background images.
unfortunately i'm not so good with pop icons; care to explain a little?
debiman

Postby sjukfan » 2017-04-24 18:42

debiman wrote:heh, really nice background images.
unfortunately i'm not so good with pop icons; care to explain a little?

On the left we have Zee Captain from the web comic Romantically Apocalyptic. It's... a bit weird. But hey, so am I 8) It's important to read all the way down to the comments on every page or you'll miss a lot. Later on the comments of other readers can be pretty useful because there might be things you've missed.
On the right, just Lord Vader having a cuppa. Got to do something to calm his nerves some times :D
Buster amd64, Core 2 Quad Q9550
Stretch amd64, Core 2 Quad Q9400
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX
sjukfan

Postby debiman » 2017-04-25 05:59

^ thanks!
i thought maybe there was some sort of meme about d. vader drinking tea...
debiman

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-25 19:18

GarryRicketson wrote:Debian stretch, with Xorg and OpenBox, on VirtualBox VM,..
Host system, Debian 7 wheezy,
Very minimal, no DE, no Libre Office, etc,...

Debian Jessie standard liveCD (console only), added xorg and openbox and it was quite nice. Added tint and tweaked around a bit and it was nicer. Started adding more (Libre, Skype, Kodi, Openbox ...etc) and overall very quick operationally, especially when booted as a single filesystem.squashfs (frugally)
Less than 15 second bootup on my old hardware ... very nice!
ruffwoof

Postby Lysander » 2017-04-25 20:41

ruffwoof wrote:Debian Jessie standard liveCD (console only), added xorg and openbox and it was quite nice. Added tint and tweaked around a bit and it was nicer. Started adding more (Libre, Skype, Kodi, Openbox ...etc) and overall very quick operationally, especially when booted as a single filesystem.squashfs (frugally)
Less than 15 second bootup on my old hardware ... very nice!

You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!

And for the thread, my most recent desktop.

Lysander

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-25 21:50

Lysander wrote:You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!

Love your wallpaper of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park (California) (searched using Tiny Eye reverse image search) :)

systemd-analyze plot >s.svg and then viewing the (large) svg file shows that wicd (network) is the bottleneck for me. Without that would be a second or two faster. My setup gets to the login prompt and networking messages are still showing as I've entered the userid and password, so perhaps the timing might be several seconds less if I swapped wicd out ... but I like it personally.

I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:
ruffwoof

Postby None1975 » 2017-04-26 13:14

Minimal Debian 8.7 install. I added xorg and i3wm. 14 sec. to login screen.
Also i use i3lock as my screenlocker. Here screenshot with windows 2000 desktop :D :D :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian
None1975

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-04-26 15:30

I am reminded now why I do not use windows, nothing works , and where is the terminal, ?
I think I will just stay with Debian, or Open Bsd
Debian 7, OpenBox WM
"What we expect you have already Done"

Before doing anything, read the Debian documentation:
Debian Documentation
How to ask the smart way
Debian Foro Español
======================
For the Birds
GarryRicketson

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-26 19:19

None1975 wrote:Minimal Debian 8.7 install. I added xorg and i3wm. 14 sec. to login screen.

14.9 sec. Debian Jessie standard, xorg, openbox, stalonetray (openbox tray dock that I have set to be in the top left corner and auto-hides, but mouse into that corner and you get to see/use the Skype, wicd ...etc tray icons), brightside (so corners can be set as hot corners) that has the bottom left set to activate (non Debian) skippy-xd ... so mouse into the bottom left and it presents a tiled set of current active/minimised windows for you to select which one to activate/switch-to.

Short Video

I've used openbox config to set the left side margin to 2 pixels wide so that when a window otherwise takes up the whole screen you can mouse over to there and right click to activate the menu
ruffwoof

Postby Job » 2017-04-26 22:26

spectrwm on stretch.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stretch - Devuan - Jessie (Media Center, yes, believe it)
Job

Postby Lysander » 2017-04-27 21:34

ruffwoof wrote:
Lysander wrote:You just made me time mine! From POST, 19 seconds to login screen on 8.7. Not bad!

Love your wallpaper of Half Dome, Yosemite National Park (California) (searched using Tiny Eye reverse image search) :)

systemd-analyze plot >s.svg and then viewing the (large) svg file shows that wicd (network) is the bottleneck for me. Without that would be a second or two faster. My setup gets to the login prompt and networking messages are still showing as I've entered the userid and password, so perhaps the timing might be several seconds less if I swapped wicd out ... but I like it personally.

Thanks for the confirmation of location! I had no idea where it was but suspected it was somewhere in the US. What a beautiful location.

Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

EDIT: Just timed it, 7 seconds.
Lysander

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-04-27 22:01

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:I have seen others with newer kit down at 5 seconds :mrgreen:
Are we counting from switching on the computer or from when GRUB loads the OS? If it's the latter I'm sure for me it's about 7-8 seconds or so till the login screen.

systemd-analyze time I guess. If you count from when turning the PC on ... well mine takes ages to run through BIOS and then waits a while for me to maybe press DEL or a Fn key ... before finally getting to the grub menu :( That alone is around a 30 second wait on mine. Then more usually another 30 seconds to get to the Debian login prompt.
ruffwoof

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-04-28 01:17

That is all very nice, but let's keep in mind the topic is :

What does your desktop look like?
Not "How fast can your computer boot"
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
7.Stay on topic. Sometimes threads morph into something completely off topic, this is unavoidable when a bunch of people communicate. However, try to limit the off topic discussions to the off topic category. Long off topic discussions in other categories might get moved or locked.
Discussions in "Off topic" should still be in the spirit of this board, that is related to Linux/ Computers/ Software etc. Political, religious or racial discussions do not belong on this board.
Avoid 'thread hijacking'. Unless your question is directly related to the thread's topic, start a new one.

GarryRicketson

Postby stevepusser » 2017-04-28 02:36

Lysander wrote:
ruffwoof wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation of location! I had no idea where it was but suspected it was somewhere in the US. What a beautiful location.

The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.1.0, Pale Moon 27.5.0, Liquorix kernel 4.12-10, mpv 0.27.0, Kodi 17.3, 0ad 0.0.22, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby Lysander » 2017-05-01 19:46

stevepusser wrote:
The shot of Half Dome may have come from this webcam: http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcam ... te-valley/ or have been taken from the same location. It generates a lot of beautiful wallpaper candidates.

Indeed, thanks for the link. Very interesting to see the same location in different state during the day.

And here's a photo in situ

Lysander

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic