Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Huntress

#61 Post by Huntress »

please make another one similar to it, it's marvellous!!!

utrrrongeeb

#62 Post by utrrrongeeb »

Where do these wallpaper images come from? (especially Burnside, craigevil, Lavene, and hcgtv)
utrrrongeeb formerly lecaro
Art #429775 on 'Etch' 4.0r0

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#63 Post by Lavene »

I don't remember for sure where I got those particular images. I tend to grab images when I stumble upon some good ones, but this site has a great fantazy section: http://www.free-wallpapers.tv/

Tina

Burnside

#64 Post by Burnside »

I find most of my images at http://www.deviantart.com.

garrincha

#65 Post by garrincha »

I usually change the desktop background roughly once month or two. I usually log into fluxbox, rarely ever gnome. So here's my current screenshot, this month I decided on the 2001: A Space Odyssey theme :

Incidentally for those of you not aware of the above image, it's from the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick. The image showed Discovery astronaut Bowman unplugging the circuitry from the heart of HAL 9000 computer, one of the most villainous characters in film history.

HAL 9000: "Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over."

Last week (now using the astronaut Bowman background in my gdm login screen) :
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Dargor

#66 Post by Dargor »

cool garrincha, whats that stats program youve got down the right, is it procmeter, if so how do you guys get it so pretty

shoof

#67 Post by shoof »

garrincha

#68 Post by garrincha »

Dargor wrote:cool garrincha, whats that stats program youve got down the right, is it procmeter, if so how do you guys get it so pretty
Yeah, it is a GKrellM process stack. Handily for mounting drives and also to keep an eyes on the CPU & disk usage. I cannot remember where I download the themes from, it may have came from the site in the link below. The GKrellM theme in my screenshot above is called 'Aero'. I also have a plugin called GKrellShoot, it is a small animation window, and you have two buttons - one for taking a screenshot (using imagemagick) and the other is to lock the screen.

LINK: GKrellM
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

_FOCUS_

#69 Post by _FOCUS_ »

hcgtv wrote:thamarok, the bottom dock-bar is called the Shelf and is a feature of Enlightenment.

You can have many Shelfs and place them at different positions along the top, bottom, left and right sides of your desktop. One thing I like is that you can make your desktop look like OS X, if you so desire.
mmmm

I couldn't install them. deb wont open them
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

ManDuck

#70 Post by ManDuck »

hcgtv wrote:Debian Etch, Enlightenment DR17 (0.16.999.036), GKrellM, Firefox

Where can I get above wallpaper?

hcgtv

#71 Post by hcgtv »

ManDuck wrote:Where can I get above wallpaper?
http://www.dusso.com/pages/EP3/sac.html
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

haggus

#72 Post by haggus »

I'm still pretty new to linux and the different desktop enviroment right now I'm using debian etch with kde 3.5 but I'm sure as I go along I will try others.[/img]

Burnside

#73 Post by Burnside »

Because I haven't wasted enough bandwidth on my screenshots...

Etch, XFCE4, OSX icons, GT4_White-Original XFWM theme.

edit: removed due to host spamming board.
Last edited by Burnside on 2010-04-04 19:22, edited 1 time in total.

ManDuck

#74 Post by ManDuck »

hcgtv wrote:
Thanks man.

garrincha

#75 Post by garrincha »

hcgtv wrote:
LOL!

I somehow thought that your wallpaper looks familiar that I couldn't put my finger on. Now I know after looking at the bottom of the image in the link you posted - Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.

There are a couple of free wallpapers at these two excellent sites:
http://digitalblasphemy.com/dbhome.shtml
http://www.mikebonnell.com/wallpaper.html

If you google for Insomnia Gallery, you'll find a beautiful site containing B&W fine art erotica photography, there are a few you could grab as a wallpaper.

hcgtv

#76 Post by hcgtv »

garrincha wrote:I somehow thought that your wallpaper looks familiar that I couldn't put my finger on. Now I know after looking at the bottom of the image in the link you posted - Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
I came across it from a Digg post. I really liked the detail in it, so it became the default wallpaper on both my machines.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

meon

#77 Post by meon »

My new laptop still has a clean look. I installed Debian Sid on it and this is of course the Gnome desktop.

ghostdawg

#78 Post by ghostdawg »

meon wrote:My new laptop still has a clean look. I installed Debian Sid on it and this is of course the Gnome desktop.
Yea I like gnome also. My screenshot here was from my 32bit debian with Fluxbox but since I have debian64 installed and some extra space, I have it setup with Gnome also. Nice and clean even with a default install.

marcoo99

My Debian - GNOME desktop...

#79 Post by marcoo99 »

New install of debian etch. I have chose to make GNOME look more like KDE for the moment. I use GNOME with water vapor theme and nuovext-1.6 icons.

ethyrdude

#80 Post by ethyrdude »

Might as well post mine, it's a pretty simple fluxbox setup. Didn't like any of the styles, I find that most really tend to challenge my eyesight so I modified the artwiz theme and created artwizE.

( I must admit, I prefer html to BBCode)
Last edited by ethyrdude on 2006-12-18 05:04, edited 1 time in total.