What does your desktop look like?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby archimboldo » 2018-05-13 19:37

]Image
archimboldo
 
Posts: 11
Joined: 2017-10-06 16:45

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Bloom » 2018-05-14 07:10

Image
This is a Debian Testing XFCE desktop which I adapted on someone's demand to look as much as possible like a Ubuntu 17.04 with Unity desktop. The one who asked me was used to Unity, but he wanted a rolling release and wasn't too thrilled about the notion that Canonical is planning to drop Unity in favor of Gnome3.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 140
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby pawRoot » 2018-05-14 13:40

^ but Debian testing isn't rolling, or is it ?
User avatar
pawRoot
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 2016-12-28 18:26
Location: Poland

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby dcihon » 2018-05-14 13:58

Sorry comment off topic.

Taken from another site:
Really if a good rolling release is your goal you probably are better off with another distro. The biggest reason to use testing should be because you actually want to help test it for the next Debian release.

dcihon
 
Posts: 233
Joined: 2012-09-23 16:18

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Bloom » 2018-05-16 21:04

pawRoot wrote:^ but Debian testing isn't rolling, or is it ?

Yes, it is. There's a freeze when the new Stable is being prepared, but after that it migrates seamlessly to the new Testing.
You only need to make sure that the name 'Buster' in sources.list is replaced by "testing" everywhere.

Although you could the same for Stable (replacing 'stretch' by 'stable' in sources.list), I wouldn't recommend that because the upgrade to a new stable would have to jump about two years ahead and that won't be seamlessly, to say the least.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 140
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Bloom » 2018-05-16 21:08

dcihon wrote:Sorry comment off topic.
Taken from another site:
Really if a good rolling release is your goal you probably are better off with another distro. The biggest reason to use testing should be because you actually want to help test it for the next Debian release.

You do know that Ubuntu is based on Debian Testing, don't you?

Testing is fine for desktop systems. Stable can be as well, but if you'd like more recent versions of software you could try Testing. I wouldn't use Sid (Unstable) unless you know your way around a root terminal.
I have used Debian Testing for several of my desktop systems for quite a few years now and haven't encountered any problems. The last year, I even started using Sid for my desktop.

If you need to install a server, stick to Debian Stable.
User avatar
Bloom
 
Posts: 140
Joined: 2017-11-11 12:23

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-05-17 07:05

Image

Do you grml?
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Lysander » 2018-05-17 07:51

Bloom wrote:
pawRoot wrote:^ but Debian testing isn't rolling, or is it ?

Yes, it is. There's a freeze when the new Stable is being prepared, but after that it migrates seamlessly to the new Testing.
You only need to make sure that the name 'Buster' in sources.list is replaced by "testing" everywhere.


It's probably more accurate to think of Testing as a rolling development version, rather than a rolling release as such. Arch, Gentoo etc are rolling releases since those releases receive small, frequent updates and are fully independent. This is different to Debian Testing, which exists to find fixes for another release, notably Stable. So yes, Testing is indeed rolling, but the difference lies in its cause.
User avatar
Lysander
 
Posts: 568
Joined: 2017-02-23 10:07
Location: London

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-05-17 09:11

After much deliberation I went for the LXQt desktop option:

Image

^ That's the vanilla configuration, tweakage will happen.

EDIT: some configuration later:

Image

It's pretty but the Gtk integration sucks :?
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby HuangLao » 2018-05-17 19:31

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:After much deliberation I went for the LXQt desktop option:

Image

^ That's the vanilla configuration, tweakage will happen.

EDIT: some configuration later:

Image

It's pretty but the Gtk integration sucks :?


I always liked LXDE so I have a soft spot for LXQt, however, I never had much luck printing from qt based pdf viewers, whether Okular or qpdfview...always had to install Atril, Evince etc... which seemed silly, even had this problem on KDE (regardless of distro). Have you noticed this before? Not meant as a thread hijack....
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 483
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby HuangLao » 2018-05-17 19:40

I'm playing around with Gnome-Shell on Stretch (feel kinda dirty...lol)
https://scrot.moe/image/9zhib
Image
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 483
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby HuangLao » 2018-05-17 19:42

Lysander wrote:
Bloom wrote:
pawRoot wrote:^ but Debian testing isn't rolling, or is it ?

Yes, it is. There's a freeze when the new Stable is being prepared, but after that it migrates seamlessly to the new Testing.
You only need to make sure that the name 'Buster' in sources.list is replaced by "testing" everywhere.


It's probably more accurate to think of Testing as a rolling development version, rather than a rolling release as such. Arch, Gentoo etc are rolling releases since those releases receive small, frequent updates and are fully independent. This is different to Debian Testing, which exists to find fixes for another release, notably Stable. So yes, Testing is indeed rolling, but the difference lies in its cause.



very true, its closer to Slackware-current then Arch or a "true" rolling release.
User avatar
HuangLao
 
Posts: 483
Joined: 2015-01-27 01:31

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-05-17 19:57

HuangLao wrote:I never had much luck printing from qt based pdf viewers, whether Okular or qpdfview...always had to install Atril, Evince etc... which seemed silly, even had this problem on KDE (regardless of distro). Have you noticed this before?

I've never tried printing from a PDF viewer, sorry (I didn't even know that could be done) — the only PDFs I deal with are generated by texlive, qtpdfview seems to render such documents very well indeed:

Image
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby None1975 » 2018-05-18 16:47

Working on my Xmonad project...
Image
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 902
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania, Vilnius

Re: What does your desktop look like?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-05-18 18:53

^ Very nice! But is that really terminator? :o

I find fantasque sans mono personally offensive but I will try not to hold that against you :mrgreen:

My desktop:

Image

Debian sid & LXQt/bspwm.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10346
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

PreviousNext

Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

fashionable