Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do you use debian?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

For what use do you use debian?

server
15%
desktop
85%

Total votes: 96

kenny

How do you use debian?

#1 Post by kenny »

I was curious :) I recently tried debian after trying a lot of others and found it very customizable

thamarok

Re: How do you use debian?

#2 Post by thamarok »

kenny wrote:I was curious :) I recently tried debian after trying a lot of others and found it very customizable
Actually I use Debian for a desktop, server and a multimedia workstation. I have three different kernels (each optimized and configured for it's special use) on the same machine and when I boot up, I just take one of the kernels for doing specific stuff..

For example, I use the normal kernel for desktop usage, and my friend made me an optimized kernel for servers and I use a multimedia kernel from DeMuDi.

But I voted for desktop as that is the one I use most of the time.

brain

#3 Post by brain »

Both, but I checked desktop

ghostdawg

#4 Post by ghostdawg »

As a desktop...a great one at that!

divine-nature

#5 Post by divine-nature »

as a desktop just to try out the fluxbox thingy and only got one pc so no can do the server part which is a shame.

sleepyEDB

#6 Post by sleepyEDB »

Can you make a choice for 'both'? I'm pretty sure you'd get a good number of votes with that one. :)

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

One desktop, one laptop and one server :)

Kurt`

#8 Post by Kurt` »

Ahh, I'm the only one to click server so far. :(

ajdlinux

#9 Post by ajdlinux »

For an OS which is so often used for servers, it's interesting to see this poll.....

I suppose we have an imbalanced group here though.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

thamarok

#10 Post by thamarok »

Kurt` wrote:Ahh, I'm the only one to click server so far. :(
Don't worry, there are lots of people using Debian for servers, but usually they manage the server in a Desktop Environment, so then both Server and Desktop would hit the point.

amc

#11 Post by amc »

both here, too
i use it as a desktop system, but i got and an apache for fast file transfer :D
ouim.org
eilo.org
trance.nu

using debian lenny

StarMonkey

#12 Post by StarMonkey »

servers here, the only linux desktop i have is kubuntu (it was etch until the hard drive died on friday, and i thought it'd be quicker just to boot a kubuntu cd to get it up and running again)

_FOCUS_

#13 Post by _FOCUS_ »

As Desktop. I love deb. Realy Os. Time to time linux made me windows hater
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.

b4k4

something wrong

#14 Post by b4k4 »

This poll can't be right. Of course we all use Debian for servers. That's its strength. On the desktop we use Ubuntu don't we?
b4k4
Hiroshima

thamarok

#15 Post by thamarok »

This can be true. While there are a lot of Debian servers running, many people still use Debian as a desktop. In the times of Sarge, there were more Debian servers, and many people went over to Ubuntu to have a Debian-based desktop.

But now, even if there is Ubuntu, many many people use Debian (mostly Etch) as a desktop.

I might be wrong here, but that's what I was thinking about this...

DeanLinkous

Re: something wrong

#16 Post by DeanLinkous »

b4k4 wrote: On the desktop we use Ubuntu don't we?
Of course we do! Does debian even have a desktop? :D

shoof

#17 Post by shoof »

should have an option for everything?

I use it on laptop, home desktop, work desktop. All but 2 servers at work are running Debian now.

al3xanr0

Re: How do you use debian?

#18 Post by al3xanr0 »

kenny wrote:I was curious :) I recently tried debian after trying a lot of others and found it very customizable
I've been using it since Sarge. I too have used others (no surprise there) I find that they are all customisable to some degree; however, software availability and manageability coupled with environment usability and stability make Debian the premier choice as far as I am concerned. I could certainly bash other distros but it is rather pointless. I use what experience tells me is suitable.

Regards,
| Al3xanRO | Registered User #413462 |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. -Acts 2:21

hcgtv

#19 Post by hcgtv »

I use it for both a server and workstation.

Sarge has worked flawlessly on my web server, Etch is running great on my local file server that doubles as a workstation.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

SNN

#20 Post by SNN »

I would mainly use Debian as a server. Linux ownz at hosting, windows stinks, trust me I've tried :p
Massive Web Hosting - Talk N' - G.A. -