Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Very slow booting time [SOLVED!!] =D

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thamarok

Very slow booting time [SOLVED!!] =D

#1 Post by thamarok »

Hello!

I don't know why, but my computer seems to boot very slowly these times.. The booting takes 2 minutes and after that it loads the OS!

EDIT: I made very much tests and finally I was able to have the booting time squeezed down to 10 seconds. The problem lied here: I had my Wacom Volito2 connected through USB the whole time, and after I unplugged it and made a reboot, the BIOS loading time was significantly faster. I don't know why it was about my Volito2, but I assume the BIOS understanded it as another mouse and after a time-out it forced the Volito2 to be a Generic USB Device.
Last edited by thamarok on 2006-11-01 14:43, edited 5 times in total.

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

can you see what it's doing, or is there a big splashimage covering up what it's doing?

do you maybe have unterminated scsi devices?

one way of speeding up booting is to set the boot order, unless you specifically need to boot from a cd (for installation for example) you can set it to be the hd and it'll skip spinning up cdrom/floppy/whatever in the beginning, and you can remove annoying self-tests and memory counters
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#3 Post by thamarok »

No need to worry anymore!
I got everything working. Anyways, thanks Grifter!

Grifter

#4 Post by Grifter »

Well? Share the knowledge, how did you fix it, and what was wrong?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#5 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:Well? Share the knowledge, how did you fix it, and what was wrong?
Look at my main post after EDIT: :P