Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A word of "I HATE YOU"

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
SibirskiiVolk

A word of "I HATE YOU"

#1 Post by SibirskiiVolk »

The title is clear ...
Dear kiddies,
Please be careful with wheezy/testing updates
there are people using your system, you know.
Appreciate your constant non-sense
sincerely yours,
Some with a broken Debian system.
The most efficient code is 0 bit in size.

saulgoode

Re: A word of "I HATE YOU"

#2 Post by saulgoode »

SibirskiiVolk wrote:The title is clear ...
Actually, it is not.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian Kernighan

Randicus

#3 Post by Randicus »

If you do not want constant nonsense and do want a stable system, have you thought about using Debian Stable? (Instead of using Testing and complaining, because it is not stable enough?)

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Strange that he "hates" Debian users because he has issues with Debian.

SibirskiiVolk

#5 Post by SibirskiiVolk »

Randicus wrote:If you do not want constant nonsense and do want a stable system, have you thought about using Debian Stable? (Instead of using Testing and complaining, because it is not stable enough?)
Did you know that I've already fixed most of the "unstable" parts of the spaghetti code only in 6 months, it was stable, until a new update was released and now the system is a mess ("thank God for the blessing of REMASTERSYS"), wasn't it just easier for those kiddies (A.K.A developers) to stop messing around with those repositories until they get their code fixed.

Actually I don't have a problem, I have a backup, but my concern is about those poor bastards who would rush to updates without knowing the consequences of trusting a kid with a laptop.

Now for using Squeeze, it SUCKS, no modern hardware support, most apps in the repo died several years ago "I can smell dead packages" and finally, it has a major drawback of not being able to use a normal web browsing experience due to the lack of the latest versions of common browsers.
It's useless to use a backport repository each time you need to get your system up and running with your hardware, also it's useless to have an up and running system with your hardware that KEEPS CRASHING EACH TIME YOU UPGRADE THE PACKAGES IN THE REPO.

gee, I really miss the good old days where you would upgrade your system and it would still work.

dasein wrote:Strange that he "hates" Debian users because he has issues with Debian.
I hate Debian (Packagers/Maintainers/Developers) not users.

Randicus

#6 Post by Randicus »

Did you know that I've already fixed most of the "unstable" parts of the spaghetti code only in 6 months, it was stable, until a new update was released and now the system is a mess ...

my concern is about those poor bastards who would rush to updates without knowing the consequences of trusting a kid with a laptop.
You chose to use a testing release knowing it is has the potential for occasional bugs. I would hope those other poor bastards will read the descriptions of Stable, Testing and Unstable before choosing which version to use. (Probably a vain hope.)
Now for using Squeeze ...
:roll:
There is always Ubuntu and Mint, which have more recent packages. (And bugs for you to enjoy.) Or if you feel adventurous and want to go bleeding edge, try Arch.
Stable is for people who value stability over cutting edge. If that is too boring for you, use something else, whether it be Testing or another OS. Just remember that whatever you use will be less stable. Since you want to have your cake and eat it to, whatever you decide to do, I am sure the bitching will continue.

SibirskiiVolk

#7 Post by SibirskiiVolk »

Randicus wrote:
Did you know that I've already fixed most of the "unstable" parts of the spaghetti code only in 6 months, it was stable, until a new update was released and now the system is a mess ...

my concern is about those poor bastards who would rush to updates without knowing the consequences of trusting a kid with a laptop.
You chose to use a testing release knowing it is has the potential for occasional bugs. I would hope those other poor bastards will read the descriptions of Stable, Testing and Unstable before choosing which version to use. (Probably a vain hope.)
Now for using Squeeze ...
:roll:
There is always Ubuntu and Mint, which have more recent packages. (And bugs for you to enjoy.) Or if you feel adventurous and want to go bleeding edge, try Arch.
Stable is for people who value stability over cutting edge. If that is too boring for you, use something else, whether it be Testing or another OS. Just remember that whatever you use will be less stable. Since you want to have your cake and eat it to, whatever you decide to do, I am sure the bitching will continue.
Unstable doesn't mean CRASHY, There's a major difference, Unstable means it has lots of bugs and that's okay for me as long as I CAN LOG INTO A CONSOLE AND START FIXING THEM which doesn't happen when you have a nasty broken libc6 or maybe ld which were okay until some genius decided to replace them with newer not working packages.
I've been a Debian user for over 10 years, I know the difference between sid, testing and stable, I've always been a testing user, and I've never seen this level of low quality, what is it with the Debian developers these days? were they replaced by evil green goblins that are feeding on users' misery?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Bollocks.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Randicus

#9 Post by Randicus »

Why am I having a deja vu? Has this sequence of events not unfolded a couple times recently?

"What is wrong with Testing? It sucks! I have been using Testing for 8/10/12 years and am having continuous problems that did not happen in years gone by."
"Since no one else is having those problems, could it be because of something you did?"
"No. The current state of Testing sucks."
"Could you provide details of a problem, instead of just ranting?
"Idiots! I am leaving this forum and changing distributions!"

It is interesting how many members of this forum have been using Wheezy for only two or three months without issues, yet someone with more than ten years experience is having problems serious enough to launch a tirade.

jheaton5

#10 Post by jheaton5 »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Bollocks.
My sentiments too.
debian sid

golinux

#11 Post by golinux »

Ditto. My fully updated wheezy is running just fine.
May the FORK be with you!

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

Smells like Tuxracer to me.

Don't feed the troll

craigevil

#13 Post by craigevil »

Two repos:
Backports
mozilla.debian.net

Gives you newer packages and the same version of Iceweasel that testing and sid have.

So the premiss for the entire thread is crap.

You do NOT run testing or sid if you want a stable system especially on a production server. That said I have ran nothing but sid since 2004, my ancient desktop still has the same install and this older than dirt Thinkpad has been running sid since 2010 with no issues.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cynwulf

#14 Post by cynwulf »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Bollocks.
+1
SibirskiiVolk wrote:I've been a Debian user for over 10 years

llivv

I hate you too

#15 Post by llivv »

cynwulf wrote: Image
I can't hear the fiddlin,

is this what is playin?
http://youtu.be/h0mIqb7ChRk
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

heminder

#16 Post by heminder »

I've been running Wheezy on recent hardware since the betas. I've disabled automatic updates and perform a manual upgrade whenever a new disc image is released (new beta version, release candidate, etc). No breakage so far.

buntunub

#17 Post by buntunub »

dasein wrote:Strange that he "hates" Debian users because he has issues with Debian.
Yes well, because its us users (like the OP) that break sh*t.

SibirskiiVolk

#18 Post by SibirskiiVolk »

well, since u've asked, here's a list of things that SHOULDN'T happen even in a testing system:
1- Someone forgot to edit the connman configurations so it doesn't block bluetooth devices, I started a thread and no one answered me, later I discovered that config file of connman, I purged it as I used NetworkManager and everything turned to be because of a misconfigured connman.
2- ATI Drivers and xserver gave me headache for almost 3 months, actually a fresh Wheezy DVD didn't start after installation, so I had to install Squeeze then I had to upgrade to Wheezy which is a painful process, then try to install the proprietary drivers which is something that I hated, and it failed each time, I tried the free driver and it had issues with packages missing not included in dependencies.
3- Oooooh the automatic upgrades, Gosh I hate them, each time a kid submits a package upgrade in the core packages, I have to install them on a separate machine to make sure that the system wont crash.
4- The repo is full of dead animals, I revised the repo numerous times and each time I revised it, I found dead stuff more than I find in my Grand father's attic.
5- Quality is not assured, when u have to install something that has been there for 2 or 3 years, you find the same bug that was reported by thousands of users, and no one cared about

the list goes on and on, these things shouldn't happen in a testing release, it's acceptable to find them in sid, but in order to test something, I have to get it running first.

well, leaving Debian is not an option, I am already stuck with it, which it was easier, and where would I go if I left? it's Linux distributions global issue, most of developers now are kids with QuadShit machines and no brain nor knowledge, so I guess this is why I started this thread, to beg those kids to start leaning something about QA.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#19 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Still bollocks.
(and I think you just id'd yourself...) :)
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

AnInkedSoul

#20 Post by AnInkedSoul »

SibirskiiVolk wrote: the list goes on and on, these things shouldn't happen in a testing release, it's acceptable to find them in sid, but in order to test something, I have to get it running first.
someone in debian must not of got your memo, send it again oh great and powerful know it all who decides what is and is not acceptable