Having issus with installing apps

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Having issus with installing apps

Postby LinuxDude » 2016-12-30 08:38

Hi, I am having issues with installing programs on my desktop Debians. The only OS, I will use at the moment pn this desktop. So While trying to install owncloud, Keepass, and other apps.

I have gotten errors like

1) This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
2) Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages (Own cloud)
3) apt-get install error: Media change: please insert the disc labeled
4) has no installation candidate
Note: I have tried to fix these issues myself nothing has worked. I have Google every error and nothing on any site will fix the issue please help!
LinuxDude
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-12-30 08:26

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby marcetm » 2016-12-30 09:10

You need to check your sources list. Here you¡ve got one that will work.

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Once you fix your souces.list you need:

Code: Select all
apt-get update


and then

Code: Select all
apt-get install "pakacge"


should work
marcetm
 
Posts: 135
Joined: 2015-08-02 21:30

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby dasein » 2016-12-30 13:20

LinuxDude wrote:...nothing on any site will fix the issue...

As noted, we need to see your sources.list to be sure, but that's most likely because the problem isn't fixable.

Further reading here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130
and here: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian

Image

Until the specific issue is resolved, you would be wise not to install any new packages.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby LinuxDude » 2016-12-31 05:24

dasein wrote:
LinuxDude wrote:...nothing on any site will fix the issue...

As noted, we need to see your sources.list to be sure, but that's most likely because the problem isn't fixable.

Further reading here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130
and here: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian ... nkenDebian

Image

Until the specific issue is resolved, you would be wise not to install any new packages.


hi! thanks for that post. I action ally made a stupid mistake and deleted the all of my repositorys. :( How do I re-add them through terminal or package manger please! ;-(
LinuxDude
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-12-30 08:26

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby No_windows » 2016-12-31 05:57

LinuxDude wrote:hi! thanks for that post. I action ally made a stupid mistake and deleted the all of my repositorys. :( How do I re-add them through terminal or package manger please! ;-(


Sources.list is just a text file, but you'll need to do it with root permissions (is that the correct term guys?).

I would use your file manager to navigate to etc/apt/ <-----you'll need to click on "file system"
Then right click, and you'll probably have a choice to "open terminal here"..... do that
Then type "su", and then type in the root password. You can then create make a sources.list with your text editor. I'd use mousepad, but you can get into trouble launching a GUI program from the command line, but so far I've been ok with it. You could use the command line program called "nano", but you'll probably have to look up the commands to save and such.

You can find instructions on what to put in the sources.list in links given previously in this thread.
No_windows
 
Posts: 452
Joined: 2015-08-05 03:03

Having issus with installing apps

Postby LinuxDude » 2016-12-31 06:52

No_windows wrote:
LinuxDude wrote:hi! thanks for that post. I action ally made a stupid mistake and deleted the all of my repositorys. :( How do I re-add them through terminal or package manger please! ;-(


Sources.list is just a text file, but you'll need to do it with root permissions (is that the correct term guys?).

I would use your file manager to navigate to etc/apt/ <-----you'll need to click on "file system"
Then right click, and you'll probably have a choice to "open terminal here"..... do that
Then type "su", and then type in the root password. You can then create make a sources.list with your text editor. I'd use mousepad, but you can get into trouble launching a GUI program from the command line, but so far I've been ok with it. You could use the command line program called "nano", but you'll probably have to look up the commands to save and such.

You can find instructions on what to put in the sources.list in links given previously in this thread.

Thanks, I'll see if I can fix it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
LinuxDude
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-12-30 08:26

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-12-31 14:30

No_windows wrote:Sources.list is just a text file, but you'll need to do it with root permissions (is that the correct term guys?).

Yes, it is :)

I like to use this to edit sources.list, it will check the syntax before saving:
Code: Select all
# apt edit-sources

Sample sources.list here:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Exa ... urces.list
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 10321
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby dasein » 2016-12-31 14:45

LinuxDude wrote:I ... deleted the all of my repositorys. :(

Uh-huh. Cosmic coincidence, I'm sure.

PS. Please learn to stop "full quoting." It makes the thread slow to load and hard to read.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby GarryRicketson » 2016-12-31 15:08

by dasein »PS. Please learn to stop "full quoting." It makes the thread slow to load and hard to read.

+ 100
In fact this thread has inspired me to start a "new topic" , here:
Please learn to stop "full quoting."
It is not just this OP, and thread, there is far to many people doing this, to the extent that I see it as a major problem on the forum,...any way, that is another
topic. Apology for the interrupt here.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Having issus with installing apps

Postby LinuxDude » 2017-01-02 09:34

Sorry about that, I am just used to it.
LinuxDude
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 2016-12-30 08:26


Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

fashionable