Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Program for displaying interactive documents

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MatthewG

Program for displaying interactive documents

#1 Post by MatthewG »

Hi everyone, I'm new to all this and would appreciate some help. I would like to be able to display a set of documents which would move on to the next one when clicked. It's for displaying quality and working instructions. Does anyone know of such a program ? I've been googling like mad with no success!
Ideally I'd like it to be able to connect to a db and for the editable fields able to scan a barcode, read from the db and fill the box in with the relevant name. My biggest problem is I have no idea how to achieve this or even ask the right questions. Thanks for taking the time to look at my question.

GarryRicketson

Re: Program for displaying interactive documents

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

The question is not very clear to me..what kind of documents ?
If you mean PDF documents , maybe "Scribus"
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/scribus
--------------------------------
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Barcode ... evelopment
---------------------
From: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-doj ... h-scribus/
Scribus is an open source page layout application that can help you create interactive PDF documents for your users. With an easy to use interface, a great feature set, and a solid community, Scribus is an outstanding solution for anyone needing to create PDF documents of any size. By following the simple steps in this tutorial, you can add interactive elements to those PDFs.
Any browser can be used to "display" most any kind of documents, "editable fields", ???
Do you meant like forms ? These can be added to any document, it could be ,pdf, html, php,etc,...
Perl is a use full program and can be used to create "interactive" programs, dialogues, documents .
It really is not very clear what you want to do, maybe this will help give you some ideas.
http://opendocumentformat.org/developers/

alan stone

#3 Post by alan stone »

Did you search something like this to put you on track?

marcetm

#4 Post by marcetm »

Hi MatthewG,

I don't know what exactly is your goal but maybe you want and need a Document Management System. I saw what you're describing in some websites so I'm sure you could make it with Drupal or Wordpress but perhaps using these kind of systems it's like reinvent the wheel...

I'd check Alfresco or OpenMK in order to see if any of them fit your needs.

EDIT: How many documents would they be? If you're going to work with two documents my proposal has no sense

MatthewG

#5 Post by MatthewG »

Thanks to everyone that replied, I shall spend sometime investigating the suggestions and reply with my results. I really appreciate the time given by you all answering my rather vague question! I'm new to all this and learning.

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

not sure how far this goes into actual coding, but it sounds a little like a combination of powerpoint and excel to me.
libreoffice has applications that can do both.

pylkko

#7 Post by pylkko »

There are some Javascript libraries that can be used to create enhanced slide shows quite easily. And obviously can be connected to a database