Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

accessing gmail with gnome client

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mzimmers

accessing gmail with gnome client

#1 Post by mzimmers »

Hi -

I've tried multiple apps (evolution, claws-mail) and performed all the set up that google recommends on their help page. I've even turned on the "less secure apps" option. When I try to send, I still get an authentication error. I don't seem to be receiving either, but that doesn't give me errors in the network log.

Surely someone has gotten an email client working with gmail. Could you please tell me which app you're using, and what the magic step is that I'm missing?

Thank you.

mzimmers

Re: accessing gmail with gnome client

#3 Post by mzimmers »

OK, I admit I'm probably somewhat dense on this, but I didn't see anything in those threads that pertains to me. I've tried Thunderbird as well (didn't mention that one in my OP) with similar results. I've experimented with two-step verification and that doesn't yield different results. So, I'm afraid I just don't know what do to here.

One thing I did get from those threads is, it appears that Google is deliberately trying to make this difficult for third-party clients. If this is true, I may have to re-think my position on sticking with gmail for life, in favor of something else (not sure what yet).

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

I know for sure that evolution can do Gmail on stretch. However, it is also true that Google has been changing things much and that the developers of evolution have had to change evolution in order to follow. Did you use Gnome accounts or evolution itself to set this up?

mzimmers

#5 Post by mzimmers »

Hi pylkko -

As I recall, with evolution I used the Gnome accounts. With Claws I used the configuration dialogs. Can't remember with Thunderbird.

Honestly, if Google really is mucking with things just to screw with people, I think I will change email providers. Email isn't supposed to be difficult to use.

The only thing is: whom would I replace Google with?

Lysander

#6 Post by Lysander »

mzimmers wrote:
The only thing is: whom would I replace Google with?
Kolabnow or Protonmail. Both paid services but worth it.

mzimmers

#7 Post by mzimmers »

Hi Lysander - as soon as I read your reply, it occurred to me that I might be able to use my Bluehost account. It's not perfect, but it's adequate for my needs. And claws-mail does work with it just fine.

Still irks me about Google, though. Honestly, what do they have to gain by making this difficult for people?