Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stripped down Debian version

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
CarterCox

Stripped down Debian version

#1 Post by CarterCox »

Hello. I wanted to know if there is some system that comes just with the basic things, like a DE, apt, and all the things you need to install only the things you want, instead of getting tons of programs you will never use.

Thanks!

Wheelerof4te

Re: Stripped down Debian version

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

You can install what you want later by selecting only standard system utilities on software select screen.

CarterCox

#4 Post by CarterCox »

Wheelerof4te wrote:https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

You can install what you want later by selecting only standard system utilities on software select screen.
That sounds good! After that, is there a DE without a lot of sowftware? I read about LXDE-Core (on the link provided in this thread by arochester). Is there a better option out there?
Thank you! Is there another pkg I should need?

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

CarterCox wrote:After that, is there a DE without a lot of sowftware? I read about LXDE-Core (on the link provided in this thread by arochester). Is there a better option out there?
You will get only terminal after minimal netinstall, after which you can install lxde-core package. That will get you LXDE DE. You can also install xfce4 instead, another good non-bloat DE. When you install one of those packages, reboot to log in. You can do that while in terminal simply by issuing

Code: Select all

reboot
as root.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

Hello. Yous should start reading this.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github