Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Root Terminal

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
czeekaj

Root Terminal

#1 Post by czeekaj »

Just wanted to say great job leaving the resolv.conf file up to the user to configure. Ubuntu kept overwriting it and gave me a headache and DNS leaks to OpenVPN from my router. (which is transparent for all I know)

However I configed my resolv file and now I have no DNS leak really easy and simple. Rock Solid little 3 liner, reason I spent more time configuring Mint getting nothing done. Than all my time actually learning a bit of linux in debian.

However heres the lowdown, when I run openvpn If I close the terminal the VPN stops. Is there a way to run openvpn without root access, or to keep the vpn running after closing terminal? Can I whitelist openvpn without worring about it going down? That seems safer than leaving a root terminal open right? I am not terribly worried about physical access at home when I'm using the vpn. However leaving a root terminal open does not seem like a good defense. Any one have suggestions?
I am using PIA, if anyone knows of a way to run it without Terminal in stretch I'd be open to that as well.

kopper

Re: Root Terminal

#2 Post by kopper »

Why don't you run it as a service? With systemd:

Code: Select all

systemctl enable openvpn@server.service 
systemctl start openvpn@server.service
I don't know what PIA is.

EDIT: I read it again and I'm not sure whether you mean OpenVPN client or server. If it's a client you mean, then you could run it as service/daemon as well, with something like this.
Last edited by kopper on 2018-01-16 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

Thorny

#3 Post by Thorny »

czeekaj wrote:
I am using PIA, if anyone knows of a way to run it without Terminal in stretch I'd be open to that as well.
I don't have any experience with PIA, but it is a commercial service that you pay for and they have a client support section. If I was paying for a service, as a client, I think I would ask them.
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/p ... t-support/

bryanmc

#4 Post by bryanmc »