Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

WiFi interface not working

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Dragonsen

WiFi interface not working

#1 Post by Dragonsen »

Hello,

I recently switched my laptop from Windows 10 to Debian. This is a Acer Aspire V5 561G.
I chose to install Debian via Internet. At the beginning of the installation it gave me an error concerning the detection of a non-free firmware. I noted the beginning of the file required : firmwareb43/ucode30_mimo.fw
But since it seemed to be an issue with the WiFi, I simply decided to continue with a wire and the installation completed without other issue. :)

However, once I removed the wire I saw that the wireless interface was still not detected. I first looked on Acer's website for drivers but it gaves only drivers for Windows 8.1 and 10 :roll:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/s ... re+V5-561G
I'm pretty novice with Linux so I don't really know where I could find a solution... I hope you can help me with that, because being connected with a wire is pretty annoying...

I saw that there is only those lines in /etc/network/interfaces :

Code: Select all

#The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iwconfig gives me :

lo        no wireless extensions.

enp1s0f0       no wireless extensions.
According to this link, there is no issue with WiFi on this laptop model : https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 1G/Stretch :|

Thank you in advance for your help, don't hesitate to ask me other details of needed

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: WiFi interface not working

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

MX Linux packager and developer

Dragonsen

#4 Post by Dragonsen »

Thanks for your answers. I just found that I had a BCM43228 card and, as you said, I installed "firmware-b43-installer".

It was unable to locate the package, so I was helped by the following link in case it could help other linux beginners :D
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... installer/

Dragonsen

#5 Post by Dragonsen »

Hi, that's me again.

I still have a problem to get an internet access now that my WiFi card is enabled. That's a DNS issue, because I can reach an IP address but not a hostname. Here is what I tried:
- Simply adding a DNS resolver in the settings > Network > *Name of my WiFi* > IPv4. That was not successful.
- Changing /etc/resolv.conf content with a DNS resolver. It worked, but as I read, the content of this file can be changed by other applications, so after rebooting it was overwritten...
- Checking with "ls /sys/class/net". I get three interfaces : enp1s0f0, lo, wlp2s0b1. wlp2s0b1 seems to be the wifi interface. So, according to https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration I inserted those lines in /etc/interfaces :

auto wlp2s0b1
allow-hotplug wwlp2s0b1
iface wlp2s0b1 inet dhcp
iface wlp2s0b1 inet6 auto
With this solution, I got internet after executing "ifdown -a" and "ifup -a". However, after restarting my computer I saw that it was configuring interfaces and now I can't even select a wifi network.

Note that this issue only appears when connected via WiFi, I don't have any trouble when connected via Ethernet...

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

Wheelerof4te

#6 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Proper answer is on the wiki page stevepusser linked. You have to enable non-free repositories and install the firmware:

apt install firmware-b43-installer
After that, just reboot.
Avoid installing single .deb files that are already in the repos.

Dragonsen

#7 Post by Dragonsen »

Sorry, but I don't get it. That was done yesterday, I have the newest version of this repo.

What's the link with this DNS issue? :|

Wheelerof4te

#8 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Try this:
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Command_Line

# ip a
# iwconfig
# ip link set wlan0 up
Also try the other options. Maybe there is some kernel module that needs to be blacklisted. User error at the installation is my best guess, though.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Dragonsen wrote:- Changing /etc/resolv.conf content with a DNS resolver. It worked, but as I read, the content of this file can be changed by other applications, so after rebooting it was overwritten...
i think you should concentrate on this.
afaik, there's a program filling resolv.conf. maybe it's not active for wifi, or misconfigured.
https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf

Dragonsen

#10 Post by Dragonsen »

Thanks, I finally decided to set the file immutable. Probably a bit drastic... But at least I it works :roll:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

A better way is to set DNS servers with supersede in /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf . This won't get overwritten like happens with resolv.conf .
Mine is set for OpenDNS:

supersede domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222,208.67.220.220;
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

food for thought:
is stretch using systemd's resolved?
maybe that would work better?
some investigation into why this happens is still required i guess.

fwiw, i once also opted for the drastic version of setting /etc/resolv.conf immutable, but later realised that it's the equivalent of using a sledgehammer just because one cannot find the right screwdriver.