Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian fascination

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Wizard

debian fascination

#1 Post by Wizard »

I realize that this is a dumb question and a start to this forum; however, I have thought about trying Debian for years now. I am not command line knowledgeable, and have run distro's based on Debian. wanted to try the original source of all of these distros. i have asked very advanced linux users who run debian and they all said it was difficult to set up and install and get it working compared to the others i have used. especially for someone with my lack of knowledge. so - how difficult is it to get it all happening. I run older thinkpads. thank you.

Wizard

Re: debian fascination

#2 Post by Wizard »

Ok Thanks! I appreciate all of the help.

MALsPa

#3 Post by MALsPa »

Getting Debian installed and set up really isn't all that difficult if you do your resarch and read. If you decide to dive in, you could come back here and answer your own question. :)

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
As Carl Sagan wrote, "There is no such thing as a dumb question."
Wizard wrote: i have asked very advanced linux users who run debian and they all said it was difficult to set up and install and get it working compared to the others i have used. especially for someone with my lack of knowledge. so - how difficult is it to get it all happening.
I may not be a very advanced linux user but I've used Debian for many years. In my view, little if any command line knowledge is necessary to run a stable Debian desktop system but it may be useful to get everything set up and properly configured initially, which is very easy in comparison with the kind of expertise needed for advanced stuff or for server administration. You should read the Installation Guide though and consult any other relevant documentation if necessary. And of course, if there are any snags, then help is available.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Hallvor »

Debian isn't that difficult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB-gmnvYDao
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

it's not Arch :mrgreen:

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wizard wrote:I run older thinkpads
You will need non-free firmware for the wireless card (probably) so try the unofficial non-free Debian ISO images that already include such things.

ProTip: enter the emboldened phrase above into your favourite search engine to find the images.
deadbang

Wizard

#8 Post by Wizard »

Ok thank you everyone - i will have to read through the installation ifo - but when i scanned it that also seemed to make things that more difficult. many thanks.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

i have to say, when i started to read documentation instead of just installing distros willy-nilly, it was not debian's.
what i'm trying to say, i think debian's labyrinthine conglomerate of websites can be very off-putting to somebody who at least tried to do use the wiki before giving up or posting here.

nowadays i'm more comfortable with the quagmire of FLOSS documentation.

debian aren't the only ones, but afaik their websites sport a unique combination of outdated community contributions & an almost kafkaesque Bureaucracy. even the search engines are complicated.

mike acker

#10 Post by mike acker »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Wizard wrote:I run older thinkpads
You will need non-free firmware for the wireless card (probably) so try the unofficial non-free Debian ISO images that already include such things.

ProTip: enter the emboldened phrase above into your favourite search engine to find the images.

unofficial non-free Debian ISO images
Viva la Resistencia

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by cds60601 »

If you have installed Ubuntu, then you will find that the installs are similar.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious