Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Fail at initialize lightdm

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Vitekk

Fail at initialize lightdm

#1 Post by Vitekk »

I was having tearing on image to I runned the command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils -y && sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ && echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "AccelMethod" "sna"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
after rebooting I now having this error on initialize the lightdm
https://imgur.com/a/obtMJ
I'ts my firs time on the type of thing, so please, what I have to do?
PS: I'm using a GeForce GTX 750

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Fail at initialize lightdm

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Vitekk wrote:I'm using a GeForce GTX 750
Then why are you forcing Xorg to use your Intel integrated card?

Remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and try again.

You could also check /var/log/lightdm for more clues.

EDIT: to control tearing with NVIDIA cards see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV ... en_tearing
deadbang

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

Vitekk wrote:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mesa-utils -y && sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ && echo -e 'Section "Device"\n Identifier "Intel Graphics"\n Driver "Intel"\n Option "AccelMethod" "sna"\n Option "TearFree" "true"\nEndSection' | sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
so you blindly copy-pasted some spaghetti code from some random blog to solve an issue -
where did you get that from?
also, i think this command will fail if the directory already exists: sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, and the oneliner will not continue anymore.
and what has intel to do with nvidia?
it's all very questionable.

Fernando Negro

#4 Post by Fernando Negro »

When configuring GNU/Linux,

You should *never* do any procedure that you don't understand. (Otherwise - like you've learned - you risk breaking your system, or not knowing how to put things back as they were, before such procedure, if something goes wrong.)

Take your time to study what you're doing, in order to have at least an idea of what's happening. You'll repeatedly learn things, to the point that you'll start to be able to solve some of the (small) problems yourself.
I just *love* the stability, much more bug-free nature, and modular installation options of Debian. Apart from the unfortunate adoption of "systemd" (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=129881&start=165#p671030) this distribution is *great*.