Gufw: importing rules

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Gufw: importing rules

Postby Deblib » 2018-06-24 13:14

Hi, I try to import Gufw rules but he warns me about the permissions of the configuration file: "The file has invalid permissions (no 600). Trust only your exported profiles" :!: :!: :!: :?: :?: :?: . I changed them but I keep getting the same mistake. Any solution?
Deblib
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 2016-05-14 14:41

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-06-24 17:12

Let me try to guess, Is this on Debian 8, ? or Debian testing.

For general instructions, not specific to the Debian version, maybe:
How to import Gufw rules on Debian
First hit,:
https://wiki.debian.org/Uncomplicated%20Firewall%20%28ufw%29
Firewall Rules

Allowing rules is quite simple from the command line, and it is sometimes necessary. For example, by default ufw denies all of the incoming connections, which will make it a problem if you are using SSH. Therefore, you must create a rule which allows SSH connections, by typing:
Code: Select all
 # ufw allow ssh

Note: Do not include the # , it means you must be root or use sudo to run the command, are you running the command as root ?
Some of the other hits might be helpfull as well.

I see you say you changed the file permissions, but mayb you did not do that
correctly, check the file and see, using one of these commands:
Code: Select all
 stat -c "%a %n" /path/of/file
or
  ls -l filename
(use the real filename, not my example)
"The file has invalid permissions (no 600)"

You can change file permissions if need be using 'chmod' , see:
Code: Select all
man chmod

There is more info on changing file permissions here:
https://wiki.debian.org/Permissions
======= edit ====
There is also this bug report for Gufw on Debian Stretch, it has not yet been solved:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=864603
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby Deblib » 2018-06-24 19:27

Thank you!
I think it might be a bug because I had already checked the file permissions. Anyway, as there weren't many rules and the configuration file was easily editable and visible I added the rules manually and fixed it! :)
Deblib
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 2016-05-14 14:41

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby debiman » 2018-06-25 08:36

Deblib wrote: I changed them but I keep getting the same mistake.

show us.

no really, in future, show us straight away. you should know the drill by now.

instead you say "i suspect it's a bug, but i can't prove because i already fixed it". that's spreading FUD. not cool, troll.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-06-25 13:25

debiman wrote:not cool, troll.

^^ posted AFTER OP received a response to a question and then thanked responder for the information provided!


According to this dictionary definition

TROLL
NOUN
1 A person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.


So who exactly is the troll here?
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-06-25 14:52

Post by Deblib » 2018-06-24 13:27
Thank you!

You are welcome, and glad to see you were able to fix it, manually editing the file.
User avatar
GarryRicketson
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: 2015-01-20 22:16
Location: Durango, Mexico

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby cuckooflew » 2018-06-25 19:34

Dai_trying >> So who exactly is the troll here?

It would be better if Mr.Debiman could refrain from making those kind of comments, if he can not help or does not want to, then just not reply would be better.
And talking about FUD, what the OP actually said,
Postby Deblib >> 2018-06-24 13:27
Thank you!
I think it might be a bug because I had already checked the file permissions. Anyway, as there weren't many rules and the configuration file was easily editable and visible I added the rules manually and fixed it! :)

But Mr.Debiman , mis quotes the OP, saying :
Debiman>>---snip--instead you say "i suspect it's a bug, but i can't prove because i already fixed it". that's spreading FUD. not cool, troll.

That is not what the OP said, so Who is spreading FUD ? Really , Mr.Debiman should try to be more polite, maybe apologize, calling someone a troll , when that person never even said anything rude, is very much like a troll.
That is the way I see it , and I apologize for derailing the topic, but when one troll calls a innocent person a troll, it kind of invites other trolls to comment, maybe that is what Mr Debiman was trying to do, but why ?
cuckooflew
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 2018-05-10 19:34

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby debiman » 2018-06-26 07:30

ok, i overreacted.

i did misquote, but i don't think i misinterpreted what op was saying.

claiming there's a bug but not providing any real data on that claim is spreading FUD, which is for sure some form of trolling.
It's the sort of FUD that makes people shy away from Linux because it's still "so full of bugs".
It creates a snowball effect for those who still dare to use Linux, because they come to expect that Linux is "so full of bugs", so they report even more "bugs" that are really just "PEBKAC"s.

also this Deblib person has a history; my strong reaction is not completely unjustified.
_______________________________________

@Deblib, I'm sorry I snapped at you.
when you read this, please could you remove all mentions of "bug" from this thread, preferably replacing them with sth like "never found out what actually caused this, but now it's ok"?
Thank You.
_______________________________________
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-06-26 07:55

debiman wrote:ok, i overreacted.

Yes you did.
debiman wrote:i did misquote, but i don't think i misinterpreted what op was saying.

I think you did.
debiman wrote:claiming there's a bug but not providing any real data on that claim is spreading FUD, which is for sure some form of trolling.

Op did not claim there is a bug but simply said "it might be a bug" which is obviously different and by my understanding is looking for confirmation on this. (confirming {IMO} the above point)

debiman wrote:It's the sort of FUD that makes people shy away from Linux because it's still "so full of bugs".
It creates a snowball effect for those who still dare to use Linux, because they come to expect that Linux is "so full of bugs", so they report even more "bugs" that are really just "PEBKAC"s.

So are you saying that Linux has no bugs and anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be a troll???

debiman wrote:also this Deblib person has a history; my strong reaction is not completely unjustified.

And you appear to have a history of calling people trolls (which is not always the case)

debiman wrote:@Deblib, I'm sorry I snapped at you.
when you read this, please could you remove all mentions of "bug" from this thread, preferably replacing them with sth like "never found out what actually caused this, but now it's ok"?
Thank You.

That implies that this is not a bug when in fact it cannot yet be ruled out just because the OP found a way around it.
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby debiman » 2018-06-26 08:32

Dai_trying wrote:So are you saying that Linux has no bugs and anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be a troll???

what a deliberate overinterpretation of my words!
are you perchance that sort of self-centered control freak, and are you now trying to project that quality onto me???
i will have nothing to do with that.

Dai_trying wrote:
when you read this, please could you remove all mentions of "bug" from this thread, preferably replacing them with sth like "never found out what actually caused this, but now it's ok"?
Thank You.

That implies that this is not a bug when in fact it cannot yet be ruled out just because the OP found a way around it.

no it doesn't.
it implies that people should be more careful with throwing this sort of claim around, esp. if they have no hard data to back it up.
so, the alternative: provide actual hard information on the situation, and let's see if we can figure that out together.
but, as i see it, op now said that "they already fixed it and it's too late to go back" or something to that effect (and before you say a third time that i misinterpreted op's words, let's just wait til they come back and talk for themselves, ok).
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-06-26 09:32

debiman wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:So are you saying that Linux has no bugs and anyone who disagrees with your opinion must be a troll???

what a deliberate overinterpretation of my words!
are you perchance that sort of self-centered control freak, and are you now trying to project that quality onto me???
i will have nothing to do with that.

self-centred: considering I am trying to prevent another user from being portrayed a troll i would not consider this to be true (you of course are entitled to your own opinion)
control freak: that is possible, and judging from your reaction you prefer not to have any self control.

I'm not sure how I am trying to force you to be the same as me, I would just prefer not to see people being called names that do not appear to be fitting.

debiman wrote:
Dai_trying wrote:
debiman wrote:when you read this, please could you remove all mentions of "bug" from this thread, preferably replacing them with sth like "never found out what actually caused this, but now it's ok"?
Thank You.

That implies that this is not a bug when in fact it cannot yet be ruled out just because the OP found a way around it.

no it doesn't.
it implies that people should be more careful with throwing this sort of claim around, esp. if they have no hard data to back it up.
so, the alternative: provide actual hard information on the situation, and let's see if we can figure that out together.
but, as i see it, op now said that "they already fixed it and it's too late to go back" or something to that effect (and before you say a third time that i misinterpreted op's words, let's just wait til they come back and talk for themselves, ok).

I think you are still confused about this "claim", the user very clearly stated
OP wrote:I think it might be a bug"

(speculative) which is not the same as saying "This is a bug" (definitive).
Op was trying to find this out but found a workaround before it could be confirmed/ruled out, and your post which has caused this thread to go very off topic was uncalled for (IMO).
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 567
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby Deblib » 2018-06-26 18:33

(For leaving this issue settled I only say that debiman has tried to help me on more than one occasion and it does not bother me to make any comment out of place. We've all done it some time and I think he does it with good intentions. If I come to this forum it is because I need help and sometimes any small step in Debian is very difficult for me. Excuse me if I'm too heavy or I'm not too decisive! Thank you all!)
Deblib
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 2016-05-14 14:41

Re: Gufw: importing rules

Postby debiman » 2018-06-26 20:29

^ well thanks for not losing your head.

i would have prefered some clarification about the issue at hand.

PS: always nice to quote this.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18


Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable