Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slow internet after install

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
freefixkorma

Slow internet after install

#1 Post by freefixkorma »

Hi there after installing debian 9 on my amd64 I having very slow connection, I have acer laptop, I thought it was the router I replace it, I did speed test on other laptop and speed is awesome, please excuse my ignorance if you need me to post any output please le me know and what commands to use thank you

pylkko

Re: Slow internet after install

#2 Post by pylkko »

What do you mean with "speed of internet"?

dotlj

#3 Post by dotlj »

freefixkorma wrote:Hi there after installing debian 9 on my amd64 I having very slow connection, I have acer laptop, I thought it was the router I replace it, I did speed test on other laptop and speed is awesome, please excuse my ignorance if you need me to post any output please le me know and what commands to use thank you
Debian is one of the fastest Operating Systems. Slow connection can be caused by Network Interface Card - are you connecting by cable (Gbit, 100Mbit,or what) or WiFi (802.11abgn?)
What website are you using to measure Internet speed?
Is the other laptop using the same network, same connection to the network, same website, at the same time?

Finally, can you provide some statisics such as 1.0 Gbit/seconnd for both laptops?

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

freefixkorma wrote:Hi there after installing debian 9 on my amd64 I having very slow connection, I have acer laptop, I thought it was the router I replace it, I did speed test on other laptop and speed is awesome, please excuse my ignorance if you need me to post any output please le me know and what commands to use thank you
You could install speedtest-cli, in terminal as root:

Code: Select all

apt install speedtest-cli
Program is also used in terminal, command:

Code: Select all

speedtest-cli
Then you get some data.

Please note, speed varies a lot if you try it at different times. Same appplies to any speedtest.