Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backlighting in grub

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Ezingers

Backlighting in grub

#1 Post by Ezingers »

I am using Stretch (Debian 9) the problem is in the bootup. The grub image is too dark which makes it hard to read the grub menu and then when it gets to the Plymouth Theme it's also to dark until it gets halfway threw loading the Plymouth and then it brightens up. How can I fix this to where it's bright enough from the grub on? When the Plymouth does brighten up halfway threw, it's perfect. That's the way I want it all the way from beginning. :roll:

bw123

Re: Backlighting in grub

#2 Post by bw123 »

Never had that problem, I usually don;t like light backgrounds in grub. Do your backlight hotkeys work while you see the grub menu?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

so it's a lptop backlight problem.

incidentally, i also see this on one laptop running debian stable.
i never perceived it as a problem.

what have your preliminary troubleshooting & web searches revealed so far?

Ezingers

#4 Post by Ezingers »

to bw123: No. The backlight hotkey works, but not in the grub to fix this problem. It's important to me because my eye site is pore, even when using my readers.

to debiman: Nothing. I.ve found on another to darken it, but using it , all that does is make the plymouth stay as dark as the grub.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

on second thought, if it's too dark already during grub menu, then the only solution can be in the BIOS, becasue afaik grub does not handle backlight brightness.
look there?