Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Backup/System Restore

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Backup/System Restore

#21 Post by CwF »

millpond wrote:The thing with the qemu-backup is whether the Linux utils can handle 300Gb+ , about what I need for this system, fully backed.
I did say segregated...I wouldn't dream of using qcow as a backup for a 300+GB data set unless it operated in a vm as a qcow. Although I'm sure it would handle it just fine. The idea of 'fully backed up' is not necessarily a single solution, as said more than once in this thread. Cleaned of junk my 'fully backed' system (OS) could be maybe 12 GB. As said, the building blocks are gigs. Terabytes of user data is an entirely different issue.

tyler2016

Re: Backup/System Restore

#22 Post by tyler2016 »

How about dump/restore? The package name is dump. dump can write to standard out which can be compressed, sent through an ssh tunnel, etc.

Example:

Code: Select all

root # dump 0f - /mountpoint | gzip > full #full
root # dump 1f - /mountpoint | gzip > delta # changes since last level 0
Dump levels are from 1 to 9, so you have a lot of flexibility.