Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't add desktop icons

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mxmaniac

Can't add desktop icons

#1 Post by mxmaniac »

I'm using debian wheezy, with the default version of gnome.

I've spent over hour researching how to make a simple desktop icon, but cannot seem to do it.

I installed gnome-tweak-tool, and turned on the setting to "have file manager handle desktop", which put the computer and trash icons on there, but I cannot find any way to simply add a shortcut/launcher for iceweasel.

So frustrating, I've seriously read 20 pages and watched multiple youtube videos on this gnome-tweak-tool, and still haven't succeeded in this simple task of making a desktop icon

Issyer

Re: Can't add desktop icons

#2 Post by Issyer »

Right click on the Desktop --> Create launcher?

mxmaniac

#3 Post by mxmaniac »

That option is not available (though I saw someone else do it in a youtube video).

I only get create new folder, create new document, organize desktop by name, keep aligned, change desktop background.

Issyer

#4 Post by Issyer »

kedaha

#5 Post by kedaha »

I use the gnome classic desktop option - although I'd much prefer Gnome 2 - and I have a few desktop like iceweasel, icedove and minitube. How? Left click with mouse on applications in the upper panel then, for example, highlight Iceweasel Web Browser and then hold down the Super key (the one with the Windows logo) on it and then left-click on the item from the Gnome menu and simply drag it to the desktop by keeping the mouse button depressed and release.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

kevin86

#6 Post by kevin86 »

You first have to enable filemanager to run your desktop. This is found in advanced options (I think you can access it through your user icon top right, but not sure). The default, if you're not used to it, might seem your desktop is "disabled". If you enable filemanager to run your desktop you're able to create and add stuff to it. There are other nice options there also.

mxmaniac

#7 Post by mxmaniac »

Still no luck. I already enabled filemanager (have re-done this over and over again). the Superkey + left click and drag did not work.

The link posted had some instructions for terminal commands "gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new", and jumping through a bunch of hoops, but ran into a dead end along the way then the goofy spring icon it placed wouldn't execute. So hours wasted and still unsuccessful.

Why on earth would they make such a simple thing so difficult? Other desktops have simple drag&drop, right click, etc. Why on earth do they want people to spend hours figuring out how to do this, and then even when they know how, having to spend 5-10 minutes of work per icon? Its mind boggling.

Is there any "user friendly" solution I'm missing, or do I just need to ditch gnome for something different over this stupid issue?

Issyer

#8 Post by Issyer »

mxmaniac wrote: Is there any "user friendly" solution I'm missing, or do I just need to ditch gnome for something different over this stupid issue?
Yeah, dump it. I don't like gnome myself. It's kind of stupid. Use XFCE

Code: Select all

apt-get install xfce4
http://www.xfce.org/

Then log out, go to the session switch and choose xfce. Then log in.

vivoaca

#9 Post by vivoaca »

I have been annoyed with the Gnome Classic desktop, as was mxmaniac but after enabling filemanager to handle things, I see that I have icons on my desktop and that I can successfully drag/drop from the Applications menu. I don't need to use the 'Super key'.

I often like to use seamless mode though (Virtual Box VM on Windows), so will go back to filemanager-desktop-management disabled. I can get the full Gnome desktop too and am pretty impressed with it but for what I've been doing, I 1. prefer a little bit the 'Classic' interface and 2. being able to see my Windows desktop.

Randicus

#10 Post by Randicus »

vivoaca wrote:I often like to use ... (Virtual Box VM on Windows), so ... am pretty impressed with it but for what I've been doing, ... and 2. being able to see my Windows desktop.
:roll:

ziggybopbopdoo

#11 Post by ziggybopbopdoo »

To me having desktop icons is kinda like keeping your car keys under your car

Old_Fart_01

#12 Post by Old_Fart_01 »

I know this might be a little old but I think I have the answer that is allot simpler.
All you need to do is open up your Home folder. Then open up the Desktop folder.

Then using the menu "Applications" right click and hold on the application you are
wanting on your Desktop then drag to Desktop folder,and release.
The icon should apear on your desktop, and you should be able to
launch the application from your desktop.

Please forgive me if I have reapeated someone's answer.

faber235

#13 Post by faber235 »

first as said before you have to make filemanager manage desktop is under aplication-sistem tools-advanced setting
activating that you will see your icon in your desktop ( if you have had it before) all in your $home/../desktop/ will be visible on, just make an exec file there and you have your icon,,, if you want to have an icon for a program already installed just serach for it in /usr/share/applications and copy and paste in your home/../desktop/ folder

I think it is too late but maybe is usefull for somebody

regards

Milind Oka

#14 Post by Milind Oka »

Thanks to Old_Fart_01. his/her solution seems to be the best and easiest. It did worked for me like a charm.
Actually I used the left mouse key to drag the application from menu.
Note that I am using BOSSLINUX 5.0 made for India (Bharat Operating System) derived from debian, uses gnome/kde . So i think should work for
all debians with minor difference.