Can I update Gnash? How?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-06-21 20:54

I installed Debian a bit more than half a year ago, for experimental purposes. From what I understand it already from the beginning has an old Gnash version. I can't watch Youtube videos, and now I have started having trouble with buttons in text editors on certain webpages (not this one though) that I think is because of this.

There are newer Gnash versions, but the regular commands that I have read about when searching, such as "aptitude update" and "aptitude upgrade gnash" seems to think I have the latest already. If I remember correctly "apt-get" could be used the same way, but yeilded the same result.

I haven't dared to use dist-upgrade since I'm afraid it may remove something important, but would it make a difference?

It was a while since I was at this, so I don't remember everything I have done, but I think I tried something with the sources once too.

I'm a noob at this, and every information page I have found either gives me information overload or not the information I'm after. I've spent hours upon hours on this, please help me. I don't want to use non-open source unless it's necessary, but if it is, please tell me how to do that instead.
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2014-06-21 21:13

If you use firefox, it has an add-on that converts you-tube videos to HTML5 --- they play on my laptop & I wouldn't touch flash with a 10-foot pole :)
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 12612
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby arid » 2014-06-21 22:51

Hey noob

I hate to tell you but you don't know enough to be a noob.

You have Debian what?

You have browser what?

You have gnash what?

If using flash is such a capital offense, why is it in the Debian non-free repo?

I tried gnash once and found it so sadly lacking in so many respects, I felt embarrassed for the developers.

I am on unstable and have the latest flash on a ten foot pole that works perfectly with Iceweasel.

I could go on and on about you checking this and that but, sorry, I have better things to do.

But take heart as there are many on this forum that don't have better things to do and I'm sure will be arriving soon.
There's no drama in my sid......
arid
 
Posts: 94
Joined: 2014-05-08 18:40
Location: Aridzona

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby milomak » 2014-06-21 23:24

assuming you are running stable, backports seems to have an updated version
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy gnash
gnash:
  Version table:
     0.8.11~git20140319+dfsg-1~bpo70+1 0
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports/main amd64 Packages
     0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages


you also don't seem to have expressed a stance against non-free so i will also leave you with these
Code: Select all
$ aptitude search flashplugin
i   flashplugin-nonfree                                                                          - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound                                                               - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound:i386                                                          - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   mint-flashplugin                                                                             - Metapackage for Adobe Flash plugin                                                                     
p   mint-flashplugin-10.2:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.2                                                                               
p   mint-flashplugin-10.3:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.3 Beta 2                                                                         
p   mint-flashplugin-11                                                                          - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-11:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-square                                                                      - Adobe Flash plugin Square Preview 3                                                                   
p   mint-flashplugin-steam                                                                       - Flash plugin for Steam                                                                                 
i   pepperflashplugin-nonfree                                                                    - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   pepperflashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                               - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin


and also
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
     1:3.2 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ISK [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-06-25 19:29

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:If you use firefox, it has an add-on that converts you-tube videos to HTML5 --- they play on my laptop & I wouldn't touch flash with a 10-foot pole :)


Well, I'm using Iceweasel (17.0.10), so I guess it'd work. What's its name?

arid wrote:Hey noob

I hate to tell you but you don't know enough to be a noob.

You have Debian what?

You have browser what?

You have gnash what?

If using flash is such a capital offense, why is it in the Debian non-free repo?

I tried gnash once and found it so sadly lacking in so many respects, I felt embarrassed for the developers.

I am on unstable and have the latest flash on a ten foot pole that works perfectly with Iceweasel.

I could go on and on about you checking this and that but, sorry, I have better things to do.

But take heart as there are many on this forum that don't have better things to do and I'm sure will be arriving soon.


Hey troll/A**H***/whatever

I thought about writing versions when I began writing, but then I got in a hurry and forgot it. It's true, even though I'm sure you won't believe it.

I have: Debian "Wheezy" 7.1, Iceweasel 17.0.10, and quoted from the addons tab: "Shockwave Flash 10.1 r999. Gnash 0.8.11dev, the GNU SWF Player.", so I guess that would be 0.8.11.

I have not said that using Flash is an offense, I said I prefer open source if it works. I don't know why it's included or not in different places.

Is the 10-foot pole (can't help but convert it to about 3 meters, lol) something that has anything to do with this, or was it only a response to previous poster?

milomak wrote:assuming you are running stable, backports seems to have an updated version
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy gnash
gnash:
  Version table:
     0.8.11~git20140319+dfsg-1~bpo70+1 0
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports/main amd64 Packages
     0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages


you also don't seem to have expressed a stance against non-free so i will also leave you with these
Code: Select all
$ aptitude search flashplugin
i   flashplugin-nonfree                                                                          - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound                                                               - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound:i386                                                          - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   mint-flashplugin                                                                             - Metapackage for Adobe Flash plugin                                                                     
p   mint-flashplugin-10.2:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.2                                                                               
p   mint-flashplugin-10.3:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.3 Beta 2                                                                         
p   mint-flashplugin-11                                                                          - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-11:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-square                                                                      - Adobe Flash plugin Square Preview 3                                                                   
p   mint-flashplugin-steam                                                                       - Flash plugin for Steam                                                                                 
i   pepperflashplugin-nonfree                                                                    - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   pepperflashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                               - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin


and also
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
     1:3.2 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages


Since it is 0.8.11 I have, and I have tried the "apt-get" and "aptitude" with the "upgrade gnash" (I think it was like that, it said something like "0 files to install, 0:alter 0:remove" and version was the same) and I had run the apt-whatever "update", I don't think that's what I want. I saw newer versions when visiting some page about Gnash a while ago.
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2014-06-26 07:11

aNoobInSweden wrote:Well, I'm using Iceweasel (17.0.10), so I guess it'd work. What's its name?

It's called "YouTube ALL HTML5 2.1.3"
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 12612
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby milomak » 2014-07-03 22:35

aNoobInSweden wrote:Since it is 0.8.11 I have, and I have tried the "apt-get" and "aptitude" with the "upgrade gnash" (I think it was like that, it said something like "0 files to install, 0:alter 0:remove" and version was the same) and I had run the apt-whatever "update", I don't think that's what I want. I saw newer versions when visiting some page about Gnash a while ago.


did you notice the difference in 0.8.11 versions?
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700-15ISK [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Sid, Win10, Solus
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid
milomak
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: 2009-06-09 22:20

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-07-04 19:36

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
aNoobInSweden wrote:Well, I'm using Iceweasel (17.0.10), so I guess it'd work. What's its name?

It's called "YouTube ALL HTML5 2.1.3"


Thanks, I'll see if I can find and install it.
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-07-04 19:37

milomak wrote:
aNoobInSweden wrote:Since it is 0.8.11 I have, and I have tried the "apt-get" and "aptitude" with the "upgrade gnash" (I think it was like that, it said something like "0 files to install, 0:alter 0:remove" and version was the same) and I had run the apt-whatever "update", I don't think that's what I want. I saw newer versions when visiting some page about Gnash a while ago.


did you notice the difference in 0.8.11 versions?


What difference, from what? I don't think I ever had anything else than 0.8.11.
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby dasein » 2014-07-04 19:40

Also...

I honestly don't know if it's still true, but traditionally, trying to run both gnash and the Adobe player simultaneously leads to nothing but problems.

Might also be worth checking out PepperFlash. (And before you ask what that is, and where/how to get it, try a search of the forums first.)
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7775
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby M51 » 2014-07-04 21:18

YouTube has an option to use the HTML5 player instead of Flash. Works for me.

Adobe software sucks + closed source software sucks = Way too much suckage.
If a site requires Flash, it must be pushing crap I don't want anyway.

arid wrote:If using flash is such a capital offense, why is it in the Debian non-free repo?


Um...because it is proprietary closed source junk? It's provided for convenience, but doesn't meet Debian's standards for free software.

There's some crap (like Adobe software) in the non-free repository. Unfortunately there are a few almost-free applications that get lumped in with the garbage, e.g. MAME, which only prohibits commercial use, but is otherwise free. I suppose splitting the repos even further would be cumbersome, so it's understandable, but still unfortunate.
M51
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 2013-05-13 01:38

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-08-10 08:50

dasein wrote:Also...

I honestly don't know if it's still true, but traditionally, trying to run both gnash and the Adobe player simultaneously leads to nothing but problems.

Might also be worth checking out PepperFlash. (And before you ask what that is, and where/how to get it, try a search of the forums first.)


PepperFlash seems to be something from Google and require a Google browser. No thanks, I'm trusting Google very much less than Adobe or anyone else. It's bad enough they have taken over Youtube, I don't want their spyware as a plugin and definitely not as a browser!
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-08-10 10:15

milomak wrote:assuming you are running stable, backports seems to have an updated version
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy gnash
gnash:
  Version table:
     0.8.11~git20140319+dfsg-1~bpo70+1 0
        100 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ wheezy-backports/main amd64 Packages
     0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages


you also don't seem to have expressed a stance against non-free so i will also leave you with these
Code: Select all
$ aptitude search flashplugin
i   flashplugin-nonfree                                                                          - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound                                                               - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound:i386                                                          - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS                                         
p   mint-flashplugin                                                                             - Metapackage for Adobe Flash plugin                                                                     
p   mint-flashplugin-10.2:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.2                                                                               
p   mint-flashplugin-10.3:i386                                                                   - Adobe Flash plugin 10.3 Beta 2                                                                         
p   mint-flashplugin-11                                                                          - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-11:i386                                                                     - Adobe Flash plugin 11                                                                                 
p   mint-flashplugin-square                                                                      - Adobe Flash plugin Square Preview 3                                                                   
p   mint-flashplugin-steam                                                                       - Flash plugin for Steam                                                                                 
i   pepperflashplugin-nonfree                                                                    - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin                                                                   
p   pepperflashplugin-nonfree:i386                                                               - Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin


and also
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
flashplugin-nonfree:
     1:3.2 0
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages
        500 http://free.hands.com/debian/ stable/contrib amd64 Packages



I'm sorry, I didn't understand the "backport" idea before, now I have read up on it a little bit. Is it safe to enable wheezy-backports in sources.list? I read that it is bad to mix different, at least stable, unstable and testing, especially for inexperienced users.
The same question goes for wheezy-updates.


This is where I read about the sources.list, I haven't read all of the document: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debia ... 02.en.html

This is what I get when writing "apt-cache policy gnash"
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy gnash
gnash:
  Installerad: 0.8.11~git20120629-1
  Kandidat:    0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1
  Versionstabell:
     0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1 0
        500 http://ftp.se.debian.org/debian/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
 *** 0.8.11~git20120629-1 0
        500 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 7.1.0 _Wheezy_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 20130615-23:06]/ wheezy/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2014-08-10 11:18

aNoobInSweden wrote:Is it safe to enable wheezy-backports (and wheezy-updates) in sources.list?
Short answer is yes - they are both maintained by Debian and the packages are intended to be compatible with wheezy. (That is a good doc to read btw)

Packages from the wheezy-backports repo however, are not tested by the release team for upgradability to the versions in the next stable release.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
User avatar
dilberts_left_nut
 
Posts: 5077
Joined: 2009-10-05 07:54
Location: enzed

Re: Can I update Gnash? How?

Postby aNoobInSweden » 2014-08-13 20:48

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
aNoobInSweden wrote:Is it safe to enable wheezy-backports (and wheezy-updates) in sources.list?
Short answer is yes - they are both maintained by Debian and the packages are intended to be compatible with wheezy. (That is a good doc to read btw)

Packages from the wheezy-backports repo however, are not tested by the release team for upgradability to the versions in the next stable release.


Next stable release of what, Debian? Jessie that is? Does that mean that if I download this now, and later upgrade to Jessie, it may break Gnash? Or can it break the entire system, requiring special skills just to get it working at all? I do have a harddrive backup made with CloneZilla, but I don't want to paint myself into a corner, not being able to upgrade if and when that day comes.
aNoobInSweden
 
Posts: 28
Joined: 2014-06-21 20:16

Next

Return to Beginners Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

fashionable