Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Best Software for a Windows 95 VM

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Frank|Bordeaux

Best Software for a Windows 95 VM

#1 Post by Frank|Bordeaux »

I want to create a Windows 95 virtual machine. I need to know the best software available to Wheezy stable for doing this. I don't know how to use QEMU.

mardybear

Re: Best Software for a Windows 95 VM

#2 Post by mardybear »

Only tried it on virtualbox, old version 3.1.6, and it was not successful. Very poor performance and when windows95 was running it utilized 100% of my processor, even when both the host and guest systems were not actively being used. There's supposedly a command option/switch, can't remember exact command, when running setup to install windows so the processor works correctly but it didn't work for me. Don't think virtualbox spent a lot of development effort getting windows95 or 98 running properly. Haven't tried in any other virtual environments...
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

buzzin

#3 Post by buzzin »

You could try kvm with virt-manager if your hardware supports it.
kvm = Kernel driven to use hardware virtualisation options, if the hardware doesn't support it, it reverts back to qemu.
But in both cases you can use virt-manager.

Or, if you like you could use aqemu. Looks and feels more like virtualbox.

But I can't say anything about their capabiliteit when it comes to Win95.
(why would you want to? If anything I would try Win2000)
Sysadmin/KDE user

Frank|Bordeaux

#4 Post by Frank|Bordeaux »

I found this guide for creating a VM with QEMU: http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_Windows_95_on_Qemu. With those backwards slashes and the C: directory it sounds like the author is using Windows. It also sounds like a lot of work.