Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

gksu nautilus stored password

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
retghy

gksu nautilus stored password

#1 Post by retghy »

Hello to all.

When I use the command "gksu nautilus" it ask for root password and ask if you want to store the password for the session or forever. Is there a way to make it forget that password without having to restart the computer? Is it stored in a file somewhere?

Thank you very much in advanced for your response.

mardybear

Re: gksu nautilus stored password

#2 Post by mardybear »

Yes there is a way but can't remember the process, sorry. I've done this before as i prefer to enter the password everytime. A quick google search should solve the issue.. I believe something related to keyring. Not certain about the reboot but i don't think it would be required.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

retghy

#3 Post by retghy »

I know it is related to gnome keyring but I still havent found a way to do it without restarting.

The computers we use, cannot be restarted so often and in case someone made a mistake and selected to remember the password for the entire session, that would be a security problem if I leave it like that.

I tried google but maybe I don't how to search for it especifically.

Sorry for my english.

Still hoping someone else point me in the right direction.

mardybear

#4 Post by mardybear »

If you are worried about security then focus your internet searches on how to remove or disable gnome-keyring permanently: https://www.google.com/search?q=remove+ ... annel=fflb

Keyrings are a potential security weakness disguised as a convenience. Removal would probably be best but be careful to ensure apt-get doesn't want to remove a lot of other gnome related software. This can be done by simulating removal/dry run - read the man page on apt-get. Depending on your situation, if there should only be one user performing root privilege system chages then also remove sudo (if it's installed).

edit: Don't worry about your english - it is good. Most people don't even know more than one language :)
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.