Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Good drive from different machine but cant see files.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Reneerd

Good drive from different machine but cant see files.

#1 Post by Reneerd »

Hi everyone,

Learning the wonders of Debian but am faced with a higher level issue that I have not been able to find an answer that fits the situation.

Facts:
Machine 1: Dlink NAS324 with open source Debian mod Alt-f (https://code.google.com/p/alt-f/)
- Contains 2 x 3TB drives of video files
- Drive 1 kaput and likely contained the boot info.
- Drive 2 still good.
- Drives were independent (not viewed as one giant combined drive) in ext 4 I believe
- The NAS went down awhile ago and cannot recall the user names/passwords (Not sure this matters as noted with Drive 1 was likely the drive that contained the information.
- A replacement for Drive 1 was put in and setup just to see if it could then see the files (Drive 2 was added after setup was complete). No joy.

Machine 2: Ubuntu Server v14
- ATOM (repurposed old laptop) based always on server to handle home network and file streaming.

Issue:
- Cannot get the files from Drive 2 to show on any other machine (Tried Windows, Debian (a 3rd machine) and Ubuntu). I can only guess that this is related to the perms of the files.

Question:
Is it possible to access files on Drive 2 so that I can transfer them off it to another 3tb drive.

I can run any OS type either as a temporary machine or virtual machine if it will help me get access to these files. As you can imagine, 3TB of video files is beyond time consuming to replace.

Ardouos

Re: Good drive from different machine but cant see files.

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Hello,

Does your computer even detect the hard drive?

Type in

Code: Select all

lsblk 
Then paste the results.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Reneerd

#3 Post by Reneerd »

Thanks Ardouos!

Ah sorry, should have been more specific. Yes, the drive is being detected and no other actions have been taken (no formatting or anything).

Windows: Wants to format it.

Debian (on NAS): Sees it but not the files. Theoretically should be able to write to it but have not tried yet for obvious reasons.

Ubuntu: Okay I am pulling from memory but I want to say it saw the drive but cant for the life of me remember how it treated it beyond that. I can redo it if it helps.

------------------------------

At work but when I get home, I will run the check on the drive while mounted in the NAS via putty. This way the least amount of variables have changed when outputting the results.

Thanks again!

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

Are you sure you didnt set up a RAID volume?

Can you run a check on the physical disk to see whether there are any damaged sectors? This can be done by using fsck.

If the drive is mounted and you cannot access the files you could try mounting it to a docking station?
Windows: Wants to format it.
If it is ext4 Windows generally does not detect that file system. Strange that it sees it and asks to format it.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀