Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configuring Mail...

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
koka-bora

Configuring Mail...

#1 Post by koka-bora »

Hi folks:

I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out. I'm a newbie so please be gentle and if there are any instructions, please be detailed.

Here's the problem:
I have a Windows 7 machine with VMWare installed on it. One of my virtual machines is Debain 7. On the Debian machine I do my website development/testing and everything is run from localhost. What I can't seem to do and can't find any information on is how to set up a mail server.

In some of the website design there's emails that are automatically sent and I'd like to be able to test that functionality, prior to a production release.

dasein

Re: Configuring Mail...

#2 Post by dasein »

Not at all surprisingly, the specific details of how to set up and configure a mail server depend entirely on which mail server one chooses to install.

My very strong preference is Postfix. There are a lot of reasons to like it, among them its extraordinarily detailed and comprehensive documentation.

koka-bora

Re: Configuring Mail...

#3 Post by koka-bora »

So far I've tried sendmail and exim4 without much success. I will try Postfix next.