Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Login screen not appearing after upgrade to Jessie

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
stevepusser

Re: Login screen not appearing after upgrade to Jessie

#16 Post by stevepusser »

yzT wrote:your problem is an incompatibility between ATI cards and the latest kernel.

I didn't test in depth, but the current kernel 3.16 and its radeon driver are not working properly. If you want to install fglrx, you need to downgrade to kernel 3.13 as it's the latest supported by the beta version (14.6)
Actually, you can safely install the Sid fglrx packages in Jessie and Wheezy, and they are patched to build with the 3.14 at least through the 3.16 kernel. They were also easy to backport on a Wheezy base to go along with a backported 3.16 Liquorix kernel. I don't know what's keeping them out of Jessie.

The driver source straight from AMD will have those problems, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

yzT

#17 Post by yzT »

JulietLindv wrote:Anyway way to roll back to the previous state?
yes, clone your root directory with CloneZilla before attempting to upgrade.

peter_irich

#18 Post by peter_irich »

I have troubles with fglrx in Jessie too. After system has booting, graphics mode usually not settled and I got login in text mode.
I log in as root and restart my DM:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/kdm restart
after this graphics mode usually starts.

Peter.

Cre8ted4

#19 Post by Cre8ted4 »

:D I use sparkylinux also had no login screen witch is debian also i fixed it with

((((((((( HOLD- ALT+CTRL+F1 LOGIN:USER---PASS THEN SWITCHED TO ALT+CTRL+F7 AND FOUND THE GUI ))))))))))))

ps i also got a black screen after i installed ,updated and rebooted this worked for me ... hope it works for you smileys if it worked........