Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which ISO to download ?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
tonycstech

Which ISO to download ?

#1 Post by tonycstech »

debian-7.6.0-amd64-DVD-1
debian-7.6.0-amd64-DVD-2
debian-7.6.0-amd64-DVD-3
Others are update.

I dont see anything on the main download page explaining what # means what. Do i need all 3 ?
I want the KDE one, since GNOME would fail to install GRUB during installation so i cant even install that darn thing on to my computer.

Thanks !

deltaflyer

Re: Which ISO to download ?

#2 Post by deltaflyer »

dvd 1 will suffice,just select advanced from the menu and follow the instructions.providing you have a decent enough internet,you'' be able to d/l the updates as well when installing ;)
free your computer,use opensource

tonycstech

#3 Post by tonycstech »

But why there are 3 of them ?

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

This question gets asked a lot, so much so that it qualifies for an entry in the FAQ. Deltaflyer's answer is exactly correct, so either: (1) accept it and move on or (2) devote a few minutes' worth of your own time to answer your own question, and look it up for yourself.

tonycstech

#5 Post by tonycstech »

Yet no clear answer is given.
"dvd 1 will suffice" is like telling me "dont think, just do it" Almost sounds like am I'm an idiot.
I see 3 and they have significant size difference, so i want to know which one is which.
I also wanted to download KDE version so i thought that maybe 1 is GNOME 2 is KDE and 3 is XFCE or what ever.

Any clarification on that ?

tonycstech

#6 Post by tonycstech »

the 2 and 3 dont even run.
All i see is:
CLIENT MAC ADDR: on the screen and
DHCP... turning with /-\|/-\| etc

dasein

#7 Post by dasein »

tonycstech wrote:Yet no clear answer is given.
On the contrary, you asked exactly one question in your initial post ("Do i need all 3 ?"), and deltaflyer answered it correctly and incisively. What exactly should he have done, answered a different question?? (Something along the lines of "the atomic number of zinc is 30" perhaps.)
tonycstech wrote:Almost sounds like am I'm an idiot.
Not at all. If I thought you were an idiot, I wouldn't have bothered to point you to the FAQ, which, at the risk of seeming to repeat myself, answers every single question you've asked in this thread.

Edit: A review of your posting history shows that this is the second time in the two days you've been here that you've been urged to do some basic research prior to posting a question, and you've even been pointed to the what we expect you have already done sticky. Your retort in the other thread is that you "Google enough."

At the risk of pointing out the incredibly obvious: no, you don't. You give every impression of someone who is too lazy to invest even a minute's effort to acquire an answer. It's unclear exactly why you'd expect strangers to do more to help you than you are willing to do to help yourself.

tonycstech

#8 Post by tonycstech »

Yep. Lazy to read
Debian Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage
Debian Reference: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
Debian FAQ: http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/
Debian ISO's http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/
A Beginners Guide to Debian: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=58557

when all i needed to know is which ISO to download and why, if all 3 are named the same way.

Instead of giving me answer which one (that was given) and why (not given) all i get is making my self look more and more stupid (or lazy, which ever you prefer)

The second reason why i dont get into accidents is because o follow my dad's logic. That is: Everyone is an idiot but you. It means i have to expect them to be and act accordingly.
In the case of downloading ISO images, it would be much simpler to do the good old "click HERE" thing. Showing folders index with endless content is not only strange (for most) way to download, but also confusing as to which one when some share same name. I know how, i hosted multiple servers and webs ftp http you name it, so i know what it is, but most people dont AND certainly most most people have no idea the difference between ISO 1 2 and 3 until they download them and try all 3 like i have.

In any case, i quit.

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

You know what would be really cool? If someone would collect all those links and put them in a forum sig... (Oh. Wait.)

You want "click here" links suitable for the terminally lazy? No problem.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=which+debian+dvd+do+i+need%3F
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+are+there+so+m ... an+dvds%3F
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=do+i+need+all+thre ... +debian%3F

Here's one where the "hit count" is particularly informative:
https://startpage.com/do/search?cmd=pro ... et&x=0&y=0

(P.S. You forgot to say that you'd searched "for hours". :lol:)

arid

#10 Post by arid »

LMAO II :mrgreen:
all i get is making my self look more and more stupid
Almost sounds like am I'm an idiot
You can't fool me MaryNerdy by changing your screen name. :lol:

Speeking of fool, as tennis great John McEnroe used to scream on court "you can't be serious", with your continuing quest.

Download the first DVD and get on with your install.

I never had your problem since there is no Debian Unstable DVD at all.

It's all done with smoke and mirrors and flames and....................................
There's no drama in my sid......

tonycstech

#11 Post by tonycstech »

can i get a favor from MOD to delete my profile ?
Cant seem to find a link.
Thanks !

Not sure what you mean by changing screen name.
After all this talk, not one said what is the difference nor why should i download 1st one. "Just do it" is like saying "dont think, just do it" Typical American strategy.

MALsPa

#12 Post by MALsPa »

tonycstech wrote:After all this talk, not one said what is the difference nor why should i download 1st one. "Just do it" is like saying "dont think, just do it" Typical American strategy.
I don't understand why you didn't simply look it up. As everyone else is trying to tell you, the info's right there at your fingertips, just read the documentation.
Furthermore, in most cases it is not necessary to download all of the images for your architecture. The packages are sorted by popularity: The first CD/DVD contains the installation system and the most popular packages. The second one contains slightly less popular ones, the third one even less popular ones, etc. You will probably only need the first DVD (or the first two CDs) unless you have very special requirements. (And in case you happen to need a package later on which is not on one of the CDs/DVDs you downloaded, you can always install that package directly from the Internet.)
http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd

I hope that clears things up for you.

RU55EL

#13 Post by RU55EL »

tonycstech wrote:[...]After all this talk, not one said what is the difference nor why should i download 1st one. "Just do it" is like saying "dont think, just do it" Typical American strategy.
The answer to your question is in the linked material. I am new to Debian, and being interested in it, I did a little reading about how to install Debian and what was on the disks. If you are reading this from a computer with internet access you have everything you need to answer your question within minutes.

One of the things that I really like about GNU/Linux, and especially Debian, is that it requires me to use my brain a lot. This forum also seems to expect you to use your brain. That is one of the many reasons that I like this forum. Don't misunderstand the responses you are getting, you are being informed that the answer you are looking for is easy to find if you spend just a little time looking for it. Sometimes it may seem a little harsh, but it is good to be pushed to think and find the answers for yourself. If you have made a real effort to find the solution to a problem and provide enough information for others here to help you, you might be surprise at the helpful response you will get. But, if you ask for help finding something that is very easy to find, don't expect a lot of people here to jump in and provide you with a quick answer.

You know that you just need the first disk for the install:
deltaflyer wrote:dvd 1 will suffice,just select advanced from the menu and follow the instructions.providing you have a decent enough internet,you'' be able to d/l the updates as well when installing ;)
When you ask why there are three disks it is suggested that you take a little time and read the Debian FAQ. Have you? You might be surprise by the useful information there.

Just out of curiosity, I tried the previously posted link:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=why+are+there+so+m ... an+dvds%3F
and found the answer you are looking for in a matter of seconds...

Eireannach

#14 Post by Eireannach »

tonycstech wrote:can i get a favor from MOD to delete my profile ?
Cant seem to find a link.
Thanks !
@tonycstech - I know that some of the replies on this forum can be somewhat curt and brusque ( have to say I haven't personally experienced this) but don't be put off. It is true that a lot of the links posted have a huge well of useful information particularly the FAQ and Debian Reference - see the links in Dasein's signature. When I first started with Debian a few months back I spent time reading through the FAQ and Reference and I commend them to you - you will be rewarded many times over in terms of understanding how Debian "fits together".

@ others ( you know who you are :D ) - I agree that pointing people to useful resources is the best way to promote "thoughtful" questions but perhaps we could do so without being critical/impolite ? If we drive people away rather than trying to encourage them what purpose will be left for this forum - especially the Beginners section ?

dasein

#15 Post by dasein »

Eireannach wrote:...pointing people to useful resources is the best way to promote "thoughtful" questions but perhaps we could do so without being critical/impolite ?
"Be the change you want to see."