Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Configuring connection to my home WiFi router

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
M0sk

Configuring connection to my home WiFi router

#1 Post by M0sk »

I just installed Debian Jessie and have yet to do anything with it. My first inclination is to connect to the internet, yet doing this has not been clear to me all day. I found a wiki saying that to connect, you can install a package with the command

Apt-get install network-manager-gnome

After doing so I am supposed to log off then back in to find a new icon in the system tray which will act as a connection interface to connect to WiFi motems in the area. However, when I input the command, it says that network manager is already installed and thus that new icon doesn't appear, and needless to say the icon was/is not there from the start.

If it is already installed where is it?
My end goal is to connect to the internet w/o Ethernet.

Help?

EDIT:
I am Using Gnome

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Configuring connection to my home WiFi router

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

M0sk

Cannot see Network Manager

#3 Post by M0sk »

I cannot see network manager and thus cannot connect to WiFi.

I have been told to user Network Manager gnome to connect to WiFi.

However, it is not available to me for some reason

I am part of netdev group, and I have it installed, and I have logged off and back in after joining the group, but it won't become visible.

Help?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Don't start separate threads for the same problem.

Can you run /usr/bin/nm-applet from a terminal?

M0sk

#5 Post by M0sk »

I apologize. I didn't realize that I was asking the same question. Thank you for your support.

I am new to Linux is general and so I am not sure what you mean by run, but I typed the path you gave in the terminal and it seemed to do nothing, but I couldn't use that terminal window anymore, as if it was busy with something else

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Jessie is probably not what you want to be running then.
It's currently at the pointy end of the testing cycle and frustration is guaranteed without some basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
Use wheezy - it just works.

Bulkley

Re: Cannot see Network Manager

#7 Post by Bulkley »

M0sk wrote:I have been told to user Network Manager gnome to connect to WiFi.
Who's telling you? Did he/she not tell you the rest? Network Manager is one option.

This subject has been beaten to death on this forum so a little searching should help.

Have you installed the appropriate firmware for your wifi card ?

Why did you install Testing (Jessie)? Are you sure you are ready for a testing OS?

M0sk

#8 Post by M0sk »

I have spent all day today trying to connect my laptop to the internet, something that would seem painfully easy.

When I say told, I am using the 5 step instructions from https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse

I have done all it says yet I cannot for the life of me connect to my router.

And I am using Jessie because when I went to download a Debian iso, Jessie was suggested. I am ready I do think, I just need to get past this stupid roadblock and move on to learning the rest of it

M0sk

#9 Post by M0sk »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Jessie is probably not what you want to be running then.
It's currently at the pointy end of the testing cycle and frustration is guaranteed without some basic knowledge and troubleshooting skills.
Use wheezy - it just works.
Well then it looks like I took the wrong path, yet it is the one I have so the help you have given, and might give is really appreciated. If the problem cannot be fixed, I will take the several hours to reinstall Debian, but I would really prefer not to do that

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

M0sk wrote:I am ready I do think, I just need to get past this stupid roadblock and move on to learning the rest of it
At the risk of seeming to "pile on," your assessment is quite simply mistaken. By definition, if you have to post in "Beginners' Questions," you aren't ready for Jessie.

And if your goal is to learn how Debian is supposed to work, you will definitely want to learn on Stable (currently named Wheezy).

M0sk

#11 Post by M0sk »

dasein wrote:
M0sk wrote:I am ready I do think, I just need to get past this stupid roadblock and move on to learning the rest of it
At the risk of seeming to "pile on," your assessment is quite simply mistaken. By definition, if you have to post in "Beginners' Questions," you aren't ready for Jessie.

And if your goal is to learn how Debian is supposed to work, you will definitely want to learn on Stable (currently named Wheezy).
I posted this in beginner because it seemed to be a simple problem, that is all. And I can understand that, but reinstalling is not something I want to do, so if this problem is fixed that is all I want

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

M0sk wrote:...if this problem is fixed that is all I want
You're new to Linux, you won't/can't follow instructions in the Wiki, you can't use the CLI, and you can't do basic troubleshooting on your own.

But you're ready to tackle a development release at the single most buggy moment in its life. :roll:

If you had bothered to read the Debian Wiki before choosing to download Jessie, you'd have discovered that it says exactly what everyone in this thread has already told you. Testing is not at all suitable for Linux novices, and folks who choose to run Testing users are expected to be able to do first-cut diagnosis/troubleshooting all by themselves. That is the problem that needs fixing, even if you don't realize it yet.

andre@home

#13 Post by andre@home »

I sometimes get also problems with NetworkManager.
You may have to reinstall that one, soemtimes it solves the problem.
Maybe it is good to look in the config files:
/etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
and the other files that may be used there.

Look also to /etc/resolv.conf and see whats there in.

Restart the network with
/etc/init.d/networking restart
or
service network-manager restart