Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ex-fedora user now

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
billcu

ex-fedora user now

#1 Post by billcu »

Well I am now officially an ex-fedora user. I haven't used debian since sarge and that was little. I am having all kinds of trouble getting packages installed I want installed. rpm showed me what was installed and I had yum in fedora. Now I need to get used to apt-get apt-cache and god only knows what else :(

I want to be able to know what debs are available to download, be able to get specific commands like scrub hexedit od grub2. I am trying to use grub2-mkconfig and it's not there. :cry: What should I begin to do? I'm using a cd installation for amd64 I found under "iso-hybrid". Whatever that means. Help!

stevepusser

Re: ex-fedora user now

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The installer program on the disk will handle grub for you. Just tell it where you want it to go when it asks.

A good, basic GUI for package management is Synaptic. It's not flashy, but will get the job done.

Aptitude or apt-get on the command line will give you more control over packages, though.

You should check out the Debian wiki first, though.
MX Linux packager and developer