Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

broke (some) sound

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
raven017

broke (some) sound

#1 Post by raven017 »

So everything was working correctly (and had been for months) until:

I was playing music in Banshee and switching gnome sound settings from "Logitech Wireless Headset Analog Stereo" to "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" and my finger stuttered a bit on the mouse. As a result I switched back and forth very quickly between the two options a number of times, and the music stopped. Banshee still looks like it's playing, but no sound comes out of the speakers (headset or standard).

What I've tried:

Searching lots, haven't found much that applies.
Removing and reinstalling Banshee via Synaptic (predictably made no difference).
Playing a song in Rhythmbox - same issue as Banshee, looks like its playing on the screen but no sound comes out.
Playing sound through Chrome (youtube videos, google play music) - works.
Playing an MP3s through VLC or Audacity - works.
Using TS3 - works.

So I conclude that I broke something not Banshee specific but not general enough to apply to all MP3 playing or other sound. I am extremely new to tracking down problems in Linux and all I can think of to do is:

1) Remove and reinstall Banshee's dependencies. This looks like it would break lots of stuff, so I didn't do it.
2) Reinstall Debian. This would probably work, but seems like overkill and I would prefer to avoid having to retweak everything again.
3) Ask for help! Any suggestions? Requests for other information that will help identify the problem?

What I have:

Debian stable with some backports
uname -a = Linux debian 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Gnome 3.4.2
Banshee 2.4.1
Rhythmbox 2.97
Chrome Version 38.0.2125.104 (64-bit)
Teamspeak 3 (v3.0.16)
VLC 2.1.2