Debian Minimal Installation

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Debian Minimal Installation

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-23 15:36

Hi:

I want to setup Debian 8 with minimal installation. What I mean by that is;

1. Debian Core (Enough for the system to run and function properly)
2. Gnome-core (none of the extras)
3. Sound support (no sound in deb7 despite installing ALSA and Pulse Audio)
4. Good fonts and rendering (deb7 fonts were small, flaky and fuzzy)

How do I go about achieving this setup?

Thank you in advance.
A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.
Cheddie Merai

Re: Debian Minimal Installation

Postby squeeze » 2015-03-23 15:50

Cheddie Merai wrote:How do I go about achieving this setup?

Reading the debian wikis would help. (and is expected before posting here!)

Minimal netinst amd64 with gnome-core and Subpixel-hinting and Font-smoothing.
“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
squeeze

Postby Bulkley » 2015-03-23 19:13

If you really want minimal then Gnome is probably more than you need. Assuming that you have an older machine with limited resources you would probably be happier with a lighter window manager or XFce.
Bulkley

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-24 00:35

Bulkley wrote:If you really want minimal then Gnome is probably more than you need. Assuming that you have an older machine with limited resources you would probably be happier with a lighter window manager or XFce.

Sorry for not mentioning, but my hardware is most modern. So GNOME3 isn't a problem in regards to resources consumption.
Cheddie Merai

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-24 00:36

squeeze wrote:
Cheddie Merai wrote:How do I go about achieving this setup?

Reading the debian wikis would help. (and is expected before posting here!)

Minimal netinst amd64 with gnome-core and Subpixel-hinting and Font-smoothing.

Thank you. This really helped. Yes, I was just a bit reluctant to RTFM. Thought I wouldn't get it with a search. But I did.
Cheddie Merai

Postby geekosupremo » 2015-03-24 16:30

Good on ya! I've also struggled through the documentation at times, being new to Debian and Linux.

Someone once told me most documentation is like road signs/directions written by people who've been driving the route for years. Technically accurate but sometimes difficult to parse for the new.

The good news is that the more you read and get used to it, the easier it becomes. Also I've found that reading other people's blog posts and such about the topics that I'm looking up in the documentation can shed light on it.

Best of luck!
geekosupremo

Postby oui » 2015-03-25 15:19

Hi

What is the reason of your wish of minimal installation? What is your goal?

I did realize a minimal installation yesterday on the PC of my wife starting from Debian core with the only the "tasksel" option " Standard System Utilities
but not the "Debian destop environment"

I did install from Debian installer ISO I did find http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/? as daily build at 2014.12.27... Is not fresh but is was my last CD rowling :roll: and I will not buy new rowlings again (I find it is a great environmental error to install both from CD and from USB stick: I never use both! To communicate with my different PC's I use the network or dropbox... and USB sticks become older the day you buy them :mrgreen: ! I did buy micro cards for my photo camera and my tablett last year for 20 EURO, 16 GByte. Today the same dealer, a regular dealer, sales micro cards with 64 GB for that money so that I will never more continue to use the litte ones... they will end without to be used into the mountain of trash that are unnecessarily produced in our cities! I is a giant environmental error to force us to use both...

But I did have success with my old CD...

STEP 1:

I did install from CD and did not actualize directly at installations time! It is important if the CD is old: If the CD was correct, and you install only the core base and the utilities/tools from CD, nothing is different between that time and now... Debian did reinstall Grub (was already present from my other distro).

The need of Hard Disk room was 0,7 GB

STEP 2:

After restart as root, I did complete in /etc/apt/sources-list with the entries of my country:

Code: Select all
#
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Jessie_ - Official Snapshot i386 CD Binary-1 20141222-04:54]/ jessie main

deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ sid main
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ sid contrib
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/ sid non-free

deb http://security.debian.org/ sid/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ sid/updates main

# jessie-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
# A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main
# deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main

# jessie-backports, previously on backports.debian.org
# A network mirror was not selected during install.  The following entries
# are provided as examples, but you should amend them as appropriate
# for your mirror of choice.
#
# deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main
# deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main

above listing is for SID, excuse me, it cames from MY PC, not the PC of my wife, where jessie is installed! on my PC I have SID (and for SID, there is an error: SID has NO security depositories, in SID you have to test yourself from regular time to time what did change using " aptitude update" and "aptitude upgrade"!

and jessie as to be written where SID is indicated if you want jessie, the actual testing/new stable version

STEP 3:

and make immediately

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

Before "upgrade" did start, aptitude did inform me that there are different "recommanded" packages that will not be installed! It would be a good idea to save that list!

For that, answer "n" for NO... and now

in commando line:

$ aptitude upgrade > recommanded-pckgs.txt

you see nothing now: aptitude did repeat the command but did send it's message to the standard I/O and pipe " recommanded-pckgs.txt"! You will find the list of the recommanded packages in that document.

Answer " n" after a short time (no message on the screen: the message is recorded in " recommanded-pckgs.txt"!) and repeat the command without pipe:

$ aptitude upgrade

Now, you have the list of recommanded packages you did not install :idea: !

The need of Hard Disk room was 0,994 GB (today, in my case for the SID core!)

-In SID, actually, Debian did update 158 packages for the time between now and the end of 2014!-

and restart again

STEP 4:

and login again as root.

then I did install a lot of non graphic app's, enough to are able to work entirely in console mode if needed.

To do that very confortable, as I know now the existence of that forum thread, I use my computer to help me, what else! I begin my personal installation with following 2 first packages:

aptitude install gpm  links

The first one give you immediately mouse ability ( :!: ) what you immediately can use in the links browser :wink:

links https://encrypted.google.com

You can now
- seach this thread in google (search "debian users forum" for ex. this forum was the first own found by google!),
- open the forum,
- find the thread
- this point in the thread and
- MARK (only mark in the browser!) following command

STEP 5:

aptitude install alsa-utils alpine clex cups-driver-gutenprint ispell ibritish ifrench ingerman mc sc spell vim wcalc wordgrinder

aptitude remove nano

using both at the same time, mouse left key and Shift!

And, now open an other character mode (char mode) console (different as in IBM-DOS and MS-Windows, Unix systeme have MORE than ONE unique console :mrgreen: !), entering:

Ctrl+Alt+F2

Now you can copy above already marked (in the console F1) command line into the console F2 only pressing on the middle mouse key (or wheel: the wheel also has a full key function!)!

The line
$ aptitude install alsa-utils alpine clex cups-driver-gutenprint ispell ibritish ifrench ingerman mc sc spell vim wcalc wordgrinder
appears now in the console F2 and you can start it as usual hitting onto the key " enter" :idea: . With all precedent new packages,
, you can email, surf in the tree of directories, write texts or spreadsheets and print out with cups, calculate and more!

That installation needs now about 1,15 GByte (in SID) at this stage of installation.[/color]

And I did continue with the graphic system:

STEP 6:

aptitude install xorg leafpad menu 9menu ratpoison rox-filer sudo # <- there were an error in my first message: leaFpad and not leapad, sorry  :roll: . You can erase that from the "#" to line end!

ln -s /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/go

xinit

it is the base. ratpoison is a funny window manager. he needs no mouse as the name invoque :wink: and is a good session manager if both menu and 9menu are present... rox is a file manager but also a very special window manager if you will (performances remember those from twm, the standard WM from xorg...)

with xinit, the graphic system starts once and your first graphic mode console is open.

STEP 7:

As you are loged in as root you can complete /etc/sudoers to give you as user sudo rights. enter in the console

vim /etc/sudoers
or
leafpad /etc/sudoers

and write the same line as for root after the first line for root but entering your user name at the place where you see the entry for root. I did made it using Vim. Vim was reticent to overwrite this document! I did have to use the security end / force code:

:x!

before reboot (you can also start cups in the browser links and invoque the url http://localhost:631 ; you have to be root to do that and loggin in cups as "root" not as user to install your printer! You also can open alsplayer once and turn on all chanels you need and set the volume levels).

The need of Hard Disk room was 1,38 GB

YOUR MOST MINIMAL INSTALLATION OF YOUR BASIC GRAPHIC SYSTEM IS NOW FINISHED!

xorg did install xcal (calculator) and divers little app's, you did install leafpad (editor) and rox (file and directory manager as well as potential window manager if you want, experiment please), but all the major other app's are yet CONSOLE MODE APP's. In ratpoison, you can split the screen in little tiles and use each of them for a separate "terminal emulator" and start in each a different console mode application present all at the same time, and copy / interchange parts of them with drag and drop with the mouse without to have to change the console with Ctrl+Alt+Fx! It is yet very more comfortable! And now can "links" our little browser start in graphic mode and show pictures (news papers etc.): see pls the man page to see how to do that!

(How to use a man page:

$ man links

very easy! but we will install gman at the next step because it is a graphical frontend for man and a lot yet more easy to use for beginners!)

Save leafpad (above, we did set up the sudoers) and close it, exit the graphic system and reboot with

exit
reboot

NEW ADVENTURE:

enter

go

and enter, ratpoison appear with a very short info at the right top corner of the screen informing you to enter

Ctrl-T

for ratpoison menu

or

Ctrl-T
?

for ratpoison user help.

You have now a very minimal operable system able to open a lot of ratpoison windows (ratpoison begin with fullscreen and you can split it vertically or horizontally. after that you can do the same with those two windows. after that you can continue to split or you also can concatenate to windows (so 3/4 + 1/4 of the initial screen), for example once open as konsole for the multilinguage browser links (the 3/4 one) and the last for clex (1/4) as you can start console applications within clex :idea: ...

Or continue to install more to get a really comfortable minimal graphic system:

New list (new app's entered: vim-athena, didiwiki). This will download ab. 140 MB and install ab. 430 MB more!
aptitude install jwm xfce4-appfinder chrony wmshutdown xombrero vim-athena didiwiki evince grun gman gparted gvim mgp xsane gocr mplayer mtpaint synaptic

with your already pre installed console applications (it is a good base for a minimal office) you have now a good minimal equipment for a lot of fonctions. using synaptic, you can easily look for more. if you will preserve the minimal character of your system, I would only search with synaptic but really install with aptitude :wink: as aptitude shows you directly how much dependencies and which download packed and later installed you add...

you will have now to search for icons in /usr/share

and think about if you want install some non-free software (flashplugin, jre-java8, skype) or the free tentative to do without

I will copy my /etc/jwm/system-jwmrc for you in a next message (I have to change the PC) as it is a good start base to use a confortable minimalist installation. I did put into /usr/share/backgrounds divers beautiful possible background images... next job will be to feed the rox directory /home/YOURuser/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ with mime and links but rox will help you itself as soon you will send a doc to one application: follow the instructions!

at you next start, you can choice one of both

- use ratpoison as window manager
or
- use ratpoison only as session manager
and select the option "Window managers" in its menu
and JWM

The login sequence would be so:

username
password
go
Ctrl-T
up
down
enter

It is a lot more fast as KDM + KDE and looks about as good :idea:

and reboot time is magic really!

Good luck.

Notes:
1) to start didiwiki: try in the browser, xombrero, the secure browser, a frontend from webkit, to use the didiwiki start command in the url line:
http;//localhost:8000
. if no success, try to start didiwiki one time in a console with the command

$ didiwiki

2) a start point, the tray is not complete because debian install categories of icons not beeing standardized (it is a great error in my opinion!). please look in JWMRC which one are not present in the line :mrgreen: and fish yourself the icones you like and write in the line where they are wrong a better icone path!

3) if you use intensively synaptic you will increase and increase very fast your system so that it will become very fat! you can prevent a bit this terrible evolution using preselections filters NO RECOMMAND / NO SUGGEST. for example in the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90recommand-suggest (not present after the installation! you have to create it yourself! and it can disturb you as ALL recommdand / suggest will be forgotten since it is created by you!). Please use INTENSIVELLY "gman" for all, Ctrl-T+? for ratpoison, ESC and last tab for links

4) exit from JWM with exit (bottom line in the Debian Menu) and reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del :wink:

Last edited by oui on 2015-03-26 22:23, edited 15 times in total.
oui

Postby oui » 2015-03-25 15:26

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<!-- The root menu, if this is undefined you will not get a menu. -->
<!-- Additional RootMenu attributes: onroot, labeled, label -->
<RootMenu height="15" onroot="12">

<Program icon="evince.xpm" label="evince">evince</Program>
<Program icon="mtpaint.png" label="mTpaint">mtpaint</Program>
<Program icon="/usr/share/rox/images/application.png" label="rox">rox</Program>
<Program icon="viewnior.xpm" label="viewnior">viewnior</Program>
<Program icon="vim-32.xpm" label="gvim">gvim</Program>
<Program icon="xombrero.xpm" label="xombrero">xombrero</Program>
<Program icon="xterm_48x48.xpm" label="Terminal">x-terminal-emulator</Program>

<Include>/etc/jwm/debian-menu</Include>

<Separator/>
<Program icon="lock.png" label="Lock">
xscreensaver-command -activate
</Program>
<Separator/>
<Restart label="Restart" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/system-shutdown.png"/>
<Exit label="Exit" confirm="true" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kshutdown.png"/>
</RootMenu>

<Group>
<Class>Pidgin</Class>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>gkrellm</Name>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>xterm</Name>
<Option>vmax</Option>
<Option>icon:terminal.png</Option>
</Group>

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
<Tray x="0" y="-1" height="32" autohide="false">

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
<TrayButton label="menu">root:1</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="appfinder" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xfce4-appfinder.xpm">exec:xfce4-appfinder</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="snapshot" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/xscreensaver.png">exec:xwd | xwud</TrayButton>
<TrayButton label="_">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attribute: labeled -->
<Pager labeled="true"/>

<TaskList maxwidth="256"/>
<TrayButton popup="Xombrero" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xombrero.xpm">exec:xombrero</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="programmstart" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/grun.xpm">exec:grun</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Shutdown" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kshutdown.png">exec:/usr/lib/jwm/jwm-poweroff.sh</TrayButton>
<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
<Swallow name="xload" width="64">
xload -nolabel -bg black -fg red -hl white
</Swallow>

<Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>

</Tray>

<!-- Visual Styles -->

<WindowStyle>

<Font>-*-fixed-*-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*</Font>
<Width>4</Width>
<Height>20</Height>

<Active>
<Text>white</Text>
<Title>gray30:gray60</Title>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Opacity>1.0</Opacity>
</Active>

<Inactive>
<Text>#aaaaaa</Text>
<Title>#808488:#303438</Title>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Opacity>0.5:0.9:0.1</Opacity>
</Inactive>

</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
<ActiveForeground>black</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>gray80:gray90</ActiveBackground>
<Foreground>black</Foreground>
<Background>gray90:gray80</Background>
</TaskListStyle>

<!-- Additional TrayStyle attribute: insert -->
<TrayStyle>
<Background>gray90</Background>
<Opacity>0.75</Opacity>
</TrayStyle>

<PagerStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Foreground>gray90</Foreground>
<Background>#808488</Background>
<ActiveForeground>#70849d</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
<ActiveForeground>white</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#70849d:#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
<Opacity>0.85</Opacity>
</MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Background>yellow</Background>
</PopupStyle>

<IconPath>
/usr/share/pixmaps
</IconPath>

<!-- Virtual Desktops -->
<!-- Desktop tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names. -->
<Desktops width="4" height="2">
</Desktops>

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
<DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>

<!-- Double click delta (in pixels) -->
<DoubleClickDelta>2</DoubleClickDelta>

<!-- The focus model (sloppy or click) -->
<FocusModel>sloppy</FocusModel>

<!-- The snap mode (none, screen, or border) -->
<SnapMode distance="10">border</SnapMode>

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode>opaque</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode>opaque</ResizeMode>

<StartupCommand>
xli -onroot -fullscreen /usr/share/backgrounds/Leonardo_da_Vinci.jpg
</StartupCommand>

<!-- Key bindings -->
<Key key="Up">up</Key>
<Key key="Down">down</Key>
<Key key="Right">right</Key>
<Key key="Left">left</Key>
<Key key="h">left</Key>
<Key key="j">down</Key>
<Key key="k">up</Key>
<Key key="l">right</Key>
<Key key="Return">select</Key>
<Key key="Escape">escape</Key>

<Key mask="A" key="Tab">next</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F4">close</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="#">desktop#</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F1">root:1</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F2">window</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F10">maximize</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Right">rdesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Left">ldesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Up">udesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Down">ddesktop</Key>

</JWM>
oui

Postby oui » 2015-03-25 15:34

The kshutdown icone is imported from Kubuntu... Copy your initial system-jwmrc before you change something! or install a local .jwmrc in the user home! Theoretically is somewhat like xli already pre-installed in jwm but after long tentative, it was not possible to start with the background picture... so I did install xli and mount the picture in system-jwmrc. you can also use "setxkbmap us_intl" to set you keyboard or "xrandr -o left" to turn the screen 90 degrees etc in jwmrc in the start options (see near the bottom of the file). mgp is a really pretty presentation but a science! look in the old litterature :mrgreen: ! visit gman ! you will see all the app's needing a manual an discover so that they are build in an how they work. as that all is very minimal and wman classify the manuals it not to much and relatively easy, more easy as in a full gnome or kde installation!

good work
oui

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-26 04:15

oui wrote:Hi

What is the reason of your wish of minimal installation? What is your goal?

I did realize a minimal installation yesterday on the PC of my wife starting from Debian core with the tasksel option somewhat like "Debian utilities" or "tools" (is not in tasksel any more now both in the minimal install and in my own big install) but not "Debian destop environment"

Gut luck.

Wow! This is it. Really minimal and to the point. Thanks for this. I never knew it was possible to print from the terminal.
Cheddie Merai

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-26 04:16

oui wrote:<?xml version="1.0"?>

<JWM>

<!-- The root menu, if this is undefined you will not get a menu. -->
<!-- Additional RootMenu attributes: onroot, labeled, label -->
<RootMenu height="15" onroot="12">

<Program icon="evince.xpm" label="evince">evince</Program>
<Program icon="mtpaint.png" label="mTpaint">mtpaint</Program>
<Program icon="/usr/share/rox/images/application.png" label="rox">rox</Program>
<Program icon="viewnior.xpm" label="viewnior">viewnior</Program>
<Program icon="vim-32.xpm" label="gvim">gvim</Program>
<Program icon="xombrero.xpm" label="xombrero">xombrero</Program>
<Program icon="xterm_48x48.xpm" label="Terminal">x-terminal-emulator</Program>

<Include>/etc/jwm/debian-menu</Include>

<Separator/>
<Program icon="lock.png" label="Lock">
xscreensaver-command -activate
</Program>
<Separator/>
<Restart label="Restart" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/actions/system-shutdown.png"/>
<Exit label="Exit" confirm="true" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kshutdown.png"/>
</RootMenu>

<Group>
<Class>Pidgin</Class>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>gkrellm</Name>
<Option>nolist</Option>
<Option>sticky</Option>
</Group>

<Group>
<Name>xterm</Name>
<Option>vmax</Option>
<Option>icon:terminal.png</Option>
</Group>

<!-- Additional tray attributes: autohide, width, border, layer, layout -->
<Tray x="0" y="-1" height="32" autohide="false">

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
<TrayButton label="menu">root:1</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="appfinder" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xfce4-appfinder.xpm">exec:xfce4-appfinder</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="snapshot" icon="/usr/share/icons/gnome/16x16/apps/xscreensaver.png">exec:xwd | xwud</TrayButton>
<TrayButton label="_">showdesktop</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attribute: labeled -->
<Pager labeled="true"/>

<TaskList maxwidth="256"/>
<TrayButton popup="Xombrero" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xombrero.xpm">exec:xombrero</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="programmstart" icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/grun.xpm">exec:grun</TrayButton>
<TrayButton popup="Shutdown" icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/kshutdown.png">exec:/usr/lib/jwm/jwm-poweroff.sh</TrayButton>
<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->
<Swallow name="xload" width="64">
xload -nolabel -bg black -fg red -hl white
</Swallow>

<Clock format="%H:%M">xclock</Clock>

</Tray>

<!-- Visual Styles -->

<WindowStyle>

<Width>4</Width>
<Height>20</Height>

<Active>
<Text>white</Text>
<Title>gray30:gray60</Title>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Opacity>1.0</Opacity>
</Active>

<Inactive>
<Text>#aaaaaa</Text>
<Title>#808488:#303438</Title>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Opacity>0.5:0.9:0.1</Opacity>
</Inactive>

</WindowStyle>

<TaskListStyle>
<ActiveForeground>black</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>gray80:gray90</ActiveBackground>
<Background>gray90:gray80</Background>
</TaskListStyle>

<!-- Additional TrayStyle attribute: insert -->
<TrayStyle>
<Opacity>0.75</Opacity>
</TrayStyle>

<PagerStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Foreground>gray90</Foreground>
<Background>#808488</Background>
<ActiveForeground>#70849d</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
</PagerStyle>

<MenuStyle>
<ActiveForeground>white</ActiveForeground>
<ActiveBackground>#70849d:#2e3a67</ActiveBackground>
<Opacity>0.85</Opacity>
</MenuStyle>

<PopupStyle>
<Outline>black</Outline>
<Background>yellow</Background>
</PopupStyle>

<IconPath>
/usr/share/pixmaps
</IconPath>

<!-- Virtual Desktops -->
<!-- Desktop tags can be contained within Desktops for desktop names. -->
<Desktops width="4" height="2">
</Desktops>

<!-- Double click speed (in milliseconds) -->
<DoubleClickSpeed>400</DoubleClickSpeed>

<!-- Double click delta (in pixels) -->
<DoubleClickDelta>2</DoubleClickDelta>

<!-- The focus model (sloppy or click) -->
<FocusModel>sloppy</FocusModel>

<!-- The snap mode (none, screen, or border) -->
<SnapMode distance="10">border</SnapMode>

<!-- The move mode (outline or opaque) -->
<MoveMode>opaque</MoveMode>

<!-- The resize mode (outline or opaque) -->
<ResizeMode>opaque</ResizeMode>

<StartupCommand>
xli -onroot -fullscreen /usr/share/backgrounds/Leonardo_da_Vinci.jpg
</StartupCommand>

<!-- Key bindings -->
<Key key="Up">up</Key>
<Key key="Down">down</Key>
<Key key="Right">right</Key>
<Key key="Left">left</Key>
<Key key="h">left</Key>
<Key key="j">down</Key>
<Key key="k">up</Key>
<Key key="l">right</Key>
<Key key="Return">select</Key>
<Key key="Escape">escape</Key>

<Key mask="A" key="Tab">next</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F4">close</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="#">desktop#</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F1">root:1</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F2">window</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="F10">maximize</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Right">rdesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Left">ldesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Up">udesktop</Key>
<Key mask="A" key="Down">ddesktop</Key>

</JWM>

Where is this placed?
Cheddie Merai

Postby oui » 2015-03-26 19:51

Hi

There are 2 places:

- the General Jwmrc is, in Debian, in /etc/jwm and it have the name system.jwmrc (also /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc)

- the user's own .jwmrc in his personal home (also /home/xyz/.jwmrc)

In the first case ALL users get that general jwmrc and in the second only the user "xyz" and he has the right to modify himself this file (root:root is the owner of the first one. xyz:xyz is the owner of the second type!)

Cheddie I did remake the same installation on MY PC today (not in Jessie, but in experimental SID) and did discover writting errors, I am sorry... I will amend
in that blue color
above texts in the next hours / days.

Kind regards
oui

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-27 16:03

oui wrote:Hi

There are 2 places:

- the General Jwmrc is, in Debian, in /etc/jwm and it have the name system.jwmrc (also /etc/jwm/system.jwmrc)

- the user's own .jwmrc in his personal home (also /home/xyz/.jwmrc)

In the first case ALL users get that general jwmrc and in the second only the user "xyz" and he has the right to modify himself this file (root:root is the owner of the first one. xyz:xyz is the owner of the second type!)

Cheddie I did remake the same installation on MY PC today (not in Jessie, but in experimental SID) and did discover writting errors, I am sorry... I will amend
in that blue color
above texts in the next hours / days.

Kind regards

Thank you for this in-depth explanation of the installation process. Looking back, I realize I didn't address your first question.

What is the reason of your wish for minimal installation? What is your goal?

The first goal of my minimal installation is to build a system with the right components to run efficiently. Then, I plan on installing the necessary other components to appeal to my ultimate goal of building a development Lab for Websites, Desktop and Android Apps development.

My third goal: I love visual's and I am looking for a system which looks Amazingly beautiful. It's like the most modern cars. Specifically beautifully design accompanied by jaw-dropping performance.

This is the system I want to build. It's more performance than beauty though. However, nothing is impossible with Linux (Debian).
Cheddie Merai

Postby mardybear » 2015-03-27 17:08

Cheddie Merai wrote:
The first goal of my minimal installation is to build a system with the right components to run efficiently.

Minimal installations are admiral, highly recommended. Gnome3 is a heavy desktop environment, so your definition of efficient is different than mine. All comes down to hardware and resources.

You may find this old thread informative, especially the external link on the first post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120366
Then, I plan on installing the necessary other components to appeal to my ultimate goal of building a development Lab for Websites, Desktop and Android Apps development.

Don't work in this area, Debian likely has all or most of the packages you require to accomplish your work.
My third goal: I love visual's and I am looking for a system which looks Amazingly beautiful. It's like the most modern cars. Specifically beautifully design accompanied by jaw-dropping performance.

This is the system I want to build. It's more performance than beauty though.

Amazing beauty, which is subjective, can be achieved with most window managers or desktop environments. Your system so you can set it up however you wish. However, as you indicated performance trumps beauty, then you may want to re-assess your desktop environment/window manager choice.
However, nothing is impossible with Linux (Debian).

Unfortunately everything has limitatons, including Debian and your hardware.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.
mardybear

Postby Cheddie Merai » 2015-03-27 21:58

mardybear wrote:
Cheddie Merai wrote:
The first goal of my minimal installation is to build a system with the right components to run efficiently.

Minimal installations are admiral, highly recommended. Gnome3 is a heavy desktop environment, so your definition of efficient is different than mine. All comes down to hardware and resources.

You may find this old thread informative, especially the external link on the first post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=120366
Then, I plan on installing the necessary other components to appeal to my ultimate goal of building a development Lab for Websites, Desktop and Android Apps development.

Don't work in this area, Debian likely has all or most of the packages you require to accomplish your work.

This is the system I want to build. It's more performance than beauty though.

Amazing beauty, which is subjective, can be achieved with most window managers or desktop environments. Your system so you can set it up however you wish. However, as you indicated performance trumps beauty, then you may want to re-assess your desktop environment/window manager choice.
However, nothing is impossible with Linux (Debian).

Unfortunately everything has limitatons, including Debian and your hardware.

I understand the point you're bringing across. From what I can see from analyzing the comments made in this post, is that, the most concerned topic is GNOME3 is "heavy." Sure, on old hardware. That's not my case, as I have deliberately included my PC specs above.

In your opinion, what is the best, fully featured, most customizable DE/WM?

Update: To me, to do a minimal installation with gnome, the gnome shell needs to be installed instead of gnome-core. I did it and its VERY minimal. Everything you have to install on your own.
Cheddie Merai

Next

Return to Beginners Questions