Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Synaptic

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kringga

Synaptic

#1 Post by kringga »

I just want to know, when you download a package from synaptic and You dont see the icon for clamAV or whatever where is it saved? :?:

v&n

Re: Synaptic

#3 Post by v&n »

Downloaded packages are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives directory, and files installed from the package(s).... well... depends on package.

If a package has been installed using synaptic, you can find paths of all the files it installed from Synaptic's 'property' menu : Click the package (in synaptic) > Properties > "Installed Files" tab.

The executable files of clamAV (actually clamtk here) are installed in "/usr/bin" and "/usr/bin/X11" directories by the way.

Additional Tip:
You can actually open a .deb file with your Archive Manager program, and simply observe the directory structure in it. The same places will be where a .deb package installs the files, EXCEPT the "DEBIAN" directory in it which only contains configuration files/scripts (which may optionally create additional files).

EDIT:
Beaten by dasein, but as they say, "won't let the electrons go to waste" :p

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

kringga wrote:I just want to know, when you download a package from synaptic and You dont see the icon for clamAV or whatever where is it saved? :?:
What package did you download ? Did it make your clamAV disappear ?
or
If it was clamAV that you installed, you also need this "clamTk"
ClamTk is a GUI front-end for ClamAV using perl-Gtk2.

You can install it with "synaptic package manager" or simply

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install clamtk
Clamav by itself needs to be run from the commandline. There are a LOT of threads on this,
and also as suggested in the previous post, you can use "google" to get more info on clamav.
When you install clamtk, there still is no Icon for clamav, the icon is for ClamTk.
Edited:
also you can start it this way: simply type in "clamtk" at the prompt, (do not include the :~$)

Code: Select all

:~$ clamtk 

esp7

#5 Post by esp7 »

v&n wrote:Beaten by dasein, but as they say, "won't let the electrons go to waste" :p

dasein, still wondering what the guy is doing on this forum. besides bitching over and over again and refering topic starters to google he has not added any value at all on this forum. each topic I open, the guy shows up in the first 5 replies and always same boring and repetitive annoying responses. could someone please inform him about the purpose of a discussion forum or simply help him starting to have a life? why is he feeling the need to show up in each topic if it pisses him off each time over and over again?? +5000 posts and I wonder if some actually helped people....

/me apologizes for ranting but I had to vent my feeling
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned