Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Gparted for MB RAID

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rayj

Gparted for MB RAID

#1 Post by rayj »

I would like to make a boot RAID0 LVM on a pair of SSDs (sdc and sdd). The system is already running off of a HDD. I built the RAID0 through the Asus BIOS on the Intel controller. I see:
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid0]
md124 : active raid0 sdc[1] sdd[0]
59346944 blocks super external:/md126/0 32k chunks

md125 : active raid0 sda[1] sdb[0]
222715904 blocks super external:/md127/0 32k chunks

md126 : inactive sdc[1](S) sdd[0](S)
6306 blocks super external:imsm

md127 : inactive sdb[1](S) sda[0](S)
6306 blocks super external:imsm

My challenge is that when I open Gparted, it only show one disk at a time. I would like to learn how to use Gparted to partition this RAID0 with a UEFI sector and LVM for the rest.

Please suggest how I may get this started.

rayj

Re: Gparted for MB RAID

#2 Post by rayj »

I found that GParted does not presistently present a list of all devices, but produces a dropdown list of all of them which allows for a selection of one. This was a lesson in patience: Look at what is presented and understand it. While command help describes how to use a function, it does not describe the meaing.

Specificly: mdxx is the RAID, the sdxx and sdxy are the devices in the RAID.

While it was presented plainly from mdstat, I did not understand that dmxxx represented the individual arrays.
https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mdstat Two lessons in one:
This page describes the meaning of the mdstat output, and the meaning of mdxxx, 'multiple device' - the array.

This site also provides a FAQ which brings into question the viability of using the motherboard based RAID. Mostly, there is no garauntee the RAID can be readable from anyother controller. This is one reason I am here now. My MSI BB motherboard melted, they did not have a replacement 2 years later. So I bought an Asus. If I had used the MSI RAID, I may have also lost the data on it if the Asus could not read it. I still need to consider the ramifications before making that choice. This RAID will hold the OS and data which is backed up elsewhere. But that is for another thread.

But I will experiment. I will remove the RAID via the MB BIOS and build it in the kernal and see if other issues are resolved.

millpond

Re: Gparted for MB RAID

#3 Post by millpond »

Good idea. Make sure to install mdadm.