[Solved] Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

[Solved] Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

Postby bertenvdb » 2015-10-13 19:20

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Gnu/Linux. Been using Debian Wheezy/Jessie, Crunchbang and BunsenLabs for about 2.5 years now.I was wondering why gnuzilla or icecat aren't available to install using repositories?

Not being able to install Gnuzilla or it's components through aptitude or apt seems a bit strange. Obviously, I like to keep packages such as these up-to-date for security reasons but having to regularly check this manually, this seems so big a hassle to do without apt.

What am I missing here?
Last edited by bertenvdb on 2015-10-14 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
bertenvdb

Re: Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

Postby cronoik » 2015-10-13 19:50

You aren't missing anything. Nobody has packaged icecat or gnuzilla for Debian and therefore it isn't in the officialy repositories. As far as I know there is also no third party repository which you can use with apt. It looks like debianites are happy with Iceweasel and Icedove. :)
Have a nice day!
cronoik

Postby pcalvert » 2015-10-13 20:08

The full GNUzilla is not actively updated. The last release of full GNUzilla was 24.0, on October 16, 2013. "The current focus is on GNU IceCat, our browser derived from Mozilla Firefox."

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnuzilla

I recommend using SeaMonkey instead of GNUzilla.

Phil
pcalvert

Postby bertenvdb » 2015-10-14 02:06

That makes sense.

I've been using Iceweasel and Icedove since I've switched to Linux and am very happy with them.

Why I asked this:
I'm a network guy and knew Linux was out there but never really saw a reason to use something other than Windows. Until one day I stumbled upon the GNU Manifest... The next morning I woke up and just needed to finally try out Linux and it changed my (computer) life :D Obviously, after having switched to Linux I've discovered so much more reasons to never look back.
But my primary reason, being the GNU manifest, is still something I believe in. That's why I just wanted to try GNUzilla. But Iceweasel and Icedove is 'GNU enough' for me :wink: I've used Seamonkey for a short while and thought it was OK but for reason ended up using IW/ID again.

I guess I could have done my homework a little better and find this out myself. Thank you for the clear answers.
bertenvdb

Re: [Solved] Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

Postby theltalpha » 2015-12-28 12:35

Anyway, this is still no explanation why nobody thought about making packages for IceCat on Debian. There are still reasons why this would be helpful, be it because Iceweasel is still not "GNU enough" for some, be it because IceCat incorporates more security improvements than Iceweasel. I myself would love to see IcaCat being included in the official Debian repositories, since I ran into compilation difficulties recently (see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126312).
theltalpha

Postby FuzzyToothpaste » 2016-01-02 02:31

I think that having GNUzilla would be a great idea. It would be nice to use a browser that comes with LibreJS and other protections. And by the way, GNUzilla and IceCat are still being maintained. They just came out with version 38.5.2 (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.5.2/).
FuzzyToothpaste

Postby pcalvert » 2016-01-02 22:58

FuzzyToothpaste wrote:And by the way, GNUzilla and IceCat are still being maintained. They just came out with version 38.5.2 (http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gnuzilla/38.5.2/).

I briefly thought the same thing -- until I looked a little closer. Look at the names of the files at that link you posted. It appears to me that that the gnuzilla "directory" is probably just a symbolic link to the icecat directory. It looks like only Icecat is still being maintained.

Phil
pcalvert

Postby theltalpha » 2016-01-05 11:41

Yes, actually it is only IceCat which is being maintained, so the question is why isn't IceCat in Debian repositories?
theltalpha

Postby HuangLao » 2016-01-06 01:07

competition for iceweasel perhaps?
HuangLao

Postby thanatos_incarnate » 2016-01-06 09:01

Why would it be included? It's Iceweasel with a different branding and a few extras
which you can just as well install on your own.

Wikipedia article on IceCat wrote:Additional security features

IceCat includes additional security features, such as the option to block third party zero-length image files resulting in third party cookie, also known as web bugs[8] (This feature is available in Firefox 1.0, 1.5, and 3.0, but the UI option was absent on 2.0).[8] GNU IceCat also provides warnings for URL redirection.[8]

In version 3.0.2-g1, the certificate of CAcert.org, a certificate authority, has been added to the list of trusted root certificates. Concern[according to whom?] about that decision has been raised in a discussion on the savannah-hackers-public mailing list.[19]

The GNU LibreJS extension detects and blocks nonfree nontrivial JavaScript.
thanatos_incarnate

Postby L_V » 2017-10-12 12:37

If it can help:

How to install IceCat GNUzilla browser in Debian distro ?
http://www.thegeeky.space/2016/05/how-t ... istro.html
L_V

Postby stevepusser » 2017-10-12 19:42

L_V wrote:If it can help:

Great, another random blog that thinks Ubuntu and Debian are the same thing and the repos are interchangeable.

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Just search for "how to install icecat" on this forum, and you will find a thread within the first two results that has the answer.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Postby L_V » 2017-10-12 20:09

The request is not "how to install Icecat" but looking for an Icecat Debian repository.
Of course Icecat can be installed without any repositories, like Firefox.
L_V

Postby RU55EL » 2017-10-12 20:26

L_V wrote:If it can help:

This link points to an article called: "How to install IceCat GNUzilla browser in Ubuntu and other Debian distro."

Anyone reading it, in the context of the Debian operating system, should also read the link posted by Stevepusser: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

L_V wrote:The request is not "how to install Icecat" but looking for an Icecat Debian repository.

The link you posted implies installation.
RU55EL

Postby stevepusser » 2017-10-13 21:11

L_V wrote:The request is not "how to install Icecat" but looking for an Icecat Debian repository.

If you had searched these forums like I suggested, the second result is a thread that has the instructions to add a Debian Icecat repo maintained on the openSUSE Build Service by yrs truly. The OBS will be having a planned outage this weekend....seems that they are down right now, too.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Next

Return to Beginners Questions