Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
stevepusser

Re: [Solved] Why isn't Gnuzilla in Debian repositories

#31 Post by stevepusser »

Where is this "Debian PPA Launchpad" to be found so I can use it?
MX Linux packager and developer

Head_on_a_Stick

#32 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

stevepusser

#33 Post by stevepusser »

Doesn't look like it's working:
Architectures and builds for Stretch

Stretch has no architectures managed in Launchpad.
If it was working, why don't we see one single PPA that also supports Debian as well as Ubuntu, like we can in the OBS?
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#34 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:If it was working, why don't we see one single PPA that also supports Debian as well as Ubuntu, like we can in the OBS?
maybe someone just has to start using it?

L_V

#35 Post by L_V »

It is clear that if "nobody" is using Debian launchpad , the first key question is to clarify why.

Work in progress. Even better said by Debian project leader than by myself concerning coordination of external contributions.
October 16, 2017
Debian Project Leader Chris Lamb on Coordinating a Worldwide Team of Contributors Plus the Perks to Using the Free, Open Operating System

“When you install something, you’re compiling this source code and trusting that someone has been through it with a fine-tooth comb, not modified it, and distributed it in a sane and safe way,” Chris said.
There’s this chain of trust that’s missing.

Debian should definitively provide clear guidelines to contributors, and facilitate easy overview of what is available "outside", and track what to improve.
Guidelines could be:
* Develop, promote and publish your software.
* Encourage contributions to your project.
* Improve collaboration with other projects and developers.
* Build communities using teams and mailing lists.
* avoid as much a possible wasted time with redundancies
* etc.

A Debian code of conduct should also have to be accepted by contributors.

debiman

#36 Post by debiman »

there's some interesting stuff.
at first glance it seems to me that this chris lamb would like to make it easier to integrate new packages into debian with its stable policy, yet is concerned of the dangers and pollution something like ppa would be adding.
it seems that https://reproducible-builds.org/ is an attempt at finding a solution for these seemingly opposing approaches.

there is no mention of "code of conduct" anywhere and i wish you'd stop mentioning it; it's one of the biggest pretentious pieces of BS that ever came out of canonicals arse.
its main purpose is to make people feel good about working for free for a corporation, and create an image of a loving community to cover up the not-so rosy facts.
it just doesn't work that way.
debian did well without one for over 2 decades - and see what ubuntu was made from, and continues to draw from!

the rest of your "manifesto", i'm sorry to say, comes over as arrogant and misinformed.
please look around and research what works in debian, and how, and think twice before offering advice.

L_V

#37 Post by L_V »

@debiman
You should not be so focused on terminology which does not fit you personally.
Current target is to improve "the global chain of trust" with Debian contributors.
To achieve this, a set of basic rules or guidelines or code of conduct, call it as you want, needs to be communicated and shared with contributors.
I know you won't accept the word "rule", but translate it as you want.
Debian is perfect. Let's make it better.

debiman

#38 Post by debiman »

L_V wrote:@debiman
You should not be so focused on terminology which does not fit you personally.
Current target is to improve "the global chain of trust" with Debian contributors.
To achieve this, a set of basic rules or guidelines or code of conduct, call it as you want, needs to be communicated and shared with contributors.
I know you won't accept the word "rule", but translate it as you want.
Debian is perfect. Let's make it better.
erm.
ubuntu's "code of conduct" is an existing piece of writing, no matter what terminology i personally use.
i was refering to the content of that, as did you a few posts up:
L_V wrote:The right place for Ubuntu Personal packages is Lanchpad: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu , where packagers have accepted a Code of Conduct .
[ and onwards with the explanation why debian needs something like that ]
like i said, i think the only purpose of that is to "make people feel good about working for free for a corporation, and create an image of a loving community to cover up the not-so rosy facts".

simply including some lines about how good we all are and how we all want to work for the greater good is not enough to create a "chain of trust" (whatever that may be).
and if you didn't actually mean ubuntu's code of conduct, stop refering to it.
whatever.