Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Unable to boot Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
napoletano

Unable to boot Debian

#1 Post by napoletano »

Hello, I am brand new to Debian, but not to Linux (8 years as an Ubuntu user), and therefore probably qualify as a beginner. I am having two problems with Debian at the moment that may or may not be related. I will state the problems first, and then describe the system I'm using. The problems are:

1) If I boot using secure boot and UEFI, I end up in grub with the option to boot to Ubuntu or launch the Windows boot manager in /dev/sda1, but no option to boot Debian. However, if boot using legacy boot, I land in what appears to be a boot menu specific to Debian that allows me to boot to Debian or Ubuntu, but does not list Windows as an option. The question is, How do I get all three on one menu, preferably with secure boot and UEFI?

2) When I do boot into Debian, when I select "Debian" as the boot option, the machine just lands in a black screen. I think that the power is still on, but the screen is entirely black, and the keyboard entirely unresponsive. Pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete does not trigger a reboot, and Ctrl + Alt + Fx does not load a TTY screen. The only option is a hard reboot. The odd thing is that Debian worked the first time I booted into it.

Now to explain my system. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7558 which is a gift from my parents. It came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I hate using Windows, but occasionally want to play a game or need to load a document that won't load in LibreOffice, so I originally cut the Windows partition in half and installed Ubuntu alongside it. The two seemed to play well enough together, but I have been growing increasingly unhappy with Ubuntu since they ditched GNOME for Unity, and I recently decided that I wanted to start exploring other options. Ubuntu took the news hard, but I promised that we'd still be friends. To that end, I re-sized both the Windows and Ubuntu partitions so that the latter has about 400 GB available and the former 200, and I then installed Debian on the new 400-GB partition. The installation went fine, except that the modem doesn't work with the free drivers, and I need to install firmware-linux-nonfree and firmware-iwlwifi, both of which I downloaded to a USB device and was going to install once I got into Debian. As it stands, I have Windows in sda3, the Windows boot manager in sda1, Ubuntu in sda6, Debian in sda9, and bios_grub listed in sda8. Here, I'll upload the screenshot from gparted. I searched the forum already, but didn't find anything specific to these two issues. Any help getting things up and running would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Dr. Brian Michael Napoletano
Investigador Asociado "C" de T.C.
Centro de Investigaciones en Geografía Ambiental
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Cor: brian@ciga.unam.mx

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Unable to boot Debian

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You will need to disable Secure Boot.

Debian will install a UEFI system (from a non-live ISO) but does not currently support Secure Boot.

You can attempt to convert it after installation by following this guide (replace "bunsenlabs" with "debian" in the GRUB path):
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=393

However, that method is not reliable at the moment (it doesn't work if `update-grub` loads additional modules).

I will be updating it in future.
deadbang

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#3 Post by kiyop »

Boot ubuntu and install boot-info and execute it and post the generated boot-info result.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

As Head_on_a_Stick mentioned, secure boot should be disabled to boot debian.
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

napoletano

#4 Post by napoletano »

I'm sorry, I just came across this post in a search on something else and realized I never followed up! In my defense, this is because someone stole that computer before I could report back. In case anyone else is having this problem, I was able to have all three systems listed as boot options by booting into Ubuntu and executing:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
I left secure boot disabled.
Dr. Brian Michael Napoletano
Investigador Asociado "C" de T.C.
Centro de Investigaciones en Geografía Ambiental
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
Cor: brian@ciga.unam.mx