Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Multiple Dedicated Servers + Users

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MegaMech

Multiple Dedicated Servers + Users

#1 Post by MegaMech »

Hello,

I have three different dedicated servers running on one VPS instance. I would like each one of them to auto start:
Garry's Mod, Team Speak, and Minecraft (Cubrite C++), and maybe even a web server but I'm out of diskspace.

Should I use one account and run each one in a different "screen"? Or should I have an account for each of them, each running from their own screen?
One of the problems that I am having is that screen doesn't like users that didn't originally log onto the shell. ex. Using su gmod then screen command.
but if the VPS restarted and nobody was logged in but all of these DS's tried to run screen would screen still throw the error?

I don't understand if each user will automatically run their own scripts if that is even possible, or if all autostart scripts are ran as root and in the scripts I can choose a user to run the DS as.
(ex. Teamspeaks init.d autostart file has a spot for running a service as a certain user.)

Ex. User, Game, directory
gmod, Garry's Mod, /home/gmod/
teamspeak, Team Speak, /home/teamspeak/
minecraft, Minecraft , /home/minecraft/

The gmod server auto starts via crontab, while the teamspeak server attempts to autostart using /etc/init.d/teamspeak.

Please ignore the obvious problem of running mc on 768MB of ram, while running a couple other DS's. I'm mainly learning/experimenting. Obviously I should not run DS's as root.
Should I also create a new account that has 'xtra' privileges and then never ever login as root?
More Info:
Running Debian 8.2
768MB Ram
1vcore 2.4ghz
15GB Space
vultr