Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Getting recent versions of software on Debian Jessie

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
wartisoc

Getting recent versions of software on Debian Jessie

#1 Post by wartisoc »

I know that one of the strong points of Debian is having a solid stable repository; that is great most of the time but sometimes you need a more recent version of some particular software and the stable repository is somewhat outdated. I've read about the jessie backports repository but even that one offers a kinda limited number of updated packages.

So I want to ask, is it safe to add the stretch or sid repositories to a Debian Jessie system? or is there any unofficial, trusted repository with updated versions of software for Debian Jessie?. Also, why is it so hard to find stand alone binary releases of software for Linux?.

dasein

Re: Getting recent versions of software on Debian Jessie

#2 Post by dasein »

wartisoc wrote:So I want to ask, is it safe to add the stretch or sid repositories to a Debian Jessie system?
Bless you. To see the carnage that can befall those who don't ask first, have a look here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?&t=114130
wartisoc wrote:... or is there any unofficial, trusted repository with updated versions of software for Debian Jessie?
The best of these, IMO, is the MX repos maintained by our own stevepusser.
wartisoc wrote:Also, why is it so hard to find stand alone binary releases of software for Linux?
One problem = one thread. ;-)

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

So I want to ask, is it safe to add the stretch or sid repositories to a Debian Jessie system?
No it is not "safe"

If you really must have some of the most recent and newest versions of
packages ,etc.
You would be safer, or better off just upgrading Jessie to "testing, (stretch or sid),
Sid, ( Still in Developement ) is also the bad kid next door, that breaks the toy's
in Toy Story,..You should read a lot of Debian Documentation, before doing any kind
of upgrade though. But at least if you uprade, you are running 1 version of Debian,
it is not good to mix versions.
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
There is a lot more Documentation, including instructions on "How to upgrade a Debian distribution",.. just browse debian.org, or do some searches.
=========================edited===========
This might help you understand more on Debian, structure,etc,..I enjoy it,

Infografía creada por claudiocomputingImage
to find stand alone binary releases of software for Linux?.
Agreed with Dasein , this would be another topic, but a "hint" it is not very hard
, just do some searches "Where can I find binary release of linux software "

wartisoc

#4 Post by wartisoc »

Thanks dasein, that was an interesting read.

I've visited stevepusser's profile and followed the link to the MX community repository. Just to be sure, I can safely add the MX repository to my Debian system to update a few packages?. Also, the repository I have to add is the following, right?:

Code: Select all

deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15 main non-free
Also thanks, Garry. I don't think I'm ready to attempt an upgrade but that DontBreakDebian link is certainly very useful.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

To put it fairly bluntly, if you have 'version envy' then Debian isn't the right distro.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

wartisoc wrote:Thanks dasein, that was an interesting read.

I've visited stevepusser's profile and followed the link to the MX community repository. Just to be sure, I can safely add the MX repository to my Debian system to update a few packages?. Also, the repository I have to add is the following, right?:

Code: Select all

deb http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/ mx15 main non-free
Also thanks, Garry. I don't think I'm ready to attempt an upgrade but that DontBreakDebian link is certainly very useful.
Yes, that's the correct "main" repository. To be frank, there's a lot more packages in the MX test repository that are probably good, but we don't get enough feedback from the users to move them to main. We packagers install and test them ourselves on our own machines to make sure they install and don't conflict with other packages, but we can't cover all the bases ourselves. Also be aware that most new GNOME packages are not going to be easily be backported to Jessie, since the developers usually require a whole updated GTK 3 and GNOME 3 base for even the simplest package. KDE 5 applications are going to be the same way, though I think KDE 5 would be simpler to backport to a Jessie base than GNOME. Maybe one of those universal package thingys will help in the future, such as AppImage or Snap packages. I've tried a few AppImages and they are simple to install and run.
MX Linux packager and developer

wartisoc

#7 Post by wartisoc »

Thanks, stevepusser. I'm just getting to learn about the unofficial repositories like the MX one and those listed here: https://wiki.debian.org/UnofficialRepositories

I'm sure these will be enough for my updated packages needs.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

wartisoc wrote:Thanks, stevepusser. I'm just getting to learn about the unofficial repositories like the MX one and those listed here: https://wiki.debian.org/UnofficialRepositories

I'm sure these will be enough for my updated packages needs.
Well, we like to think of ourselves as "official" MX repositories, which happen to be compatible with Jessie. We just aren't part of Debian. We're also part of AntiX, which also uses our repo.
MX Linux packager and developer

wartisoc

#10 Post by wartisoc »

An interesting read, hhh. Thanks.

And thanks again, stevepusser, will keep that in mind.