Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Connect camera via USB

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
zubr

Connect camera via USB

#1 Post by zubr »

Hi,

I am trying to connect my DSLR camera Nikon 3100 via USB with my Debian jessie running KDE.

I have already installed gphoto2 and gkam.

When the camera is connected with the USB cable to my laptop, I is also correctly recognized:

[ 142.838542] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[ 142.850257] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b0, idProduct=0427
[ 142.850283] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 142.850303] usb 1-2: Product: NIKON DSC D3100
[ 142.850317] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: NIKON
[ 142.850331] usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 000006256862

Also with "gphoto2 --auto-detect" the camera is recognied:
Model Port
----------------------------------------------------------
Nikon DSC D3100 (PTP mode) usb:001,006

However when I try to access the camera I always get an error message, e.g. "gphoto2 --list-files":
*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Device or resource busy). Make sure no other program (gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor) or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have read/write access to the device.
*** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***

I get the same problems with gtkam. gtkam recognizes the camera automatically, however when I use Port usb001, 006 I also get the error message: "Could not initialize camera".

It seems that there is a permission issue. Any ideas how to solve it?

Best
Chris

pylkko

Re: Connect camera via USB

#2 Post by pylkko »

To be clear: do you want to connect this device so as to add a camera to the computer or in order to access files on the devices via USB?

zubr

#3 Post by zubr »

I would like to connect my camera with an USB cable to access the photos that are stored on SD card in the camera.

Ideally, the device should be recognized so that I can access the picture files with dolpin.

Hope this helps.

srq2625

#4 Post by srq2625 »

What I have to say is not a direct solution to the problem, but ...

Having been in the digital photography world almost since it's inception (and part of that time as a professional), I have seen a non-trivial number of instances where photographers have lost some (and in some instances, all) of their pictures by attempting to mount their camera to the O/S ~ MS Windows (as far back as XP, but also including NT, Vista, and Win7), Mac (I don't know their O/S culture so can't name any). Linux is not big in the professional photography world, so I've not heard of any problems there .... yet.

I would like to suggest an alternative - remove the memory card from your camera and mount it directly rather than using the camera as a USB hub (which is really what you are trying to do). If your computer doesn't have a slot for the particular card your camera uses, spend the $5 - $15 to get a USB card reader. This money is well-spent insurance.

As an added bonus, it is easy and inexpensive to find a USB 3 card reader, whereas most cameras are only USB 2 - huge speed differences.

zubr

#6 Post by zubr »

wizard10000 wrote:Couple thoughts.

Does digikam see the camera?
Yes, it is automatically recognized as "Camera 'Nikon DSC D3100 (PTP mode)' (usb:)"
If you open a Dolphin window and type

Code: Select all

camera:/
in the address bar what happens?
When I type this address, I see my camera called "Nikon DSC D3100 (PTP mode)". When I click on it, Dophin starts with "Loading folder" but then terminates with this error message:

Could not read. Reason: Could not claim the USB device

zubr

#7 Post by zubr »

wizard10000 wrote:
zubr wrote:

Could not read. Reason: Could not claim the USB device
Did a little reading on this and it looks like your photo software is trying to mount a device that's already mounted. Try opening a dolphin window and unmounting the camera before starting your photo app.

Good luck -
I have the problem that the camera is not indicated in dolphin. Also mount does not show any mounted device.

Are there any other ways to figure out which process uses the USB camera?

Best,
Chris

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

What does this say:

findmnt
deadbang

dotlj

#9 Post by dotlj »

I have a video camera with built in memory and optional SD card. Usually I record to the built in memory. When I attach the camera by usb cable, Debian Jessie detects the camera as a device and the built in memory as another device. When I use an SD card that is also detected as a separate device. I have auto mounting turned off for all removable devices, so that I need to choose which device to mount. For the video camera I choose the memory and buried in a sub directory is the video file. If I choose the camera as a device, it doesn't find the video file.

If you have the default option, auto mounting turned on for removable devices, it may be mounted automatically when you connect, then another application may be trying to mount it also and giving the error message. I mount it and copy the file in Dolphin using the split feature to get two parts in one Dolphin window.