Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian and the Frozen KDM * RESOLVED*

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Chills

Debian and the Frozen KDM * RESOLVED*

#1 Post by Chills »

Hello all!

So I am extremely frustrated and would like to ask for assistance. I installed, or attempted to install, Debian a week ago. I say attempted due to the fact that I have re-installed it multiple times because it will not load the non-free firmware on the thumb drive, even when I create a boot point and run dpkg inside the thumb drive. So I have no internet connection after the installation. During it, the OS recognizes my WiFI and connects without issue. The installation is actually clean. I log into kdm, and it loads three icons and just freezes. I notice that my 940m nvidia card is giving issues when I reboot so I set the boot parameters to nouveau.modeset=0 and attempt it again. I don't get nouveau errors, and kdm loads back up and does the exact same thing. I also am having issues connecting to the ethernet and wifi. I have tried so many different troubleshooting steps. When I say I spent a week on this trying to understand WHAT my issue is before I even requested help, I did. I have googled myself grey at this point, but I want it to work.

I am willing to give any information. I know some might ask for me to run a few commands in the terminal, so ask away. At this point, I think it might be my computer. My computer is an Asus q552u. It has a 940m nvidia card, Skylake architecture, tons of hard drive and ram. I have no doubt that someone will respond and make me feel like an utter idiot. But I feel I need someones direction on this. I appreciate an help that can be given.

Thank you
Last edited by Chills on 2016-10-07 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

Re: Debian and the Frozen KDM

#2 Post by Ardouos »

Please provide us with:

Code: Select all

lspci | grep 'VGA'
Your hardware looks very new, you may will need a later kernel/ drivers and maybe some non-free blobs.

Debian stable out of the box generally runs much better with older hardware that has not been released in the last 1 or 2 years.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Chills

#3 Post by Chills »

So I did a fresh install of Debian with the CD installation. It went perfectly. This time I disabled CSM in my bios and I didn't have an issue. I am currently trying to figure out why this would cause the system to not load into the os. Any information would be helpful. I am currently scratching my head, and feel like a dunce at them moment.

Also, the firmware is still causing issues. It seems that the system is not recognizing my nvidia card or wifi card oddly enough. I will be following the instructions in the handbook to resolve this, and other googling. I know I stumbled upon the answer to this question multiple times as I was troubleshooting this issue.

Chills

#4 Post by Chills »

Figured out the issue. Currently working inside the environment now. It seems that my computer has a secure boot, but it was disabled. CSM and also Fast Boot was enabled in the bios. From my limited understanding of fastboot, the system attempts to boot as fast as possible while not completely assigning the firmware to the hardware as it boots. It is usually used in Windows to increase boot speed. I have disabled that and also CSM ( still reading up on CSM and it's relation to UEFI ). But I think this is resolved at this time.