Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How can I install PPAPI flash for Chromium?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
billytv

How can I install PPAPI flash for Chromium?

#1 Post by billytv »

Hi there, I'm just trying to install flash plugin for chromium, however I found out pepperflashplugin-nonfree has been removed. In the bug page #833741 said PPAPI flash plugin can be downloaded from adobe, which I already did. But how can I install it manually? It has got libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json files. Thanks

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: How can I install PPAPI flash for Chromium?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

We have a bunsen-pepperflash package in the BunsenLabs repositories that will download and install the latest PPAPI version and also install and enable a systemd timer to check for updates every day automatically (and flash up a warning if there is an error -- @johnraff is a genius).

I am using the package myself on my Debian jessie system and it works very well indeed.

You can download the .deb from here:

https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/ ... pperflash/

However, that package has a few dependencies that are only available from the BL repositories so it may be simplest to add our repository then install the package:

Code: Select all

# echo "deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian bunsen-hydrogen main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list
wget https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/b/bunsen-keyring/bunsen-keyring_2016.7.2-1_all.deb
# dpkg -i bunsen-keyring_2016.7.2-1_all.deb
# apt update
# apt install bunsen-pepperflash
If you don't want to add the repository, just use `gdebi bunsen-pepperflash*.deb` and go back through the dependency tree manually, all the .debs are available from here (listed alphabetically):

https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/

I think MX also have a solution for this.
deadbang

billytv

#3 Post by billytv »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:We have a bunsen-pepperflash package in the BunsenLabs repositories that will download and install the latest PPAPI version and also install and enable a systemd timer to check for updates every day automatically (and flash up a warning if there is an error -- @johnraff is a genius).

I am using the package myself on my Debian jessie system and it works very well indeed.

You can download the .deb from here:

https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/ ... pperflash/

However, that package has a few dependencies that are only available from the BL repositories so it may be simplest to add our repository then install the package:

# echo "deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian bunsen-hydrogen main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list
wget https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/b/bunsen-keyring/bunsen-keyring_2016.7.2-1_all.deb
# dpkg -i bunsen-keyring_2016.7.2-1_all.deb
# apt update
# apt install bunsen-pepperflash
If you don't want to add the repository, just use `gdebi bunsen-pepperflash*.deb` and go back through the dependency tree manually, all the .debs are available from here (listed alphabetically):

https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/pool/main/

I think MX also have a solution for this.

Thanks for your reply, I follow the instructions and add the bunsenlabs to repository. It seems successfully installed the flash plugin and chromium works very well. However at the end of installation outputs. It said:

This package uses light-locker in the bl-lock script. You seem to have xscreensaver installed. To avoid conflicts, please remove xscreensaver from your openbox autostart file, and consider uninstalling it. (Alternatively, uninstall light-locker and edit /usr/bin/bl-lock.)
I found nothing related to xcreensaver in /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart. Also bl-lock script (already?) replaced with light-locker. Is that everything OK? Thank you.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

billytv wrote:Is that everything OK?
Yes, don't worry about that message -- it is specific to the BunsenLabs desktop and is not anything that will disturb your system.
deadbang

CrudX

#5 Post by CrudX »

If this package just downloads the flash binary why does it need so many dependencies?!

sickpig

#6 Post by sickpig »

ohh no, preapre to get bird pooped and get heckled for necromancy
btw chromium should play everything by default, if not then install chrome
or wait for bird poop and hecklers

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

CrudX wrote:If this package just downloads the flash binary why does it need so many dependencies?!
Because the package also includes a notification system.

Please take any issues to the BunsenLabs forums, the package originates there and I'm not involved with that distribution any more.
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

sickpig wrote:chromium should play everything by default, if not then install chrome
Chrome includes PPAPI but chromium does not, hence the package.

Although most interweb videos are HTML5 now the games on FaceBook still use Flash, sadly.
deadbang

CrudX

#9 Post by CrudX »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
sickpig wrote:chromium should play everything by default, if not then install chrome
Chrome includes PPAPI but chromium does not, hence the package.

Although most interweb videos are HTML5 now the games on FaceBook still use Flash, sadly.
And Lumosity ... :(

CrudX

#10 Post by CrudX »

Update: There is now a package available from Debian stretch testing that does the same thing as the Bunsen one (".. download Pepper Flash Player from Adobe website, and configure Chromium to use it.") without the crazy deps. See https://wiki.debian.org/PepperFlashPlayer/Installing. Works good.

kevinthefixer

#11 Post by kevinthefixer »

CrudX wrote:Debian stretch testing
First reaction was "Huh? No such animal!" What the Wiki actually says is that the package from Buster (which is currently "testing" will work in Stretch.

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

sickpig wrote:ohh no, preapre to get bird pooped and get heckled for necromancy
btw chromium should play everything by default, if not then install chrome
or wait for bird poop and hecklers
If you think that Chromium can play mp4 HTML5 video by default in Debian, you're mistaken.
MX Linux packager and developer

sickpig

#13 Post by sickpig »

nope u r right, i was wrong about chromium. but chrome does, however its not an option for anyone not wanting to share their info to the big G

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

sickpig wrote:nope u r right, i was wrong about chromium. but chrome does, however its not an option for anyone not wanting to share their info to the big G
I do have it working in Chromium, but I don't think I installed ffmpeg.so for it specifically, so it was probably one of the other installs I did for testing Vivaldi, Opera, or Slimjet. I'm pretty sure the Iridium browser ships with it out of the box because they have no assets to be sued for.

sickpig

#15 Post by sickpig »

Iridium browser's website says it supports Debian 10+ no mention of 9, but i haven't tried it, it might work on 9. Also, German outfits are notorious for shipping quality products and being smart, I would think they must have safeguarded themselves against getting sued for copyright infringements.

Soul Singin'

#16 Post by Soul Singin' »

stevepusser wrote:If you think that Chromium can play mp4 HTML5 video by default in Debian, you're mistaken.
So many websites autoplay their videos that some people would consider that a feature.

But alas Chromium 73 on Debian Buster just played the MP4 HTML5 test video on this "HTML5 Video Test Page." It played all of the other videos too. They all played "out-of-the-box," i.e. with the default configuration.

kevinthefixer

#17 Post by kevinthefixer »

Soul Singin' wrote:
stevepusser wrote:If you think that Chromium can play mp4 HTML5 video by default in Debian, you're mistaken.
So many websites autoplay their videos that some people would consider that a feature.

But alas Chromium 73 on Debian Buster just played the MP4 HTML5 test video on this "HTML5 Video Test Page." It played all of the other videos too. They all played "out-of-the-box," i.e. with the default configuration.
Yes, even geek-oriented sites do that. I'd have thought CNet would know better, but I'm thinking I'll unsubscribe.

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Since Stretch also has the same version, it should also now be able to play the formerly restricted codecs. But I can't find anything relevant in its changelog about codecs, mp4, ffmpeg, h.264, or html5.