Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Wifi connection dropping, is there a cure?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gmlox

Re: Wifi connection dropping, is there a cure?

#21 Post by gmlox »

Hello,
I'm 99,9% confident this problem is related to IPv6 recursive DNS server discovery daemon.
problem is that this program contains a possible bug in current debian release
which overrides resolv.conf file, instead of appending nameserver to the file...
in short your network is working but DNS does not.

To resolve this issue you'll need to remove this package, and possibly resolvconf too if that won't work, and then connect manually to the network...
For now remove rdnssd buggy package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge rdnssd
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
sudo apt-get check
#if error then

sudo apt-get -f install
#else

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist upgrade
#check state of DNS server

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
#edit resolv.conf file, posibly remove invalid entries
#for example, you can use following entry (yandex DNS)

nameserver 77.88.8.8
nameserver 77.88.8.1
at this point connect to the network as you usually do.
if unable to connect reboot interface and networking service.
for instance (replace wlan0 with your card):

get dev name

sudo iw dev
reboot net

sudo service networking restart
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0
now either connect with network manager such as wicd or do it on command line

sudo wpa_passphrase "your network name" network_password > /etc/wpa.conf
sudo wpa_supplicant -i wlan0 -D nl80211 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
#ran new shell and:

sudo dhclient -v wlan0
at this point your network should be working, try to surf and see how it goes.
if it does not work and you used command line to connect (wpa_supplicant) then,
editing /etc/network/interfaces/ should do a trick:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
for example see this entry for wireless card named wlan0

# The primary wireless network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
dns-nameservers 77.88.8.8
dns-nameservers 77.88.8.1
Please not that if you have resolvconf package installed the dns entry is required, because this is
where resolvconf looks for DNS address, and the puts that into /etc/resolv.conf file

If this doesn't solve your issue, remove resolvconf:

sudo apt-get purge resolvconf
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
#now input this:

nameserver 77.88.8.8
nameserver 77.88.8.1
remove dns-namservers entries from /etc/network/interfaces file, and the run:
reboot net

sudo service networking restart
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo ifup wlan0
Now again try to surf and see how it goes.
if still network does not work, reboot system and try to connect with either wicd or on command line
with wpa_supplicant and dhclient only as shown above.

If still no luck, or you have another problem or question, then please provide info on interface, driver and network setup.
then we'll see what to do next.

bryanmc

#22 Post by bryanmc »

That's quite a bit to digest. :shock:
I'm curious though, since my router handles dns and I have ipv6 ignored in network manager does it all still apply. I'm fairly new to this so I'm not questioning your knowledge, just trying to expand mine.

gmlox

#23 Post by gmlox »

Yes, it does apply, regardless if IPv6 is ignored and regardless of DNS status in initial stage.

When client connects to router, it indeed receives DNS replies from router and is able to communicate with outside world, but not for very long time because it is not known at which time rdnssd will "corrupt" the resolver, and when it does the network will not work any more because your PC will try to reach router over IPv6 which you do not have enabled.

bryanmc

#24 Post by bryanmc »

bw123 wrote:
my router on ch1 another on ch3 and another on ch11
So you set yours to channel 7 and don't let it move. Stake out your territory, because those other routers are probably switching channels constantly. Also, you should be aware of overlapping coverage, or "blind spots" when routers conflict with each other, no matter what channel they are on. It has to do with the ACK signal from sent packages, there's a wiki page somewhere. can't recall the topic.
I chose ch1 and locked it there because my understanding is that 1,6 and 11 have the least amount of overlap with the other channels. The other two pc's in the house with wireless connections are not having an issue, just the one running Debian.

bryanmc

#25 Post by bryanmc »

gmlox wrote:Hello,

To resolve this issue you'll need to remove this package, and possibly resolvconf too if that won't work, and then connect manually to the network...
Well....

bryan@zeus:~$ sudo apt-get purge rdnssd
[sudo] password for bryan: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package 'rdnssd' is not installed, so not removed
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  espeak-data gir1.2-wnck-3.0 libbrlapi0.6 libdotconf0 libespeak1
  liblouis-data liblouis2 libsonic0 libspeechd2 python3-brlapi python3-louis
  python3-pyatspi python3-speechd python3-xdg speech-dispatcher
  speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins xbrlapi
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
bryan@zeus:~$ 

gmlox

#26 Post by gmlox »

I had this very issue my self, and that made me sure about resolving the issue but obviously I was wrong.

It could be a driver, realtek is known with these chips not working well without proper driver, and, unfortunately they don't provide a driver on their site :?
What I would do is compile wirless driver from backports, they usually have good working drivers.
https://backports.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

bryanmc

#27 Post by bryanmc »

That may be the next step in my continuing linux education. I am going to cheat and install an Atheros wifi card to see if it changes things.

v&n

#28 Post by v&n »

bryanmc wrote:I am going to cheat and install an Atheros wifi card to see if it changes things.
Before that, I suggest trying one more thing, quite common and easy to try. That is, add another parameter to your existing rtl8192.conf file -

# sed -i '/rtl8192ce/ s/.*/& swenc=1/' /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8192.conf
Followed by a reload of the driver or a reboot.

Also, you seem to know about your router settings, maybe have even set them manually. Try these settings in the router -
  • Try fixing channel width to 20 MHz only instead of 20/40 MHz auto mode
  • If it is a dual band router, try disabling 5GHz support for a test. Fix it to 2.4 GHz only.
  • Try fixing the channel to ch.6. Apparently (from the report) it is not being used by any neighbouring APs, while current ch.1 is being used by at least one other AP and its signal is strong enough to cause significant interference -
    bryanmc wrote:

iwlist scan ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wlan1     Scan completed :
              Cell 01 - Address: <MAC C-01 lchouse>
                        Channel:1
    .... <snip> ....
              Cell 02 - Address: <MAC C-02 DIRECT-roku-17284E>
                        Channel:1
                        Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                        Quality=67/70  Signal level=-43 dBm  
  • Try toggling "WMM" (usually found under QoS settings) state to on/off.
Reboot the router after saving the changes to make sure they take effect properly. A tired brain can only think so far for now..

bryanmc

#29 Post by bryanmc »

I think there may be a problem with the command you wrote. Initially the response was rtl1892.conf no such file or directory, so I went into modprobe.d, created the file and re-ran the command. It didn't error out, but it didn't write anything to the file either.

Your patience and assistance are both greatly appreciated.

wartisoc

#30 Post by wartisoc »

Have you tried disabling the network manager service and connecting manually? Doing that has helped me in the past (can't explain why, though).

v&n

#31 Post by v&n »

bryanmc wrote:I think there may be a problem with the command you wrote. Initially the response was rtl1892.conf no such file or directory
Yes, there IS no such file, it is rtl8192.conf. And unless you manually edited the report file, I'm confident it is there -
bryanmc wrote:

======== Wireless-Info START ========
.... <snip> ....
Custom files/entries ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/etc/modprobe.d]
rtl8192.conf      : options rtl8192ce fwlps=0 ips=0
So I suggest you correct the command and remove the dummy file you just created.

bryanmc

#32 Post by bryanmc »

I think I know what happened. One of the suggested fixes I tried earlier was to create that file with the options shown in the report. At some point (after I generated the report file) one of the fixes I tried made a mess of things and I restored the install which had been backed up before I created that file. The rtl1892 was a typo on my part.... I'll clean up my mess and retry it. I apologize for the confusion.

bryanmc

#33 Post by bryanmc »

I'm happy to report that one of the actions suggested by v&m on 11/23/16 appears to have solved the problem. I was away from the laptop for 2.5 hours today and when I returned, the wifi connection was still up and usable. I wish I could say for sure which tweak it was but I'm going to wait a day or two before declaring the issue solved and adding that to the thread title. Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and thoughts in this thread. After a while I will try to reverse engineer the fix to try to isolate exactly what resolved the issue.

v&n

#34 Post by v&n »

Congratulations! While you figure out the actual cause and/or the solution, you should mark the thread as solved by editing the first post and adding [SOLVED] prefix to the subject line. It helps others users having same or similar problems, as well as us troubleshooters.

kepler19

#35 Post by kepler19 »

bryanmc wrote:I'm happy to report that one of the actions suggested by v&m on 11/23/16 appears to have solved the problem. I was away from the laptop for 2.5 hours today and when I returned, the wifi connection was still up and usable. I wish I could say for sure which tweak it was but I'm going to wait a day or two before declaring the issue solved and adding that to the thread title. Thanks to all that shared their knowledge and thoughts in this thread. After a while I will try to reverse engineer the fix to try to isolate exactly what resolved the issue.
Hello i have same problem and can u help me which fixes helped you?
It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions.

v&n

#36 Post by v&n »

kepler19 wrote:Hello i have same problem and can u help me which fixes helped you?
Post the details of your problem and what you have tried so far, then maybe we could help.

kepler19

#37 Post by kepler19 »

v&n wrote:
kepler19 wrote:Hello i have same problem and can u help me which fixes helped you?
Post the details of your problem and what you have tried so far, then maybe we could help.
My connection to wifi drops itself. it conects to internet but a few seconds after losts internet itself. where from should i begin? i did search but i am afraid to not break system.

v&n

Re: [SOLVED] Wifi connection dropping, is there a cure?

#38 Post by v&n »

"My connection drops itself" is not sufficient to start with. Please see this 6th post of this thread to generate and post details of your wifi setup : http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=629558#p629558

..or, much better for learning purpose, browse the forums to learn how to find and post at least basic technical info to start with.

kepler19

Re: [SOLVED] Wifi connection dropping, is there a cure?

#39 Post by kepler19 »

Hello all,

I have such problem after i did upgrade kernel to 4.13 on my Debian stretch:

when click on my wifi SSID it starts configurations and after show me ,,connection deactivated". i searched and there are a files rtl8188.conf , rtl8723be.conf on modprode.d.
that is my adapter:
lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
please help me.