Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How do I tell if I wiped my windows install?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
chomby

How do I tell if I wiped my windows install?

#1 Post by chomby »

I think when I installed Debian I also wiped my previous windows installation with all my files (I have most of the files backed-up so its fine). Is there a way I can verify if I did wipe it, because if not, learning how to boot into windows would be great.

Thank you in advance!

GarryRicketson

Re: How do I tell if I wiped my windows install?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Welcome to
Debian User Forums

Maybe explain exactly how you installed Debian ?
and what version, etc.

As far as windows goes, and
by chomby »learning how to boot into windows would be great.
,...Don't know, I don't use that program because it is malware,...maybe ask on a windows forum.

Maybe also try this:
How to install Debian , and Windows as a dual boot system
First hit:
https://wiki.debian.org/WindowsDualBoot

chomby

#3 Post by chomby »

GarryRicketson wrote:Welcome to
Debian User Forums

Maybe explain exactly how you installed Debian ?
and what version, etc.

As far as windows goes, and
by chomby »learning how to boot into windows would be great.
,...Don't know, I don't use that program because it is malware,...maybe ask on a windows forum.

Maybe also try this:
How to install Debian , and Windows as a dual boot system
First hit:
https://wiki.debian.org/WindowsDualBoot
Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Debian. 8.7.1. I installed it using a USB boot. As for Windows I primarly wanted it to run various windows only programs such as battle.net, but right now I'm reading up on WINE which I believe should help.

The main reason I thought to boot back to windows was to see if I do still have all my files, or if I did delete them when installing Debian. Is there a way of checking this?

pawRoot

#4 Post by pawRoot »

You installed it on 1 hard drive right? so just browse the disk through file manager?
Also maybe check the partitions using gparted

And wine is a bad idea if you want to play newer games or want good performance.

chomby

#5 Post by chomby »

pawRoot wrote:You installed it on 1 hard drive right? so just browse the disk through file manager?
Also maybe check the partitions using gparted

And wine is a bad idea if you want to play newer games or want good performance.
Yes, just the main hard drive that comes with my laptop. My file manager shows nothing except for anything I've downloaded since installation.
Also, why it's not related to my original question, I presume virtualizing is better in general?

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

What options did you check while installing Debian? , like use whole disk, partition manually etc.

As i said, use gparted to check partitions or type `lsblk` in terminal.
chomby wrote:I presume virtualizing is better in general?
You mean for games? best option will always be Windows for that. Wine for example has no DirectX 11 support.