Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Practical exercices

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
banderas20

Practical exercices

#1 Post by banderas20 »

Hello all.

I have just finished LPIC-I course and I'd like to get certified (I've already read the entire book).

In my current job I've no linux servers, so the most I can do is practice at home, so I have linux installed.

However, I don't have the opportunity to run through all the material covered in the Sys Admin course (I'm a single linux user).

¿Are there any resources on the web as "Practical exercises resolved" so I can put in practice and simulate challenges that would happen in a real environment? (aside from the expensive A-B-C-D exams available on the official website)

Thanks in advance!

banderas20

Re: Practical exercices

#3 Post by banderas20 »

arochester wrote:Would this help? https://sourceforge.net/projects/live-raizo/
It seems a good tool, but I want something that challenges me. I assume all that I can do with that distro I can do it with my Jessie real installation too.

I'm looking for "questions" so I need to struggle to find the solution and practise.

Thanks!

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

banderas20 wrote:I'm looking for "questions" so I need to struggle to find the solution and practise.
At the risk of pointing out the insanely obvious, you're asking your question in a treasure-trove of questions. And there are a dozen more just like it all over the Web.

Pick a category and start reading initial posts. Any question you can't solve off the top of your head presents you with an opportunity to practice your troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

by banderas20 » I'm looking for "questions" so I need to struggle to find the solution and practise.
I was thinking the same thing that Dasein says , last night.
There are over 1000 unanswered questions on this forum alone,
if the OP started checking other forums, they would find even more.

http://forums.debian.net/search.php?sea ... unanswered

Many of these , part of the problem or reason they never got answered is
the OPs do not give enough details, but that is a common problem in trying
to trouble shoot a problem, and often the OP does not know what details or information is needed, The person trying to answer needs to know what details are needed, and how to get them, usually that is the main reason the OP can not solve the problem their self. Any way, have fun.

banderas20

#6 Post by banderas20 »

dasein wrote:
banderas20 wrote:I'm looking for "questions" so I need to struggle to find the solution and practise.
At the risk of pointing out the insanely obvious, you're asking your question in a treasure-trove of questions. And there are a dozen more just like it all over the Web.

Pick a category and start reading initial posts. Any question you can't solve off the top of your head presents you with an opportunity to practice your troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
It's a good starting point. The only drawback is that many of these unanswered questions are maybe too hard for a newbie like me. I'm trying to get my certificate LPIC-I, so step by step, haha....

Thanks for pointing that out anyway!!! :)

Thorny

#7 Post by Thorny »

banderas20 wrote: It's a good starting point. The only drawback is that many of these unanswered questions are maybe too hard for a newbie like me. I'm trying to get my certificate LPIC-I, so step by step, haha....
In that case, simply modify your quest by starting with already solved questions, read only the first post (the op's description of the problem) and then determine what you would advise before reading on. After you have done that, read on through the posts following to confirm that you were correct in what to do or not, one post at a time, making sure that you understand the process at each step and also learning the kind of things that OPs often don't understand or leave out. Note when other posters trying to help are and aren't correct. Ultimately, you can get down to the solution. As with all learning, it can be helpful to take notes along the way.

What I have described can be cumbersome. On the other hand, it is free.

For that matter, it likely could help you to invest in a couple of older, cheaper, used computers that can run linux and set up a small network of your own to practice with and make mistakes and have to correct them. Initially, just a LAN, for safety not connected to the Internet until you become more proficient.

If your goal is certification, and you want questions posed and then explained in a form that makes it easier to answer certification questions then maybe reconsider paying the official website as an investment in your future career. This probably would be the fastest way to get the certs if that is important to you.

banderas20

#8 Post by banderas20 »

Thorny wrote: If your goal is certification, and you want questions posed and then explained in a form that makes it easier to answer certification questions then maybe reconsider paying the official website as an investment in your future career. This probably would be the fastest way to get the certs if that is important to you.
My goal is to learn. Whatever the way :). Though I'd like to cover the basic points of the cert.

Thanks!