Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

downloading problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
helpme

downloading problem

#1 Post by helpme »

hey everyone! please help me :( ..i am new to linux and i have little problem..when i was installing linux debian, i installed it from CD..now if i want download something, install packages or update it doesnt go..i tried anything but it still doesnt work..still the same errors, for example that the package couldnt be find..or for updates were used old versions of programmes..or the code cant be used for adding new CDs..do someone know why is it like this? could it be because of the (maybe) default downloading from CD? can i set it somehow to download normally from network? thanks for answer from anybody x)

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: downloading problem

#2 Post by arochester »

still the same errors
EXACTLY, EXACTLY what error messages do you get?

Are you connected to the Internet?

In a Terminal
Become Root by typing

Code: Select all

su
Then type

apt update
When that finishes type

apt upgrade
When that finishes type

apt install frozen-bubble
If you get ANY error messages tell us EXACTLY what error messages you get.

Have a look at https://www.linux.com/learn/return-root ... ted-debian

debiman

#3 Post by debiman »

please, open a terminal and enter this command:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
ls /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
and copy-paste the output here, between code tags if possible.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you tried this ?
how to install packages on Debian

This goes into all of the details of installing packages
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... 02.en.html

Did you edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file ?
Comment out the lines that are for a CD, and add the sources,
as shown in the example in the above link.
Note, in the above, Debian stretch is used in the example,
I can not say what you should have in the sources.list file,
because you do not bother to mention what version of Debian
you have installed.

There is also more details here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageManagement

It is not like there is no information available on this, and also there are several
topics, and threads here on the forum where this has been asked many times,
just browse/search the forum.
Please read:

helpme

#5 Post by helpme »

arochester: when i try to install package it writes it cant be found.. i tried also update and upgrade, but it said "for add CD to APT use apt-cdrom. apt-get update cant be used for adding new CDs" and another error : "downloading cdrom failed", "some index files couldnt be downloaded. they were ignored or were used old versions"..i have internet connection of course..

debiman: i wrote it..it wrote that "can not access to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*: directory or file doesnt exist.... same about ls.. it means i dont have source list?omg

GarryRicketson: i tried lot of things..btw my version is debian linux 8 jessie..

what should i do?? im not very skilled in this so sorry if i cant understand :?

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

Hysterical hand-waving will not solve your problem, but following directions might.

You say you are new to Linux. Debian is not newbie-friendly, and it doesn't try to be. You could potentially save yourself a lot of heartache if you'd consider using a distro that's designed to be easier for newcomers.

If you are determined to ignore that advice, then you need to start following directions. Two people have already told you to post exact output. Not a summary, not your interpretation, but exact output. They aren't asking for this information to be mean, or to steal your joy; they are doing it because they need the information they are asking for.

The tiny fragment of information that you did provide in your last post offers a potential hint about the problem. It's probably worth your time to read this page from the Debian Wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList

Pay particular attention to the section on Example sources.list and follow its directions exactly. (You will need to be root in order to make the necessary changes. If you're not sure what "root" is, then consult man su.)

IF you still have an issue, post back with exact error output or don't bother. No one here can see your screen or type at your keyboard, so in order for folks here to help you, you have to be our "eyes and ears" (or, in this case, fingers).
Last edited by dasein on 2017-03-01 20:34, edited 1 time in total.

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

It sounds like you've installed from CD without an internet connection. This means that when you install packages, they have to come from that CD and not over the internet.

We need to see the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list. Post back the entire contents of this file here enclosed using

tags.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

y helpme »
debiman: i wrote it..it wrote that "can not access to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*: directory or file
That is not how he wrote it.
Look again:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*}
ls /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*} 
Or, do it this way:

cd /etc/apt/
ls

The 'ls' command will show the files, you should see one called "sources.list",...
you might not have a sources.list.d directory yet, that can be created later if need
be.
To edit the sources.list file you must be root, or use sudo.
You probably need to edit it, comment out the lines that are for a CD, and
add the correct sources for Debian Jessie sources.
Can you show us what your sources.list file has in it , please. That is what
we need to see.
This will print it to a text file, and you can copy /paste it into code boxes here, on the forum.

cat /etc/apt/sources.list > sources.txt 
If you do this from your home directory, the file will be in your home directory, or the same directory you run the comment from,
another example:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list > /home/garry/ 
(garry is my username, you would want to substitute that with yours)
So any way, now you have 3 or 4 explanations, all telling you the same things, hopefully one of them you can understand, if not we will have to try again.

bw123

#9 Post by bw123 »

It looks like you have a lot of help here. That's great I like all the comments. They will get you going pretty quick.

I wish you would slow down a little, and read all the posts before you do anything to your system. You probably don't even understand the terminal commands, and you might look up advice from other areas on the net and blindly type in things that will really only complicate things for you later. My advice is just that, GO SLOW.

One thing that really messed me up though when I moved to linux was the idea that new programs aren't "downloaded" so that's something you'll have to think over and understand. On some operating systems, you use a browser to search, locate, and click on links that download a setup.exe or some ZIP file or whatnot. We don't do that too much on debian. We use another way to install programs, and it's better than the other way IMO.

Just think about it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT