Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Laptop not resuming from suspend

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
halepagneaux

Laptop not resuming from suspend

#1 Post by halepagneaux »

My Dell XPS 13 has not been resuming from sleep lately, and I cannot figure out why. Everything was working fine until I booted into my Windows partition a few weeks ago, which by the way, has not been a problem before. If I close the lid or even leave it open for a long time, if I try to resume I just see the bios screen followed by grub, then as it loads I see errors relating to orphaned inodes after checking the journal.

When I fist installed linux on this machine it was recommended that I uncomment a few lines in /etc/systemd/login.conf dealing with suspend. The last time I installed Debian I forgot to do that but there wasn't an issue. Since the problem started I have uncommented those lines to no effect. I've tried googling and ended up getting lost so I'm here asking for help.

pylkko

Re: Laptop not resuming from suspend

#2 Post by pylkko »

Does it resume from

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl suspend 

halepagneaux

#3 Post by halepagneaux »

Thanks for responding!

Unfortunately it does not. When I try to wake it (hitting the space bar works 30% of the time) it just does normal startup and takes me to grub.

The output of

dmesg | grep -i PM
returns

[     1.120895] PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.
among other things. If that helps.

pylkko

#4 Post by pylkko »

Systemctl suspend should not make a hibernation image AFAIK. Do you use swap? Because hibernation requires swap. If not, then hibernation or hybrid sleep should not work and you should suspend instead. If you do use swap, it might be that the hibernation image is corrupted for whatever reason. If you are really only suspending to RAM and the image cannot be loaded or found, then I would suspect a hardware failure (memtest) or that the kernel does not understand the memory addresses. Are you using a back ported kernel? That is relatively new hardware, isn't it?

phenest

#5 Post by phenest »

halepagneaux wrote:it was recommended that I uncomment a few lines in /etc/systemd/login.conf dealing with suspend.
What lines? Please show us the contents of that file showing which lines you uncommented.
halepagneaux wrote:The output of

dmesg | grep -i PM
returns

[     1.120895] PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.
among other things. If that helps.
Also, if you're using the Space Bar to wake the laptop, you are not using hibernation. I'm not sure what that message means or if it's relevant.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

halepagneaux

#6 Post by halepagneaux »

So this is odd, when I opened the thing today it resumed normally. Another weird thing is the space bar situation. That 30% success rate still ends up going through grub.

These are the lines in logind.conf

HandleLidSwitch=suspend
HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend
EDIT: I should add that this seems to be an intermittent issue with Dell XPS 13 laptops from what I've found online

halepagneaux

#7 Post by halepagneaux »

I have to say, the problem seems to have stopped. All I did was revert logind.conf back to its default, then reboot, uncomment those lines, and reboot again. What I don't understand is that I actually did this two other times but this time it seems to have worked?

;) this has been my experience with Linux so far. It doesn't work and I don't know why, then it does work and I don't know why. :lol:

pylkko

#8 Post by pylkko »

Well, if you don't share what kernel, operating system you are using and make changes (that you don't share) to logind without understanding them... Then, surprise! This is what happens over and over again...

halepagneaux

#9 Post by halepagneaux »

Anything I've done to this system was done following a guide. The guide I followed for the logind.conf changes was for the same model of laptop that I have running Debian testing on a slightly newer kernel than the guide had. I don't think it's necessary to have an attitude in regards to my issue.

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

This thread is pointless unless you're going to share some information about what you did. That way, it will be helpful to someone else who has the same laptop.
Perhaps you could tell us where you found the guide.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D