Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
tunashoe

Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

#1 Post by tunashoe »

Hello Forum:

I can't find any resources indicating whether the following is a known problem or peculiar to me.

My preferred desktop is XFCE but I really like the Nemo file manager that loads under Cinnamon, because it's the only dual pane file manager I know of that will mount remote file systems.

When I run Nemo under XFCE it wipes out my desktop. To get the desktop back I have to log out and back in. If I run Nemo from a terminal the desktop returns after I close it, but while Nemo is running the desktop is gone. Tried the same set-up in 2 different vboxes on 2 different machines (both debian 8.3 and 8.6) and got the same behavior.

This is not so big a deal - obvious solution is just don't use Nemo - but I'd like to know if it's a documented problem. I can't find anything. If it's already out there I apologize.

Thanks.

brian

debiman

Re: Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

#2 Post by debiman »

it's expected behavior.

but you can run nemo with a "nodesktop" option.

PS:
tunashoe wrote:My preferred desktop is XFCE but I really like the Nemo file manager that loads under Cinnamon, because it's the only dual pane file manager I know of that will mount remote file systems.
there's about a dozen dual (and more) pane filemanagers for linux, i'm pretty sure quite a few of those have an option to mount remote systems.
but really, why is this even a task for the file manager?
if you just mount the remote system some other way, you can use ANY filemanager.

tunashoe

#3 Post by tunashoe »

Thanks debiman:

That's how I do it now. And that's how it will be.

I feel better knowing that it's an expected behavior.

Thanks again.

brian

tunashoe

#4 Post by tunashoe »

Just found out Dolphin has a dual pane view and mounts remote file systems right out of the tree view. Problem solved.

brian

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

tunashoe wrote: that will mount remote file systems.brian
You can try XFE file manager. Excellent lightweight file manager.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github