Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!

Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

Postby tunashoe » 2017-03-11 22:15

Hello Forum:

I can't find any resources indicating whether the following is a known problem or peculiar to me.

My preferred desktop is XFCE but I really like the Nemo file manager that loads under Cinnamon, because it's the only dual pane file manager I know of that will mount remote file systems.

When I run Nemo under XFCE it wipes out my desktop. To get the desktop back I have to log out and back in. If I run Nemo from a terminal the desktop returns after I close it, but while Nemo is running the desktop is gone. Tried the same set-up in 2 different vboxes on 2 different machines (both debian 8.3 and 8.6) and got the same behavior.

This is not so big a deal - obvious solution is just don't use Nemo - but I'd like to know if it's a documented problem. I can't find anything. If it's already out there I apologize.

Thanks.

brian
tunashoe

Re: Running Nemo File Manager in XFCE

Postby debiman » 2017-03-12 07:30

it's expected behavior.

but you can run nemo with a "nodesktop" option.

PS:
tunashoe wrote:My preferred desktop is XFCE but I really like the Nemo file manager that loads under Cinnamon, because it's the only dual pane file manager I know of that will mount remote file systems.

there's about a dozen dual (and more) pane filemanagers for linux, i'm pretty sure quite a few of those have an option to mount remote systems.
but really, why is this even a task for the file manager?
if you just mount the remote system some other way, you can use ANY filemanager.
debiman

Postby tunashoe » 2017-03-12 11:53

Thanks debiman:

That's how I do it now. And that's how it will be.

I feel better knowing that it's an expected behavior.

Thanks again.

brian
tunashoe

Postby tunashoe » 2017-03-12 20:10

Just found out Dolphin has a dual pane view and mounts remote file systems right out of the tree view. Problem solved.

brian
tunashoe

Postby None1975 » 2017-03-13 12:35

tunashoe wrote: that will mount remote file systems.brian

You can try XFE file manager. Excellent lightweight file manager.
None1975

Return to Beginners Questions