Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Virtualbox DKMS error

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
weakV

Virtualbox DKMS error

#1 Post by weakV »

Hello,

I am new to debian, but i've been using linux for few months by now.
So I need to install virtualbox for some reasons and i get this DKMS error https://pastebin.com/gvm6ELdd.
I also looked at vbox-install.log but unfortunatley i don't know what am i looking for there (here is the output https://pastebin.com/XNXcQ8kX).

I would really apreciate any kind of help.

Segfault

Re: Virtualbox DKMS error

#2 Post by Segfault »

Code: Select all

error "CONFIG_X86_SMAP is only supported by 4.3 and higher. Please upgrade VirtualBox
That's your error, for some reason the version of VBox you are trying to install is too old. How exactly are you installing it, using apt?
Curious, you are using 32-bit Debian. Indicating you have a weak machine with less than 2 GB of RAM or not 64-bit capable at all. What use can VirtualBox be on such a hardware?

Danielsan

#3 Post by Danielsan »

You should check if you have the right packages installed in order to perform a kernel module compilation through DKMS, you would need at least these:

build-essential
linux-headers-**YOUR ARCHITECTURE**
linux-kbuild-**THE VERSION AVAILABLE ON YOUR DEBIAN**
dkms
virtualbox-dkms

Segfault

#4 Post by Segfault »

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ection=all

OP is trying to install unsupported version, also probably using an unsupported installation method.

Danielsan

#5 Post by Danielsan »

Yep... Your absolutely right!

How did weakV get Virtualbox? Please explain...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

Segfault wrote:Curious, you are using 32-bit Debian. Indicating you have a weak machine with less than 2 GB of RAM
Not true for PAE kernels.
What use can VirtualBox be on such a hardware?
Vbox is available in i386 version so should be usable if not memory limited.
OP is definitely trying to install an outdated version though, so probably not from the repository. VBox is currently 4.3.36 in Jessie, and even better would be to install the 5.1.8 from jessie-backports.

@weakV you didn't mention which version of Debian you are using. We assume stable (currently Jessie) if not otherwise specified.
Solution - install VirtualBox from the Debian repositories using the correct Debian package manager, Synaptic or apt, and you won't have this problem.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Using a 32 bit system with PAE here, (Debian 7.00, wheezy) and Virtual Box is the main program I use, very useful, and works well , in fact really that is about all
I use the Debian 7 for, to power the VM's,...
I do have a little more the 2gb ram, 2.9gb,...but even with 2 or 3 VM's running
I never use 2 gb of ram,..yes if I get using 4 or more VMs, and browser on them,
it starts getting high and needs the swap partition.

weakV

#8 Post by weakV »

First of all, thank you!

I didn't expect this kind of help :)
So, yeah i tried to install on my old machine virtualbox for buildroot and it didn't work bc I'm really clumsy and didn't use the supported installation.
Anyways i switched on my main pc, where I installed debian 64-bit and it works perfectly now. Thanks for all the help :mrgreen: